Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Unwanted knitting

(46 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 22-Jul-18 15:09:19

I volunteer in a charity shop and find it so sad when we are given hand-knitted baby clothes which have never been worn. I knitted a few items for little grandchildren which I saw were not being used so gave up.
Mums now apparently prefer cheap easily-washed supermarket clothes for their babies and I must admit to being less than excited by the odd things my MIL sent for my children, in colours which never matched anything else.
It’s best to ask what, if anything, is wanted before wasting your time knitting for children.

jusnoneed Sun 22-Jul-18 16:08:27

I found that my ex dil never used the jumpers etc that I made my grandchildren so I stopped making things.
My niece was delighted when I asked her if she would like handmade items for her babies, she loves anything made especially by someone.
So I agree it's best to ask first.

Ilovecheese Sun 22-Jul-18 16:25:59

Lots of mums like hand knitted items, as long as they are in machine washable yarn and can be tumble dried. There are plenty of modern patterns for babies nowadays e.g. Debbie Bliss, so I think it depends on what the garments are like rather than mums preferring cheap supermarket clothes, they like modern, easy care clothes for their children, whether hand made or not.

Coolgran65 Sun 22-Jul-18 16:42:41

I thought differently.
Our 4 daughters in law all love home knitted cardies and hats for the wee ones. DIL asked me could I do her and DS an adult version each. It's a cat hat, knit an oblong, fold it to make a square and stitch up the sides. When worn the two points look like cat's ears. Easy peasy.

The cardies and hats for the one little girl are very pretty and 'different'. For the 5 boys I've knitted each at one year old a pale grey duffle coat with hood in double moss stitch. It is truly loved.

Perhaps it is the particular recipient mum/s who appreciate the craft and work that goes into it.

And that it's just a little bit different.

Coolgran65 Sun 22-Jul-18 16:43:15

Definitely cost more than a cardi out of Asda ......

M0nica Sun 22-Jul-18 19:00:05

It is like any decision to give someone something, make sure in advance it is something they will appreciate. Think how many Christmas presents, and probably birthday presents as well, end up on ebay within 24 hours.

J52 Sun 22-Jul-18 19:36:30

My DILs are not fans of hand knitting, so I now knit premature items foe the baby units.
Keeps both of us happy!

Greyduster Sun 22-Jul-18 19:43:58

I knitted for my grandson from day one and never had a garment that went unworn. As he got older I would let DD choose the patterns and wools, but in the end it was GS himself who put the lid on it by refusing to wear tops or sweaters, home made or store bought! It has been thus ever since apart from the odd hoodie. My patterns were all passed on to my DiL, who recently became an auntie and whose knits have also been well received.

Beau Sun 22-Jul-18 20:44:37

My grandson wore most of what I knitted but the most used item still is a heavyweight red pram blanket I knitted to match the pram - people have stopped me in the street to ask where I bought it. (I look after him every day). I made up the pattern myself to try out all the stitches in super chunky - I'm not a super skilled knitter but it does look lovely and warm, I must admit. The other item used every night was knitted on circular needles in moss stitch and quite thin wool - it was like a baby bag you popped them into up to the shoulders, I think it was a Debbie Bliss pattern - it must have been very comforting as he was always a good sleeper. It was hard for me to knit but I'm sure an expert knitter could knock them up more easily - I don't think anyone would turn their noses up at that, it was beautiful and practical.

womblekelly Sun 22-Jul-18 22:52:12

Anything I’ve knitted has been well received.. in fact my niece took great delight in telling her friends when asked where they could buy the arran cardigan her son was wearing that it was a one off original .....it was one of mine. As said above, use wool that is machine washable, knit for the seasons, and knit for 3 to 6 month’s or above as babies grow so fast.

harrigran Sun 22-Jul-18 23:02:56

I used to be a prolific knitter but DC's generation do not want the little cardigans. I asked what clothes would be acceptable and was told organic cotton, uncomplicated and could be just popped in the washer.

Humbertbear Mon 23-Jul-18 08:13:11

I knitted all three GC a cot blanket which was used over their car seats. I tried knitting cardies etc but they were not well received. The only really welcome garment was a bolero knitted in a yarn that looked like fake fur.
My MiL knitted my daughter jumpers from patterns she had used for her daughter. My daughter wore them when she visited her grandmother (good girl) but she looked like someone out of Ballet Shoes

seacliff Mon 23-Jul-18 08:24:34

I volunteer with cats protection, and some lovely ladies knit us little mice stuffed with catnip. They are all individual and colourful. Very popular with all cats, and we sell them on the stalls at fetes etc. Can't get enough of them.

