Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Colouring for 93 year old chap

(45 Posts)
eddiecat78 Mon 15-May-17 14:18:21

My elderly father is enjoying adult colouring books and they keep him occupied in his care home - but I am struggling to find suitable ones. He doesn`t want anything childish but many of the adult ones are too elaborate - his eye sight is not great. We`ve had a few by De-Ann Black which are good quality but he really doesn`t want to be colouring in faeries!
He mainly uses felt pens

Can anyone recommend one?

Yorkshiregel Fri 20-Apr-18 19:12:02

Also try Pinterest, they have lots of colouring pages you can print off for free. Just type 'Adult colouring' in the search box.

chelseababy Fri 20-Apr-18 15:55:55

Pound land did have some with various pictures - and only £1!!

Yorkshiregel Fri 20-Apr-18 15:12:09

I get them from the Work. Also would he like scraperboard pictures to scratch out? They sell them too and they are not expensive.

Feelingmyage55 Sat 18-Nov-17 19:57:42

Sorry so late in commenting - only joined recently. My dad is a similar age and it is difficult to find activities that are satisfying. May I suggest that Amazon have expanded their selection and you can refine your choices. I wanted colouring books with a literary topic, but I see that there are also pattern books more suited to your dad. Also I wonder if watercolour pencils might be better than felt pens. Can be used dry or wet. Lots of price range. My dad worked as a draftsman and I imagine he would actually be happy with squared paper. Random thought - Spirograph? Good luck.

Elrel Sun 01-Oct-17 15:52:29

Whenever I go into The Works I'm pleasantly surprised at both the range of products and the prices.

overthehill Sun 01-Oct-17 15:22:49

I to thought it mad when I first heard of adult colouring but after getting a free one (not good quality) with the paper I decided to have a go and bought a better book. This persuaded me to buy artists pencils at great expense and now I'm hooked. My latest purchase is a book in grayscale.

Rmegan Wed 30-Aug-17 10:53:22

I find that the Johanna Basford are wonderful. But here is a link to the Works website they have a great selection. I find spending an hour or two colouring is very relaxing especially if I have had a very stressful day at work. www.theworks.co.uk/c/non-fiction-books/art-books/adult-colouring-books?gclid=CjwKCAjwxJnNBRAMEiwA8X_-QaGqOEg-l-hTf68ErGzRLgtUAiPhvknzvr2b4jHTXWXT0vvwtx176hoCfogQAvD_BwE

eddiecat78 Wed 17-May-17 13:59:36

Just as an update - I went to The Works - lots to choose from so Thankyou for the recommendation. They also have lots of other craft type things which might be of interest to him - at a reasonable price - so all in all it was a successful visit

eddiecat78 Tue 16-May-17 19:57:43

Paddyann - I`ve found the one you mentioned - looks perfect - thankyou

wot Tue 16-May-17 18:50:50

Luckygirl, ?

wot Tue 16-May-17 18:49:24

I've got one of Victorian rooms which is not too elaborate and looks great coloured in.

Elegran Tue 16-May-17 18:40:03

eddiecat I have succeeded at last in scanning and loading the coloured side of the page from the RHS book. Probably too late to be any use to you, but it does show that he would not be on his own in choosing colours.

paddyann Tue 16-May-17 11:53:12

the last one I bought her was just called "Flowers-colouring book for adults" ,if you type that in the search bar you'll find a few.I think it had sunflowers on the cover

gillybob Tue 16-May-17 09:44:09

Not sure what you mean by "freestyle* eddiecat78? But the Emma Ball one is made up of defined seaside scenes (pictures) such as beach huts, ice cream van, seascapes etc. They aren't pages of flowers or patterns.

Good luck in your quest. there are lots of lovely ones around at the minute.

eddiecat78 Tue 16-May-17 07:53:55

Thanks to everyone - I`m off to The Works tomorrow. The RHS ones and the Emma Ball coastal are lovely but a bit too "freestyle" for him unfortunately - he gets quite anxious about choosing colours for larger areas. Don`t ask me why!

BlueBelle Mon 15-May-17 22:28:04

Works has EVERYTHING every subject and level possible they should have something for your dad I like the really complex ones but they have them for all ranges and a huge amount too

gillybob Mon 15-May-17 21:53:19

I have the Emma Ball Coastal colouring book Eddiecat78 . If the gentleman is fond of the seaside? It's not complicated at all and you can really let loose with colour . I love Emma Ball and the DGC bought me the book for a present .

Luckygirl Mon 15-May-17 21:46:43

Well, my DD bought me an adult colouring book - the most important word here is "adult" - I will say no more, except that I used a lot of pink! grin

Elegran Mon 15-May-17 20:41:14

I hope your Mum enjoys it. I haven't started colouring mine yet - only got it two days ago.

Nana3 Mon 15-May-17 19:29:25

Thanks for this thread eddiecat78. Best wishes to you and your father.
I have just used your link Eligran and bought a colouring book from RHS for my Mum and me to do together in the care home. It will make a change from the Woman's Weekly. Thank you.

Jalima1108 Mon 15-May-17 19:20:05

The Range has colouring books too, I bought some for the DGD at Christmas.
I hope they didn't rip them up and eat them!
Someone bought me a couple when I was immobile - they are still pristine as the day I received them.

They may come in useful one day though.

Elegran Mon 15-May-17 18:48:13

Not so successful. The printer/scanner won't send scans direct to the PC so I have to save them onto an SD card, then move the card to the PC. It worked fine with the black/white scan but now it not only doesn't seem to have the coloured scan saved properly but it also has lost the black/white one.

I shall turn off the PC and restart it and try again after I have eaten (can hear oven timer calling me)

Elegran Mon 15-May-17 18:33:23

Success with the outline, eddiecat will now try with the coloured version.

Elegran Mon 15-May-17 18:11:12

eddiecat I shall try to scan one of the pages in my RHS book and post it (no promises!)

eddiecat78 Mon 15-May-17 17:54:07

thanks
I think the buildings one would be too elaborate for him - he can`t manage small detail. The RHS ones look possible - but again I wish they would show more of the pages so I can judge if they are suitable. There was one which sounded ideal but then I realised it is "compact" - which means it is too small