Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Looking for seersucker fabric!

(12 Posts)
knottinghill Tue 13-Mar-18 13:49:01

Hi, I can't seem to find this 80s style seersucker swim fabric anywhere, although I know people are using it as I have seen many designs. I'm really keen to find it and if anyone has any suggestions that would be great! Thanks

Oopsadaisy12 Tue 13-Mar-18 14:23:21

Have you tried eBay? I bought some lovely new fabrics from a store in New York, even with postage it was far cheaper than in the UK and it arrived within the week. I took it into our local fabric store and showed him and he said that no one wants that kind of stuff!
really?
He's now selling craft supplies and wool. Idiot.

ninathenana Tue 13-Mar-18 16:18:58

Look here www.minervacrafts.com

Fennel Tue 13-Mar-18 17:26:21

You can get most cotton fabrics at a lower price from the USA, but sometimes the postage (shipping) outweighs the price of the fabric:
www.fabric.com/apparel-fashion-fabric-seersucker-fabric.aspx

Fennel Tue 13-Mar-18 17:32:21

ps just seen your post, oopsadaisy.
I bought 6m of corduroy from an american company. The fabric was very cheap - about $3 a metre, but the postage was about £30!

Nanabilly Tue 13-Mar-18 17:33:32

Try abakhan fabric shop .they have allsorts of costume type fabrics so you may get lucky.

Nannarose Tue 13-Mar-18 18:15:27

2 sites where I often find unusual fabric are: fabricuk and myfabrics.

Auntieflo Tue 13-Mar-18 19:27:12

There is, or used to be, a lovely fabric shop in Sturminster Newton, Devon, that would send samples to you. I hope it's still there.

tessagee Wed 14-Mar-18 16:32:36

Try Croft Mill in Lancashire (they're online). I've been using them for years and have indeed bought seersucker from them in the past. Their prices are very reasonable and they change stock quite regularly. Hope this helps.

Fennel Wed 14-Mar-18 16:58:33

Tessa - I've just had a look at the Croft Mill website - it just might get me sewing again ( when we get our things out of store.)

Feelingmyage55 Wed 14-Mar-18 17:17:16

Oh dear - just been on Croft Mill website - why did you mention it? Fabric! Worse than chocolate, even more difficult to hide.

tessagee Thu 15-Mar-18 11:29:29

Oops yes, that fabric stash is a bit of a worry.