Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What sewing machine do you recommend?

(72 Posts)
Gr07 Thu 27-Sep-18 09:57:59

Hello!
When I was young I loved to create clothes on my own..I had a good sewing machine and lots of textiles! A few days ago I decided that I will back to my hobby. I wanted to ask you what sewing machine would you recommend? I know that times change so maybe people who know more about sewing will help me.

usamariaz2 Thu 28-Jul-22 15:52:22

best sewing machines website
sewingmachinesprice.com/

usamariaz2 Thu 28-Jul-22 14:20:14

Best sewing machine, I love you

desireebennette Mon 20-Jun-22 20:33:44

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Happysexagenarian Thu 06-Jan-22 16:24:30

Oops, just realised I had already commented on this post a couple of months ago. Sorry!!

Happysexagenarian Thu 06-Jan-22 16:19:17

I have both Brother and Janome machines. They're both great machines. The quality of stitching is perhaps better on the Brother probably only because it's a newer machine.

If you have a machine shop in your area pop in and have a play with different brands. They'll be only to happy to advise and help.

Esmay Sat 01-Jan-22 20:39:08

I agree .
Janome and Brother are exceptional machines .
One of my daughters makes costumes and hammers the hell out of both machines .
She has two of them as she prefers to do different sewing tasks on them .
But it's her preference .

I also really love my ancient Bernina .

Do try them out in the shop .

Have fun !

karmalady Thu 16-Dec-21 07:30:18

I recently bought myself an old and beautifully reconditioned bernina record 930, I love these old solid mechanical machines, very heavy and will outlast me. I have no room in my `sewing room` ex bedroom, so I treated myself to a mobile horn sewing machine cabinet for this very heavy machine and the machine lifts at a gentle push. I put a nice cloth on top and it lives in my living room. Here I sew at a much slower steady pace, while watching a film. Sewing bliss

I also have a bernina from the 300 series, about 13 years old. It is a beautiful sewing machine, never puts a foot wrong. I would suggest that you try and get a second hand reconditioned bernina. I have had the usual mechines in the past, elna, brother, new home, janome, singer but tbh bernina is the pinnacle of my dreams. I sew a lot, have been sewing for 64 years

I won`t mention the overlockers here, they work in tandem with the sewing machine

I clean every machine, every time I finish a full garment such as a dress. I change needles regularly and always use top notch thread. I oil regularly, except for my sergers. Never use compressed air, use the special small tools that will fit on a vac cleaner hose

VictoryaW17 Tue 14-Dec-21 05:03:08

kamranblogger Wed 08-Dec-21 17:39:59

zacharyswift937 Fri 19-Nov-21 15:27:03

Happysexagenarian Fri 05-Nov-21 18:38:10

Just to add if anyone is needing a modern machine for stitching leather/canvas/sheepskin or for making bags, have a look at Juki machines. They're great but I can't justify buying yet another machine now sad

Happysexagenarian Fri 05-Nov-21 18:32:34

Lots of helpful advice here for choosing a machine.

I too recommend Janome and Brother machines.

I have a 30 year old Janome, still working perfectly and a Janome overlocker.

Last year I bought a Brother quilting and embroidery machine - fabulous! Very intuitive and easy to use and the quality of stitching is superb.

By contrast I also have a 110 year old Singer hand crank machine. It still works perfectly, but I only use it for heavy duty sewing these days eg. leather. It's straight stitch only, but I've never found anything it couldn't cope with!

Susie42 Thu 28-Oct-21 18:54:53

I’ve sewn lightweight leather on my Bernina Artista with no problem but I do understand that one would need an industrial machine for anything heavy.
I would steer clear of present day Singers as they can be very variable although I have heard good reports of the Heavy Duty. If you are buying a machine please use your local dealer or they and their knowledge will disappear and there will be nowhere to have machines serviced.

jackgray Thu 28-Oct-21 18:39:50

jackgray Thu 28-Oct-21 18:33:10

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

jackgray Thu 28-Oct-21 18:30:21

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

pen50 Tue 19-Oct-21 23:02:01

I have a fairly new Husqvarna Opal 690Q. I bought an ex-demo machine so got a bit of a discount.

I LOVE it. Perfect for me. Much better than an equivalently priced Bernina.

perkinchrollete Sat 24-Jul-21 05:36:44

perkinchrollete Sat 24-Jul-21 05:33:14

MerylStreep Thu 01-Jul-21 14:52:39

I doubt if the op is still reading. September 2018.

GR206 Thu 01-Jul-21 14:42:15

Did you get a new sewing machine?

sf101 Tue 29-Jun-21 15:12:36

I've got a Brother and a Pfaff, they are both excellent, but the Brother has a better auto threader and auto stitch cutter.

Chardy Tue 29-Jun-21 14:37:56

Decide if you need or will use all the bells and whistles. They push the price up.
Betninas are wonderful, but very expensive. I've been very satisfied in the past with my Brother and with my Janome

muffinthemoo Tue 29-Jun-21 13:37:57

Janome J3 series.

Lin52 Tue 29-Jun-21 13:37:17

I loved my Pfaff, bought whilst living in Germany. I lost the inclination for sewing, gave it to my then DIL, who was an avid sewer, she promptly sold it. Wished I’d never parted with it. You live and learn.