Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Where can I buy unusual glass beads?

(11 Posts)
beadqueen Sun 19-Aug-18 16:57:32

Hi,
Lovely to be here and enjoying reading all the interesting posts. I was was hoping for advice.
About a year ago I started making chunky bead necklaces. I find it relaxing and my friends and I now have a lovely necklaces to wear. I'm struggling to find interesting glass or stone beads and growing a bit bored with the limited choice at Hobbycraft... Any idea's? I live in Bucks and have only limited mobility.
Here's an article I found with the kinds of beads I'm looking for, only problem is they don't sell loose beads: www.africanodyssey.co.uk/blog/gemstones-for-bead-necklaces
The image attached is one of my necklaces with my grand daughter modelling itsmile.
Thanks!
Stephanie

Grannyknot Sun 19-Aug-18 17:05:49

Hi beadqueen search for "sea glass drilled" on EBay, you might see something you like.

Good luck with your lovely hobby.

Fennel Sun 19-Aug-18 17:06:20

Try ebay.

FlexibleFriend Sun 19-Aug-18 17:29:56

Ebay and Amazon

Marydoll Sun 19-Aug-18 17:34:13

I buy lots from Ebay, good luck!

Granny23 Sun 19-Aug-18 17:45:24

One of my DGDs got a jewelry making kit for Chrismas and rapidly ran out of the beads supplied. First she raided my bead necklaces and then found an unending supply of gorgeous beads from old necklaces in Thrift Shops for minimal cost.

I know you said that your mobility is limited but perhaps your model grandaughter could do a thrift shop trawl on your behalf?

jusnoneed Sun 19-Aug-18 21:38:48

I have a friend who makes glass beads and she sells on Etsy, there are lots of sellers on there.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 25-Aug-18 12:45:45

You aren't planning a trip to Prague any time soon, are you? The Czechs make the most marvellous glass beads. Perhaps you can find a site on the internet that sells glass beads from there.

Nanabilly Sat 25-Aug-18 15:52:47

There are plenty of independent bead shops around just Google beads or jewellery findings and you should get them pop up.

petra Wed 29-Aug-18 19:19:30

Have a look at Africanfabric.co.uk.
Wonderful recycled glass beads from Ghana.

beadqueen Mon 10-Sep-18 00:59:57

Thanks to everyone for your kind replies!