Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What sewing machine do you recommend?

(72 Posts)
Gr07 Thu 27-Sep-18 09:57:59

Hello!
When I was young I loved to create clothes on my own..I had a good sewing machine and lots of textiles! A few days ago I decided that I will back to my hobby. I wanted to ask you what sewing machine would you recommend? I know that times change so maybe people who know more about sewing will help me.

LittleSewing Thu 27-Jun-19 20:26:03

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Auntieflo Fri 28-Jun-19 09:13:03

confused!

Vonners Fri 28-Jun-19 11:12:21

I had a Novum for about 30 years until I lost it in a house fire. Replaced it with a Singer.
The thing I didnt think about at the time was that my Novum was metal, heavy, sturdy. The Singer is plastic bodied and just does not feel as stable.
Just after buying the Singer I saw a Novum for sale in a charity shop but couldn't justify owning 2 machines. Now wish I had bought it and sold the Singer.
You should take into consideration the weight though if you have to put it away and lift it out again regularly.

Rosiebee Fri 19-Jul-19 14:14:37

Janome DXL 603
I use it mainly for patchwork and quilting. When I bought it, there was an offer of a free quilting set to go with it, which made it really good value. There are lots of machines with higher specifications, but this suits me. Try before you buy. I bought mine from Sewing Machines Direct near Wrexham, lots of choice.

Angelique Thu 25-Jul-19 11:26:30

I too have returned to sewing several years ago.
There are a few main brands that you are going to see when you go browsing for a new machine: Singer, Brother, Janome, Bernina, Babylock, and Juki. But keep in mind that many brands no longer use parts made from metal, instead relying upon plastic, causing the machines to not last quite as long. So a vintage one, maybe?

Though I have several "modern" machines which I adore: JUKI TL-2000Qi for home sewing (though as I know that 2010Q have better speed control, so if you have troubles with speed control I'd recommend you to have a look at 2010Q), Babylock Evolution - this one is a serger, though it's worth mentioning that it's extremely flexible, and the small foot is great: I've made some quilts and doll clothes with it.

And here are some links you might find useful for choosing one:

nymag.com/strategist/article/best-sewing-machines.html - Brother they recommend as the best rated is pretty good, my daughter use it.
sewingland.org/best-sewing-machine-for-making-clothes/ - my Juki's specs are mentioned here.
www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/house-garden/household-appliances/best-sewing-machines-for-beginners-quilting-kids-curtains-leather-9197752.html - Singer 4411 is not that great, but have a look at Brother's they recommend - they're pretty basic, but working just fine.

- Angela

Dillyduck Sat 24-Aug-19 11:01:53

Mine is an Elna SU, bought in Australia in 1973. It was a "top of the range" machine that cost me 4 weeks wages. Swiss built, strong and reliable. Only been to the repairers twice in 45 years. I oil and clean it regularly. When I was back in the UK, mum saw it and was jealous, so I bought one for her out of the paper for £25 in full working order. Then I saw another for £25, and then bought a fourth, complete with lovely sewing cabinet for £65 from ebay. I often have several project on the go, so may have three machines threaded up and ready to go. One black, one white, one coloured. I've been to various sewing classes when people had bought fancy new machines and just couldn't manage them. I've been to other classes which provided machines. They were almost brand new and worked well, but I just didn't like the plasticky noise they made, and it was so much more difficult to see the needle to thread it easily. That's a real consideration as you get older! Also consider where it is going to live. A heavy machine is fine if it's going to live on a desk permanently, not so good if you need to move it off the dining table every time you have a meal. There are abandoned sewing machines in cupboards across the country, so you could even put a wanted ad in your local paper and see what turns up, or ask friends and family if they have one they don't use. I now have mum's SU and until recently my grandmother's hand Singer. That's now gone to Africa to help someone else. My SU machines have all sorts of stitches available, but in all honesty I just use straight, buttonhole, or three step zig zag (known as the wiggly wiggly stitch in my family!). There are no prizes for having the most expensive machine a salesman can persuade you to buy

GagaJo Sat 24-Aug-19 11:14:21

Pfaff sewing machines are widely reputed to be the best. NOT that I've ever been able to afford one.

I have always had Singers. I've had my current machine for over 20 years and when I moved abroad, I bought a second hand Singer, which also worked perfectly. They are very easily fixed if needed.

I bought my mother one of John Lewis' lovely coloured machines a couple of years ago and it is still working well.

www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-jl110-sewing-machine-ruby-red/p4157121

GagaJo Sat 24-Aug-19 11:16:16

Oh yes, to echo Dillyduck, straight and zigzag are really the only stitches needed. Maybe buttonhole too, but to be honest, machine sewn buttonholes aren't great.

John021 Wed 04-Sep-19 13:50:33

You should try Bernina.

Hm999 Wed 04-Sep-19 16:10:11

Love my Brother, but have been happy with Janomes in the past. Decide what you want to do now, AND what you might want to do in the future. Once I retired and started quilting the new basic machine I'd just bought was not up to the job. So if, like me, you're returning to sewing because you have more time, you might be advised to go on a course or two before making a decision

Craicon Wed 04-Sep-19 16:17:49

The OP originally posted here in September 2018 asking for advice and as far as I can tell doesn’t appear to have returned to this thread or Gransnet, so it’s probably a bit pointless to continue the discussion?

WilliamBowie Sat 12-Sep-20 17:20:39

I have Brother SE600 Sewing and Embroidery Machine. This machine is best for beginners and amazon's best-seller machine with lot of amazing specifications.

tinalemoore Tue 19-Jan-21 20:51:56

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

tinalemoore Tue 19-Jan-21 20:56:14

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

suegros Fri 19-Feb-21 21:01:25

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Bathsheba Fri 19-Feb-21 21:47:43

I wish I even understood the post by suegros. "Someone is a rational mistress" "....motives for buying each mistress" "...frequent hikes in the atelier"

Sorry, but I'm totally lost confused

annodomini Fri 19-Feb-21 21:56:04

You are not alone, Bathsheba.

Bathsheba Fri 19-Feb-21 21:58:50

Thanks anno. I was going to report the post, but the link looks quite innocuous. However, I'm not about to click on it!

Catlover21 Sat 06-Mar-21 11:15:41

Go to a sewing machine shop armed with a wide variety of materials, denim for thick seams, stretch, lace, something slippery etc and see which machine in your price range does the best. I did that when I bought my machine years ago, I had a wonderful hour or so with the lady manning the shop, she also thoroughly enjoyed the time, learnt a lot and was so impressed with the machine I bought that she later told me she bought one for herself! Happy memories.

henryleo025 Tue 29-Jun-21 12:41:58

Hithere Tue 29-Jun-21 13:32:49

I have a brother cs6000i and I love it.

Lin52 Tue 29-Jun-21 13:37:17

I loved my Pfaff, bought whilst living in Germany. I lost the inclination for sewing, gave it to my then DIL, who was an avid sewer, she promptly sold it. Wished I’d never parted with it. You live and learn.

muffinthemoo Tue 29-Jun-21 13:37:57

Janome J3 series.

Chardy Tue 29-Jun-21 14:37:56

Decide if you need or will use all the bells and whistles. They push the price up.
Betninas are wonderful, but very expensive. I've been very satisfied in the past with my Brother and with my Janome

sf101 Tue 29-Jun-21 15:12:36

I've got a Brother and a Pfaff, they are both excellent, but the Brother has a better auto threader and auto stitch cutter.