Billybob4491 Mon 23-Jul-18 11:41:36

My hand knitted clothes have all been well received by family and friends, I hope! currently knitting a baby blanket. When not knitting for family etc., I knit for Preemies UK, and Knit for Peace and Seamans Mission.

Witzend Wed 22-Aug-18 21:05:03

I've knitted jumpers/cardis for very little Gdcs, but I've always used easily machine washable yarn - I know my daughter will NEVER wash anything by hand, and given how busy she is, I can't blame her. The other Granny also makes machine washable knits for them, and all have been well worn.
The trouble with baby/toddler patterns, I find, is that so many are so fussy, lacey or otherwise really old fashioned-looking. I did recently find a lovely, non fussy cardi pattern for Gdd, but the recommended yarn is not a just-chuck-in-the-machine-with-everything-else type. Will have to see if another would work.

Grammaretto Wed 22-Aug-18 21:19:58

I knitted a cardie in pure soft alpaca for newborn DGD. Every time I went to stay my DD would have it ready for me to hand wash as she didn't want to spoil it.wink

So definitely use superwash wool or cotton.

I get told what to knit - colours. sizes. yarn, nothing itchy. I can't keep up with demand.

Chewbacca Wed 22-Aug-18 21:32:22

I've knitted cot blankets for each GC and various cardigans, jumpers and jackets, all of which have been well received and worn many times. My only disaster was the knitted cotton dress fit DVD when she was 2. Every time it was washed, it grew bigger and bigger! By the time she got to 5, we were all sick of seeing it and it got binned!

DoraMarr Wed 22-Aug-18 22:00:28

I don’t knit, but my grandaughters all love hand- knitted clothes for their babies. We look out for them at fetes and charity events. They are quite selective, though, and like soft fabrics. When my children were small my husband’s aunties were prolific knitters, some more expert than others. On visits back “home” we would be given lots of garments. One auntie used to knit in very rough, scratchy wool. The children always tried on her offerings and thanked her for them, but were relieved when they could take them off on the way home, and the garments were never worn again. I tried suggesting that I buy the wool, but she always refused! It was such a nice gesture!

janeainsworth Wed 22-Aug-18 22:26:12

My DGD asked me to knit her a sweater.
And then added ‘and with a unicorn on it, Grandma.’
???

mcem Wed 22-Aug-18 22:32:35

Knitting is wonderfully therapeutic!
As my daughter went through 2 difficult, carefully monitored pregnancies she produced some beautiful items, keeping herself calm and impressing the staff!
Although they were often dressed in clothes produced by my daughter or me, my DCs (8 and 9) now don't.

Maybelle Wed 22-Aug-18 23:16:19

at my DD request I am happily knitting for my first Gc, Dd has chosen patterns with me and we have agreed on a colour palette, no pastels. Loving knitting booties !
Also given her a shawl I knitted for her when she was a baby. She was delighted to have a link from her babyhood to use for her baby.
But I am not swamping her with knitting, just a few chosen things. And then planning a few items for the spring with her input on colour and style.

BlueBelle Thu 23-Aug-18 06:52:25

We get beautiful hand knitted items in the charity shop we sell them for £1.50 each and really they don’t sell odd ones go now and then but for the most part they sit there for ever

NanaandGrampy Thu 23-Aug-18 10:43:24

Janeainsworth that brought back wonderful memories for me.

My Mum knitted 'picture' sweaters for all her grandchildren and my girls loved them. They must have taken her hours and hours and I don't think I ever really appreciated the effort.

she also knitted all their school cardigans until they went to secondary school and best cardigans in white lol

I wish I could thank her properly .

DoraMarr Thu 23-Aug-18 10:55:35

My mother used to knit all our jumpers and cardigans, but by her own admission she was not the best craftswoman. We all had grey or green school jumpers, a best one for Sunday in another colour, and a stripy Saturday knit made from all the remnants of previous garments! Our next door neighbour was a very good knitter, and made her son a shawl collar cardigan with a picture of a cowboy on a rearing horse on the back. How I envied that cardigan!

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Aug-18 11:48:52

I knitted horse-mad DD2 a jumper with a horse on the front (complete with mane!) many years ago.

I don't think that the DGD are aware of the unicorn knitting patterns thank goodness. Well done janea!