Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Painting by numbers

(9 Posts)
Sunlover Fri 20-Apr-18 18:44:03

I loved painting by numbers as a child and recently discovered kits for adults. Bought one from Amazon. Pleased to find I still enjoy it! Hoping the finished painting will be good enough to put on the wall. Anyone else tried it.

Marydoll Fri 20-Apr-18 19:03:58

This brings back happy memories, Sunlover.
As a child I asked for a painting by numbers kit for Christmas. I received the most beautiful oil painting kit of a ballerina. I can still picture it clearly in my mind.
I would imagine it would be a very therapeutic hobby. If you decide to try it, please post a photo of the finished painting for us all to admire.

Greyduster Fri 20-Apr-18 20:12:22

I’ve never done painting by numbers, but years ago someone gave me, for my birthday, a painting kit that was just an outline sketch that you had to put paint on. They provided acrylic paints, but I used my own oils and the finished result was rather pleasing. It was a bowl of ox eye daisies and iris. I think they were a forerunner of what is now known as greyscale painting or painting without numbers and you can still buy the kits it seems. Anything that gets people picking up a paint brush has my seal of approval.

jusnoneed Fri 20-Apr-18 22:17:51

I haven't done any myself but an American friend has done some lovely ones, she does them as gifts too.

ninathenana Sat 21-Apr-18 08:11:42

DH has done several of these. He is not remotely arty but can produce a rather good picture this way. The finished results of the slight more expensive ones (£20ish rather than. £10) are much better, due to the finer detail. He does sometimes need the aid of the magnifying lamp though.
We buy them on line too.

shysal Sat 21-Apr-18 12:05:26

I had a free trial of a 'painting' by numbers app on my tablet, which I enjoyed. However I refuse to pay beyond the free trial! Sorry, I can't remember the name of it.

Toddleo Sun 12-Aug-18 13:27:49

Colorfy app is a good app for painting by numbers type activities - without the numbers. It's free

rebecca1989 Tue 31-Mar-20 05:46:37

I just did my first Paint By Numbers I bought of www.paintplot.com and it was so enjoyable, it took a while but I was patient and careful with the lines and it turned out amazing, I am so happy smile

almostelderly Tue 07-Apr-20 08:31:10

I am not painting by numbers but I am doing 'mindfulness' colouring. The word 'mindfulness' usually makes me cringe, but I find the colouring therapeutic and relaxing. There are some wonderful, unusual colouring books available from Waterstones. I heartily recommend the pastime.