Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Sewing teacher for DGD

(13 Posts)
Hm999 Mon 12-Feb-18 20:34:59

Talk to assistants at local fabric shop

Polly99 Mon 15-Jan-18 21:25:04

If you have a Hobbycraft near you they often run one off craft sessions for both adults and children. At least the one near me does.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 15-Jan-18 20:39:46

It seems something someone should set up to bring together crafty grannies and potentially crafty children. I can't think of a nicer thing to do.

midgey Mon 15-Jan-18 20:30:39

If you have a local Abakhans they run Saturday groups but more importantly they may know someone locally.

Crafting Mon 15-Jan-18 20:25:28

When I'm not so lethargic then I help them learn sewing ?

Crafting Mon 15-Jan-18 20:24:31

I help my DGDs to lethargic how to sew. If your GD has her own machine what about her watching some you tube videos to pick up hints. Really good hobby I think.

kittylester Mon 15-Jan-18 19:39:35

I've just heard from dd that they are buying DGD a sewing mchine until they find one. I think dd has a vested interest in this!! grin

ninathenana Mon 15-Jan-18 18:48:15

Do you or someone you know post on FB kitty ?
Maybe you could ask on your local page for recommendations. We have people asking similar questions on our local page.

Iam64 Mon 15-Jan-18 18:43:01

kittylester, google is your friend. I hope you can find somewhere - craft of all kinds, sewing, knitting,crochet all having a resurgence and we have a number of groups within a few miles

M0nica Mon 15-Jan-18 17:59:35

I would be interested if there were any such courses. DD and I have introduced DGD to sewing, which she loves, and she has been making clothes for her dolls and now herself since she was 6 (she is now 10). I enjoy sewing, but I am not very good and I would love to know of adult and child course in the school holidays.

In fact I am thinking of approaching a local craft school to see if they would be interested in running one. I will be interested to see what comes up on this thread.

jusnoneed Mon 15-Jan-18 17:58:26

Do you have a local haberdashery shop? They may know of someone who gives lessons, our local one does them in a room above the shop.

Ilovecheese Mon 15-Jan-18 17:51:38

What about The Quilters' Guild? They have a Young Quilters group.

kittylester Mon 15-Jan-18 17:50:17

DGD appears to have a talent for needlework (and all things arty really) and has been going to sewing 'workshops' with a few other girls of her sort of age - she's just 9.

Unfortunately, the workshops have ended because of the long term illness of the woman who runs them.

DGD will be distraught when she finds out as it is a huge passion.

Can anyone suggest ways of finding more such classes? DD can't find anything by Googling and only found this lady by word of mouth.