Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Painting by numbers

(12 Posts)
Sunlover Fri 20-Apr-18 18:44:03

I loved painting by numbers as a child and recently discovered kits for adults. Bought one from Amazon. Pleased to find I still enjoy it! Hoping the finished painting will be good enough to put on the wall. Anyone else tried it.

Marydoll Fri 20-Apr-18 19:03:58

This brings back happy memories, Sunlover.
As a child I asked for a painting by numbers kit for Christmas. I received the most beautiful oil painting kit of a ballerina. I can still picture it clearly in my mind.
I would imagine it would be a very therapeutic hobby. If you decide to try it, please post a photo of the finished painting for us all to admire.

Greyduster Fri 20-Apr-18 20:12:22

I’ve never done painting by numbers, but years ago someone gave me, for my birthday, a painting kit that was just an outline sketch that you had to put paint on. They provided acrylic paints, but I used my own oils and the finished result was rather pleasing. It was a bowl of ox eye daisies and iris. I think they were a forerunner of what is now known as greyscale painting or painting without numbers and you can still buy the kits it seems. Anything that gets people picking up a paint brush has my seal of approval.

jusnoneed Fri 20-Apr-18 22:17:51

I haven't done any myself but an American friend has done some lovely ones, she does them as gifts too.

ninathenana Sat 21-Apr-18 08:11:42

DH has done several of these. He is not remotely arty but can produce a rather good picture this way. The finished results of the slight more expensive ones (£20ish rather than. £10) are much better, due to the finer detail. He does sometimes need the aid of the magnifying lamp though.
We buy them on line too.

shysal Sat 21-Apr-18 12:05:26

I had a free trial of a 'painting' by numbers app on my tablet, which I enjoyed. However I refuse to pay beyond the free trial! Sorry, I can't remember the name of it.

Toddleo Sun 12-Aug-18 13:27:49

Colorfy app is a good app for painting by numbers type activities - without the numbers. It's free

rebecca1989 Tue 31-Mar-20 05:46:37

I just did my first Paint By Numbers I bought of www.paintplot.com and it was so enjoyable, it took a while but I was patient and careful with the lines and it turned out amazing, I am so happy smile

almostelderly Tue 07-Apr-20 08:31:10

I am not painting by numbers but I am doing 'mindfulness' colouring. The word 'mindfulness' usually makes me cringe, but I find the colouring therapeutic and relaxing. There are some wonderful, unusual colouring books available from Waterstones. I heartily recommend the pastime.

GranOf4Monkeys Tue 09-Jun-20 09:33:42

I keep saying to myself that I want to take up painting by numbers again. My daughter has an app on her tablet but nothing as good as holding a paintbrush.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 01-Sep-20 11:24:27

Just sit in front of something simple like a flower in a vase. Look very closely and have a go at drawing.
It’s not about some special talent. It’s all about looking. If the result is far from what you want do not mind. The resulting painting may well turn out better than you think. Remember be bold so no tiny drawings. Large and bold. You will be surprised.

Happysexagenarian Mon 07-Sep-20 00:03:41

I have done a few over the years. They are now much more detailed with a wider range of colours to achieve better results. I like that many of them are on canvas now. My son gave me one for my birthday this year. I'll get around to it eventually, a bit inundated with Christmas projects at the moment.