Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Painting by numbers

(57 Posts)
Sunlover Fri 20-Apr-18 18:44:03

I loved painting by numbers as a child and recently discovered kits for adults. Bought one from Amazon. Pleased to find I still enjoy it! Hoping the finished painting will be good enough to put on the wall. Anyone else tried it.

Catterygirl Thu 14-Mar-24 23:05:28

I cannot imagine what people have been saying about a simple painting hobby to be deleted.

biglouis Thu 14-Mar-24 22:56:21

I think painting by numbers teaches patience, neatness and meticulousness but not innovation or true creativity. It can give a starting point for people who would like to paint but dont have sufficient confidence in their own ability to begin.

The posters who said it enabled them to "zone out" have a point. I find this with hand embroidery and patchwork. There is something about the feel of the fabric and the needle and thread that is sooooo relaxing. My grandmother taught me English piecing which is very formulaic in using templates and following a procedure. It uses many of the same skills as PBN. That was why I moved on into freehand and crazy patchwork.

Freya5 Thu 14-Mar-24 22:06:40

Remember years ago painting by numbers, The Laughing Cavalier,lot of work, now lost
during all the moves.
Not sure I'd have the patience now .

flappergirl Thu 14-Mar-24 21:57:59

Blimey, paint by numbers eh. Less controversy on the Palestine thread.

crazyH Thu 14-Mar-24 21:30:25

Never have I seen so many posts being ‘reported’ or deleted
by GN 😫

biglouis Thu 14-Mar-24 21:29:42

I did a painting by numbers of two horses in a field when I was about 14. I didnt enjoy it because I was following someone elses instructions and gave me no sense of achievement. I never enjoyed following knitting patterns for that reason. I like to make up my own designs for things and allow them to evolve as I go along.

Each to their own.

Whiff Thu 14-Mar-24 21:21:36

It's a shame such an innocent topic as painting by numbers has so many nasty posts that have been deleted.

People are free to do what they enjoy..I always had a painting by numbers kit for Christmas when I was young . It was great fun. Unfortunately I wouldn't beable to do it now as my hands tremble to much. My grandson tells me I am doing better at colouring as I stay in the lines more he's 6 I am nearly 66.

Funny enough I can cross stitch and my hands don't tremble. No idea why🤷.

Would love to see people's finished works . Love the wolf on page one.

Taniaa Wed 13-Mar-24 06:58:18

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Taniaa Wed 13-Mar-24 06:58:03

Deedaa Fri 12-Jan-24 21:33:48

I don't know if many of you know the Calvin and Hobbes cartoons in the Express. My all time favourite has Calvin painting by numbers. Hobbes points out that he isn't using the right colours in the right places. Calvin's answer is "If I did that I'd have the same painting they show on the box"!

Chardy Sat 06-Jan-24 12:12:38

There are several companies who will take your photo and turn it into a Paint By Numbers, return both a canvas and the appropriate paints.

Has anyone tried this?

Purplepixie Sat 06-Jan-24 10:33:25

I have never done these but I can imagine they are great for winding down with. You could trace the original painting and do several of these on either paper or canvas. Happy painting.

caspianmoonstone Fri 05-Jan-24 13:45:01

I believe almost every child's childhood has painting memories. I also was a big fan of playing with watercolors in my old times. However, with time I got busy with other activities and forgot about painting but I am still are great fan now. Some of the best artists on my list are Fred Kabotie, Miguel Camarena From Miguel Camarena Art Gallery, and Wayne Thiebaud they all are artists from my birthplace Arizona.

frontire90 Wed 20-Dec-23 08:00:53

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

frontire90 Tue 19-Dec-23 13:15:06

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 01-Dec-23 16:36:30

Reported.

thepainter Fri 01-Dec-23 15:33:51

I have such fond memories of paint by numbers as a child, and I recently stumbled upon kits for adults. I decided to get one from Amazon, and I'm thrilled to report that I still find it enjoyable! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the finished painting will turn out well enough to proudly display on my wall. Has anyone else given it a try?

Deedaa Wed 16-Aug-23 22:25:13

I wanted to try painting by numbers when I was a child but it was complete anathema to my artist parents. The sets I have seen advertised recently seem to have moved on enormously since those days and look as if you could produce some really attractive paintings.

0ddOne Sun 23-Jul-23 18:34:08

I'm an amateur artist, and love drawing, painting or anything creative, really. During lockdown I bought a couple of PBNs on a whim from Masterpiece By Numbers (an excellent company), and am absolutely hooked. Though I can paint, I find the PBNs to be a completely different experience. It allows me to zone out and not think too much. It's very relaxing. I'm in the middle of a Spitfire for myself, and a pirate skull for my DGD, who, along with her mother loves skulls. I did a different skull for her mum, my DD, for her birthday a couple of years ago and DGD asked for one for her room. I actually quite like the one I'm doing now so might do it again for myself at some point

MarrieSaunder Fri 07-Jul-23 19:03:07

Chardy Thu 01-Jun-23 11:56:51

If you don't like what you've painted, put it on one side and look again in a few days' time. Amazing how much better it seems!
Similarly take a photo of it on your phone, that makes paintings look better too.

pascal30 Thu 01-Jun-23 10:07:37

Lovetopaint037

Just sit in front of something simple like a flower in a vase. Look very closely and have a go at drawing.
It’s not about some special talent. It’s all about looking. If the result is far from what you want do not mind. The resulting painting may well turn out better than you think. Remember be bold so no tiny drawings. Large and bold. You will be surprised.

exactly...

taratorit Thu 01-Jun-23 07:51:29

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 24-May-23 14:45:15

Reported

gokeez Wed 24-May-23 14:17:27