Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Unwanted knitting

(47 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 22-Jul-18 15:09:19

I volunteer in a charity shop and find it so sad when we are given hand-knitted baby clothes which have never been worn. I knitted a few items for little grandchildren which I saw were not being used so gave up.
Mums now apparently prefer cheap easily-washed supermarket clothes for their babies and I must admit to being less than excited by the odd things my MIL sent for my children, in colours which never matched anything else.
It’s best to ask what, if anything, is wanted before wasting your time knitting for children.

Farmor15 Sun 26-Aug-18 20:07:46

Thanks for the link janea. Some great patterns for children there.

Jalima1108 Sun 26-Aug-18 15:47:06

Thanks Liz46

I can't say I blame anyone trying to pull out a cannula, necessary but horrid

Liz46 Sun 26-Aug-18 12:45:17

If anyone enjoys knitting but has nobody who appreciates the efforts, maybe consider joining 'Handmade for Dementia' on Facebook. I make cannula sleeves for dementia patients who have to have a cannula. Patients tend to pull out the cannula which is distressing for everyone and costs the NHS money. There are safety rules to follow but it is a good way of using up all the odd bits of wool (even tiny amounts make a 'twiddle'. Nurses are very appreciative of our efforts. If anyone wants to know more, feel free to pm me.

Jalima1108 Sun 26-Aug-18 12:40:57

[gasp]
It is a work of art!

janeainsworth Sun 26-Aug-18 12:38:58

Thanks all for your kind comments. My DGD is quite a character and certainly has her moments. grin

In between knitting for DGCs, for about the past 5 years I’ve been engaged in knitting a bedspreadshock
I’m hoping it will become a family heirloom (if indeed I finish it before then) but so far no one has expressed any interest grin

Jalima1108 Sat 25-Aug-18 15:16:57

That is sweet (sorry!)

Jalima1108 Sat 25-Aug-18 15:16:42

That sweet Witzend
Our dollies are wearing clothes that my DM knitted (probably 3 ply) for DD1 over 40 years ago.

Witzend Sat 25-Aug-18 13:02:52

I am full of admiration for the unicorn jumper! I hope Gdd will never ask for similar, since I have a feeling it's the sort of thing I'd start and curse a great deal over, only to have it end up unfinished and ultimately chucked.

Since I belatedly came to accept my limitations when it comes to knitting, nothing has been unfinished/chucked for quite a while, thank goodness.

Mind you not long ago I came across some pastel-rainbow yarn I had bought to make a cardi for a little dd - she's now 38! - so,long ago. Don't know why it never got made. But at at least some of it has made a nice little outfit for an old doll Gdd likes to play with when she visits.
Pic attached!

travelsafar Fri 24-Aug-18 07:26:57

I find the best thing to knit or crochet for a new baby is a beautiful shawl or blanket. A shawl can be used at the christening if there is one. Blankets are ideal for just laying baby on when putting onto the floor or over them on chilly days when in pushchair. They are also lovely to keep as an heirloom if particularly beautiful.

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Aug-18 06:50:51

Thank you for the link Jane they look good!

Many years ago I knitted a quite complicated new born cardigan for my new DGS. It was only worn once before he outgrew it and I later found it in the charity box. I’ve rescued it as it was such a difficult thing to knit and I can’t bear to get rid of it!

sukie Fri 24-Aug-18 03:09:25

Impressive work janeainsworth and such an adorable DGD!

pinkprincess Fri 24-Aug-18 00:30:15

Some of the items I knitted for my grandchildren were gratefully received and worn.

Now I am a great grandmother to two little boys and stopped knitting for them as I never saw the items again

At the most I knit for the premature baby unit (one of my granddaughters was a premature baby and was in the unit till she was 5 weeks old)

MargaretX Thu 23-Aug-18 21:28:40

You have to really consider what will be wanted by modern mothers.
I knit a tiny jacket which I always see again on the baby photo because its the only thing that fits a 6 lb baby.

I knitted it 3 times for triplets and they were almost worn out. As to ours I still see it because it fits most dolls and Teddies.

janeainsworth Thu 23-Aug-18 21:22:55

grin

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Aug-18 20:41:57

The horse's head pattern is similar to the one I knitted for DD - only hers had a mane which was stitched on afterwards. It was yellow (apparently the more appropriate colour for riding!).

I didn't know that unicorns had rainbow coloured manes, must remember that vital piece of information.

janeainsworth Thu 23-Aug-18 20:39:22

Farmor This is the site I got the pattern from.
www.oldlancaster.co.uk/designs/pages/lindasmotifs.html
Scroll down & you will see the unicorn one. I modified it after DD informed me that unicorns have rainbow coloured manes. ?
Good luck!grin

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Aug-18 20:36:16

I'm not showing the pattern to DGD2 grin
Well done!

janeainsworth Thu 23-Aug-18 20:33:33

n&g & jalima
The unicorn was a nightmare shock
I’ve done Fair Isle knitting in the past in which you only ever have two different colours in one row.

But the unicorn’s mane involved 5 or 6 colours in a single row and I spent more time untangling the different colours than actually knittinggrin
DGD was delighted though smile

muffinthemoo Thu 23-Aug-18 12:24:42

Mine wore all the wee matinee jackets they were given, promise! They fit loosely enough as a layer over a babygro. I had winter babies though.

Farmor15 Thu 23-Aug-18 12:16:08

As Witzend said, some patterns for babies are old fashioned and fussy, which is why they may not be worn. I’ve rarely seen a modern baby in a matinee jacket, but still see them for sale at craft fairs.

Cardigans and jumpers in the bright, multicoloured, synthetic yarns that are widely available now are popular with my grandchildren, but probably only up to 2 or 3 years old. The Fairisle effect ones are fun to knit as you see the pattern develop without any effort.

Not sure if GD is into unicorns yet but janea’s one looks great. Must look out for patterns like that.

muffinthemoo Thu 23-Aug-18 12:03:42

I am crafty but can’t knit for toffee despite many years of effort (i can’t count stitches reliably sad ) I would kill to be able to knit the beautiful patterns I see.

I have used everything hand knitted given to us because I know what an investment of time and effort it is. Some of it will be getting a third runout on new baby shortly.

There are facebook groups where knitters sell their baby items if you have unwanted things (that makes me sad). I have picked up some lovely things there.

Alpaca, though, I would die if I got something in alpaca!! Amazing,

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Aug-18 11:48:52

I knitted horse-mad DD2 a jumper with a horse on the front (complete with mane!) many years ago.

I don't think that the DGD are aware of the unicorn knitting patterns thank goodness. Well done janea!

DoraMarr Thu 23-Aug-18 10:55:35

My mother used to knit all our jumpers and cardigans, but by her own admission she was not the best craftswoman. We all had grey or green school jumpers, a best one for Sunday in another colour, and a stripy Saturday knit made from all the remnants of previous garments! Our next door neighbour was a very good knitter, and made her son a shawl collar cardigan with a picture of a cowboy on a rearing horse on the back. How I envied that cardigan!

NanaandGrampy Thu 23-Aug-18 10:43:24

Janeainsworth that brought back wonderful memories for me.

My Mum knitted 'picture' sweaters for all her grandchildren and my girls loved them. They must have taken her hours and hours and I don't think I ever really appreciated the effort.

she also knitted all their school cardigans until they went to secondary school and best cardigans in white lol

I wish I could thank her properly .

BlueBelle Thu 23-Aug-18 06:52:25

We get beautiful hand knitted items in the charity shop we sell them for £1.50 each and really they don’t sell odd ones go now and then but for the most part they sit there for ever