Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Buttons and balloons

(5 Posts)
Caledonai14 Wed 28-Nov-18 12:59:27

Wow thanks Oakleaf. I'm going to give at least one of these a go over the Christmas holidays. grin

Oakleaf Wed 28-Nov-18 12:48:05

Lots of instruction videos online. The key is glue, glue and more glue - which has to be the kind which dries clear. It's messy and it can be tricky peeling the popped balloon away from the initial thick layer of glue you apply and let dry to make the base of the bowl. I believe there is a kind of glue you can buy which minimises this problem but I don't know the brand name.

Most people go for a random look - all colours and sizes of buttons but some lovely effects can be created with a more planned colour scheme using basic fisheye buttons.

Lots of other ideas online for button art. I like these button trees:

craft.ideas2live4.com/2015/03/19/button-tree-wall-art/

And this button snowflake: www.crafts-for-all-seasons.com/button-snowflake.html

Lots more ideas here:

feltmagnet.com/crafts/crafts-using-buttons

Caledonai14 Wed 28-Nov-18 12:30:09

Thanks Nina, I had to come out of Pinterest because they absolutely bombarded me with multiple ads every time I looked for something simple. The instructions I have found are illustrated and easy to follow. I just wondered if anyone here had actually tried to make one of these and if there are any hints or tips. Thanks for trying to help.

ninathenana Wed 28-Nov-18 12:06:12

Have you looked at You-tube or Pintrest. You may find demos there

Caledonai14 Wed 28-Nov-18 11:55:10

I've got to make something out of buttons for a contest and I've seen something online which involves glueing an inflated balloon, sticking buttons on and then taking the balloon mould out, leaving a bowl.

Has anybody else actually tried to make this and have you any hints about construction method, type of glue, or a way to stabilise the rounded bottom?