Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Wool shops

(28 Posts)
Lynnebo Thu 02-Aug-18 16:59:14

I’m travelling to Ilfracombe, Glasgow, Manchester and Blackpool before Christmas. Can you point me to your favourite wool shops please? I can’t resist a souvenir!!

Nonnie Thu 02-Aug-18 17:30:20

Sadly the really good ones seem to be closing down and only the ones selling really cheap yarn are left. John Lewis still sell nice yarn. Don't know those areas so can't help.

Ilovecheese Thu 02-Aug-18 17:43:08

There is one called'Knitters' in Romiley, which is near Stockport, next to Manchester. Also one called'Sew Inn ' in Marple which is near Romiley. Not exactly Manchester, but not far away.

Lynnebo Thu 02-Aug-18 18:05:19

It’s so true that Wool shops are a dying breed - that’s why I try to seek them out on my travels. You can buy anything on t’internet but where’s the fun in that?
Thanks For your help, Nonnie and Ilovecheese!

travelsafar Thu 02-Aug-18 18:25:06

Ooh i use to love the wool shop near me when my children were small.The ladies who worked there knew everything there was to know about knitting, reading patterns and which wool to buy if you couldn't afford the branded ones.I would pop in before collecting the children from school as it was on my way and spend 15mins or so in pure heaven.Loved that you could pay for a couple of balls and they would put the rest under the counter for you and you bought it as and when you had the money, Ahh those were the days!!! smile

Glitterknitbaby Thu 02-Aug-18 22:35:01

Just Google each of those places asking for wool shops in that area and you will be surprised just what comes up. It’s a game I often play when I have nothing better to do, perhaps I need to get out more or even to get on with my own knitting!

Auntieflo Thu 02-Aug-18 22:44:07

If you are ever in Wokingham, we have a lovely shop called Stitchery Doo.

Chewbacca Thu 02-Aug-18 22:48:44

Just outside Manchester is a lovely knitting wool shop. It's called Magnolia Tree Wools and is in Poynton. Fabulous selection of yarns, & patterns and the ladies in there are very knowledgeable. They also do knitting courses so that you can learn new skills too.

annodomini Thu 02-Aug-18 23:04:41

Chewbacca - stop press! Sad to say, that shop is now no more. I went on a crochet course there last year and while we were there, so few people came into the shop that I could see that the lovely proprietor was up against it. Such a shame - I think it's difficult for a small business like that to survive in the face of competition from internet retailers which can vastly undercut their prices. What price personal contact and advice?
Does anyone know if the tiny wool shop in Didcot still exists? I used to call in there regularly on my visits to family but have recently found it difficult to get about under my own steam.

Chewbacca Thu 02-Aug-18 23:09:37

NOOOOOO! annodomini! Rats! That was my "go to" place for unusual patterns and help when I got in a muddle. sad That's my day ruined!

Agus Thu 02-Aug-18 23:27:52

There are quite a few in Glasgow Lynnebo but probably best to do a google search which also shows a map of locations. Enjoy your visit.

Scribbles Thu 02-Aug-18 23:32:58

Black Sheep ( www.blacksheepwools.com ) at Culcheth near Warrington is well worth a visit. A little distance from Manchester or Blackpool but worthy of a detour as they say in le Guide Michelin.

Coolgran65 Thu 02-Aug-18 23:34:19

I travel 10 miles to the nearest wool shop. Such joy to be served by a lady who clearly loves her work, knows all there is to know about knitting/crochet. Has samples of work on display for sale. And knitted me an item for dgs in a larger size than she had. It was quite a complicated pattern and I didn't have the time to labour over it.

Agus Fri 03-Aug-18 00:00:28

Anyone remember knitting bees? Three friends and I took turn about to host these once a week. Lots of blethering plus helping each other with patterns when we got stuck.

Auntieflo Fri 03-Aug-18 09:27:04

Are they now called 'Knit and Natter' groups?

TwiceAsNice Fri 03-Aug-18 09:32:52

If there is no wool shop near to you if I want a particular wool I order its on line at Love Knitting . It sells all wools and knitting accessories/ patterns often at a really good discount and some patterns you can download for free. Orders over £25 are free postage. I hadn't heard of it until I won a completion draw with Gransnet and my prize was £100 of free wool

TwiceAsNice Fri 03-Aug-18 09:33:32

Competition not completion stupid predictive text

PECS Fri 03-Aug-18 09:40:38

Not on your routes but Witchcraft in Cheam , Surrey is good!,

Nonnie Fri 03-Aug-18 10:41:10

*Auntieflo^ or Stitch & Bitch! I think they are popping up all over and if anyone knows a website where they are listed please let me know. Just moved and think it would be a great way to get to know people. Not sure how much knitting would get done unless making a very simple garment though.

Anyone done any yarn bombing? I have but not as much as I would have liked.

glammanana Fri 03-Aug-18 11:18:51

Sadly our wool shop closed down a few years ago and it is hard to find an outlet since without going to Liverpool or Chester.
What I have found is a few Cahrity shops sell new wool and are very popular,the shops are AgeUK & Sue Ryder the girls are very helpful and will save the wool for you or you can return it if you buy too much.

Glitterknitbaby Fri 03-Aug-18 14:05:01

I go to a great Knit and Natter twice monthly at our local library. But as you say Nonnie, you need a very easy project to work on as so much nattering goes on, but all great fun and support as all the members help each otherI tend to take my premmie baby clothes to work on. I don’t know of any web sites where they are all listed but sounds like a very good idea.

mumofmadboys Fri 03-Aug-18 14:14:35

I have heard of Knit and Natter sessions called Stitch and Bitch!!

Ilovecheese Fri 03-Aug-18 14:15:49

Just remembered there is another one in Northwich, called Crafty Stiches. Not that close to Manchester but not that far either.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 03-Aug-18 14:54:56

Queen of Purls in Glasgow was good last time I was there. They've moved a bit into Argyle Street and I haven't seen their new shop. You'll find them on Google.

You probably won't be going as far as Falkirk, but McA direct does mail order very well (shops in Falkirk and Edinburgh). I have no connection with either organisation, just to be clear!

MeltingMacaron Fri 03-Aug-18 15:16:13

Last time I visited, almost four years ago, there was a lovely new shop called Knit Moor in Combe Martin near Ilfracombe which I believe is still trading.