Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Anyone else making things for Christmas fairs?

(169 Posts)
Witzend Sat 22-Sep-18 19:35:27

And if so, what? I've promised to make some little things for Gdd's preschool Christmas fair. Since I'm also making the time consuming crib set, it'll probably just be some mini snowmen/Father Christmas tree ornaments out of the Jean Greenhowe book.
However I'm open to suggestions for anything else relatively quick and easy to make - which is likely to sell well. (Apart from mince pies!)

Feelingmyage55 Mon 01-Oct-18 17:32:17

Children will have pocket money to spend. What about Pom Pom novelty animal/characters - lots free ideas and use up (or scrounge) scraps. Pom-poms maker is very Cepheus and only costs pennies online and you can go at almost industrial speed. Maybe do the making with a friend. Have a fun afternoon or evening.

Feelingmyage55 Mon 01-Oct-18 17:32:51

Cepheus aaaah speedy!

lilylilyfirst Tue 02-Oct-18 06:19:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Grannyknot Tue 02-Oct-18 06:42:40

Reported...

Bathsheba Tue 02-Oct-18 07:56:09

I refuse to talk about Christmas until at least the beginning of November.
jenni123 so why contribute to this thread? confused

Grannyknot Tue 02-Oct-18 09:41:50

What about making home made dog treats in a bone shape? Grandchildren could help ...

Basic dog biscuits

Ingredients

2 ½ cups whole wheat flour (substitute regular flour or oats if your dog is sensitive to wheat)
1 tsp. salt (or less)
1 egg
1 tsp. Beef or chicken Bouillon granules (can substitute beef or chicken broth/stock)
½ cup hot water

Optional: Add eggs, oats, wheat germ, shredded cheese.

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Dissolve bouillon in hot water
Add remaining ingredients
Knead dough until it forms a ball (approximately 3 minutes)
Roll dough until ½ inch thick
Cut into slices or bone shapes
Place dough pieces on lightly greased cookie sheet
Cook for 30 minutes

Witzend Tue 02-Oct-18 10:45:34

I'm planning to make at least half a dozen of the mini snowmen/Father Christmases at the end of the Jean Greenhowe book, as Chr. tree decorations, for Gdd's pre-school fair fundraiser - they do want offerings.
Was just thinking it'd be nice to find a cheap mini artificial Chr. tree to hang them on, and give them like that. What does anyone with experience of school fairs think? It's ages since I helped at one.

Billybob4491 Tue 02-Oct-18 11:48:40

Witzend - have a look in the Charity shops for a cheap mini Christmas tree, that's where I found mine, people tend to have a clearout round about now, to make room for more (clutter), buying new Christmas stuff etc.

Happysexagenarian Tue 02-Oct-18 12:38:55

Witzend Last year I displayed the tree decorations I made on a large white Twig Tree, bought from Amazon. It looked great on the stall. You could try using some branches from your garden, sprayed white and fixed into oasis foam in a plant pot. Four pots with three decorations each could look very nice and be affordable to make and buy. Just a suggestion smile

Witzend Tue 02-Oct-18 14:47:58

Many thanks for suggestions!
As Sod's Law would have it, I actually gave a mini artificial tree to a charity shop a couple of years ago - it was one I'd bought for my mother when she had dementia and really hadn't a clue it was Christmas any more, but I felt the need to have some sort of tree at her house on the day!

Witzend Tue 02-Oct-18 14:49:39

BTW, happysexagenarian, your toy soldier is brilliant!

lemongrove Tue 02-Oct-18 15:16:56

A group I help with are making dried catmint ( nepeta) small toys for cats to play with for a craft fair, they always sell very well.

lemongrove Tue 02-Oct-18 15:17:55

As do material frogs in bright patterns filled with rice, dried beans or even a fluffy filling.

Mabel2 Wed 03-Oct-18 19:26:18

I got some plain canvas bags, I wrote the first lines of the night before Christmas poem ending with a felt mouse's head instead of the word mouse. I cut out the felt and glued it on giving the mouse some googly eyes. On the reverse I put the child's name.

bonji Wed 03-Oct-18 19:43:54

At the church I go to we are busy knitting Christmas angels. I think it was started by a church a couple of years ago and sometimes the angels are left around the town for people to find. We are not dong this but making the angels to give away at a Christmas coffee morning. However they are quite quick to make and could easily be made for a Christmas sale. Just google ‘knitted angels’ for the pattern.

aekapong123 Thu 04-Oct-18 05:32:21

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Billybob4491 Thu 04-Oct-18 06:41:36

I like that idea Mabel, might have a go myself.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 04-Oct-18 10:38:43

BAFFLED! Sorry for shouting but how on earth an a thread about makes for Christmas have two reportable comments? Anyway lots of great ideas. I am going to use some for our fundraiser, so thank you for lots of lovely ideas.

paddyann Thu 04-Oct-18 11:17:11

My daughter is making fairy doors ,very fashionable here .They come with instructions about the fairies who will use them and warnings about extra housework because of fairy dust.They are very cute ,some have tiny butterflies or laybirds and some have welcome signs .She buys the blank doors and paints them and it keeps her occupied on her long days in bed

Mabel2 Thu 04-Oct-18 11:54:36

Glad to be of help billybob, I've just finished one for my new nephew. They make a great alternative to stockings and sacks. I also use slices of wood to put family pictures on as tree decorations. A bit of glue and glitter and jobs a good 'un

Witzend Thu 04-Oct-18 12:15:57

I can't understand the reportable comments, either. Equally I don't understand why people who object to an early mention of the C word even look at this thread at all.

My Gdd's school fair is on 24th November, and since we have a busy time coming up - as usual! - like others doing the same I obviously needed to start early - which is why I started this thread. And I'm very grateful for all lovely GNers' help and advice.

Might add that yesterday I downloaded a pattern for a particularly pretty knitted mini angel - the skirt is a lacy pattern which is not my forte! - so it might be £1.50 odd down the drain, but we shall see. As long as dh doesn't interrupt while I'm counting all those psso, K2 togs, yrn, etc. I might conceivably manage it.

Billybob4491 Thu 04-Oct-18 13:20:57

Witzend, Jean Greenhowe has some simple angel patterns, last year I knitted 20! by the time I had finished them I was a bit fazed by it all, but they did look attractive on the Church stall.

Jalima1108 Thu 04-Oct-18 13:59:54

Well, sitting her and posting on GN won't get Mary a new cloak, I should go and get on. With luck I could finish Mary, Joseph and Jesus by Christmas!
They may not have any visitors though.

Jalima1108 Thu 04-Oct-18 14:00:40

If the angel is to go on the tree Witzend, no-one will notice a blip in the pattern smile

Witzend Thu 04-Oct-18 14:14:43

Which JG book are those in, BillyBob? I have the Christmas Special and the Christmas Treasures - which I can't find at the moment. There is a Chr. Fairy in the 'Special' book, but it looks rather more time consuming than the snowmen.

However like Jalima I really ought to get on! Still, I've done most of my nativity set now - here they all are, still residing on top of the piano - I shall have to start thinking about a cardboard box stable soon - any suggestions welcome!