Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Left handedness and creativity?

(50 Posts)
grannymouse303 Tue 15-Aug-17 10:04:46

I saw this article over the weekend and was interested in what people think about the "left handed people are more creative" thing you hear from time to time.

Any creative lefties on here?

Anniebach Tue 15-Aug-17 10:08:00

Meeeeeee, ?I have three sisters right handers, I cannot think of one interest I share with them,

Charleygirl Tue 15-Aug-17 10:46:02

I am not in the slightest bit creative.

Teetime Tue 15-Aug-17 10:55:22

DH and DS are lefties - not a creative bone in their bodies- the first is a bureaucrat with sport tendencies and the latter is an accountant through and through (counts the vegetables at dinner).

Charleygirl Tue 15-Aug-17 10:57:35

We are supposed to be more intelligent and I would certainly go along with that!!!!

Anniebach Tue 15-Aug-17 11:17:38

someone keeps reminding me - Hitler was left handed

Alima Tue 15-Aug-17 11:28:30

Noooo, definitely not! I haven't got a creative bone in my body. Not unless it involves potatoes anyway. (Always awful at art in school until we had to do a potato print. Came second in the class for that). I didn't know about Hitler, as bad as Gary Glitter having the same birthday as me. Just thought, my sister is right handed and she is even less creative than me.

Anniebach Tue 15-Aug-17 11:31:46

Ok, forget .hitler, try this - everyone is born right handed but the brightest 10% develope the use of their left hand

Charleygirl Tue 15-Aug-17 11:34:32

Anniebach I am in total agreement with that.

yggdrasil Tue 15-Aug-17 12:36:16

Oh no Annie, about 10% of people are naturally left handed. It is just that in a world where right-handers are majority, left-handers have to be able to use both to some extent. I don't think we are more creative, but there is definitely a preponderance of L-H in the IT industry.

ninathenana Tue 15-Aug-17 12:40:24

D is a leftie and not remotely creative. She dosen't even cook very well.
When she moved areas and went to meet the other guide leader of her new pack she told her in no uncertain terms "Donot ask me to help with crafts"

Anniebach Tue 15-Aug-17 13:36:40

Yggdrasil, it was said for laughs , and I am not a do it with both hands person, I am a left handed

Charleygirl Tue 15-Aug-17 14:07:00

I can use either hand which can be very useful.

HildaW Tue 15-Aug-17 17:26:49

My OH is very left handed.....is analytical, organised and plans everything and is far from creative. I am very right handed.....am messy disorganised and very creative....so hey ho!

kittylester Tue 15-Aug-17 19:24:38

I'm lefthanded, as are DD2 and her eldest daughter. We are the 3 least creative people in our family. We are very practical. dsoninlaw is left handed and he is neither creative nor practical. grin

Liaise Tue 15-Aug-17 19:46:07

I am left handed, DS2 is also and his daughter. DH is right handed , DS1 also , but one of his daughters is ambidextrous. None of us is creative but we are all fairly well organised.

Stansgran Tue 15-Aug-17 20:35:27

I was born "sinister" but my father insisted the world was made for right handed people so I write with my right and I sew with my left hand. I am very organised but my sewing room is an embarrassment. I am not an artist but a copyist. I made these recently but all from patterns on the internet.

Maggiemaybe Wed 16-Aug-17 08:21:06

I have a very practical and uncreative left-handed DD, and a right-hander, who's a graphic designer. smile DS hedged his bets by being right-handed and left-footed (very useful when playing football).

polly123 Wed 16-Aug-17 11:22:37

I have a left handed friend who is very creative and I am an right handed artist. I have a left handed son who isn't a bit creative. Very confusing.

annifrance Wed 16-Aug-17 11:26:15

Whole family very creative and everyone is right-handed.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 16-Aug-17 11:29:47

I'm very creative (maybe a good copier) but definitely right handed. When quilting I'm told you're supposed to have your less dominant hand underneath the work and push the needle through with it - but I find this difficult as my LH is clumsy.
I think this is too big a generalisation. Stansgran your work is lovely.

GrannyMosh Wed 16-Aug-17 11:47:24

I'm left-handed. I can't draw to save my life, but I make greetings cards from scratch (ie, not kits), knit, sew, crochet, embroider, design dolls' clothes, used to write poetry but no longer have the time. I can think of at least three more skills I want to acquire, too!

Shesanana Wed 16-Aug-17 11:47:59

I'm left handed and useless at arts and crafts sad

grandMattie Wed 16-Aug-17 11:48:41

I'm extremely practical and reasonably creative, but am right-handed.
Often left-handedness comes with the disadvantage of dyslexia, like DS2. They have to be extremely mentally agile to adjust to all situations. DS2 is a mechanical engineer and has to find solutions at the drop of a hat. His siblings are hopeless on the whole, are right-handed and very academic.
It takes all sorts to make a world!

pamdixon Wed 16-Aug-17 11:54:00

I'm also a leftie and totally uncreative! So glad to know I'm not the only one out there. But since we are left-handed people in a right handed world (if you get my drift!) lefties are supposedly using both hemispheres of the brain more...therefore we should be more intelligent. I have dreadful hand-writing and am very clumsy....!!