Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What age were you

(128 Posts)
Maywalk Wed 05-Dec-18 16:47:32

when you learnt to knit???

I had to give up knitting last year after it being a soothing pastime for me for over 79 years. I learnt to knit on four needles when I was about 9 years old while sitting in the Anderson shelter in 1940 during the London Blitz. . Unfortunately illness has robbed me of being able to grip the needles now but looking back and wondering how I managed to knit on size 14 or 2mm as they are now I realise how many hours were spent knitting a jumper in 2ply yarn especially with having to cast on nearly 200 stitches for each side.

Witzend Wed 09-Jan-19 16:30:40

Thanks for the twiddlemuff link, