Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Buttons

(8 Posts)
grannyticktock Wed 02-Aug-17 21:52:58

I have to opposite situation: I have a big box of thousands of buttons. When I was little, I loved playing with my Mum's or my Granny's button collections. I inherited my Mum's boxful, added my own, and collected others from elsewhere. I used to sew quite a bit, but now I only raid the button box for the occasional replacement for a lost one.
I have used a few to make little necklace/pendants, but don't really know what to do with all the rest.
So Tanith, if you tell me what you're looking for, I might have just the thing!

tiggypiro Mon 26-Jun-17 20:40:36

Try charity shops

tanith Mon 26-Jun-17 15:40:36

Thanks everyone thats really helpful, all our wool/craft type shops seem to of gone.. I was wondering about Dunelm but I will look at all your suggestions too.

shysal Mon 26-Jun-17 15:37:42

If you search ebay under 'buttons on card', there are over 1,000 pages of results. Hop you will find what you need.
I am lucky to have Mason's for fabric and haberdashery in Abingdon only a few miles from me. They won't be on line though. They still do their adding up of purchases on a paper bag!
www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xbuttons+on+card.TRS0&_nkw=buttons+on+card&_sacat=0

mcem Mon 26-Jun-17 15:33:26

Or Google 'buy individual buttons'. I did and found smartasabutton where they start at 20p.

mcem Mon 26-Jun-17 15:28:16

Locally we have 2 craft shops which display loose buttons in tubes and sell them individually.
Don't you have any craft/knitting shops other than Hobbycraft?
I suggest that if you post a description here, someone might just find them for you.
I'd be willing to try.

Karen1959 Mon 26-Jun-17 15:26:46

Hi Tanith. Try shawsdirect.com. They sell buttons on cards and are reasonably priced.

tanith Mon 26-Jun-17 15:14:11

Hi hope someone can help I'm knitting for two new babies arriving in the Autumn and now need buttons. Just been to Hobbycraft to find they don't sell the buttons on cards like they used to. They do packs of very small buttons or jars of mixed buttons none of which are any good to me.
So where can I still see a good choice of size and colours of buttons? I've tried online but they are asking 95p per button for the size I want and I need 8 of them costing twice as much as the wool. thanks..