Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Sewing sleeves into knitted jumper

(29 Posts)
Bathsheba Wed 10-Jan-18 09:57:30

inserted, not insterted !!

Bathsheba Wed 10-Jan-18 09:56:37

No, don't ease the right angle into a straight line. The 8 cast off stitches (about an inch?) should be sewn along the sides of the sleeve. The straight top of the sleeve is sewn along the rest of the front and back edge. In other words, if you stitch the shoulder seams and then lay the front and back down flat, the sleeve should be insterted into the armhole shape, with the right angled corner of the sleeve fitting into the right angled corner of the front/back. I hope that makes sense!

Iam64 Wed 10-Jan-18 09:35:02

MamaCaz - put a sentence into google asking how to sew a jumper together and you will be directed to various sites where knitters demonstrate exactly that.

MamaCaz Wed 10-Jan-18 09:21:20

I'm assembling a drop-shoulder (I think that's the right term!) jumper that I've just finished knitting for my GS. I can't decide whether it is best to sew in the sleeves before or after the side seams are sewn, so I thought I would ask you talented ladies what you would do smile.

Also, the body has about 8 stitches cast off each side where the underarm will be (all on one row, not gradual). I presume that I have ease the right-angle of these cast-offs into a curve/straight line as I join in the straight top of the sleeves?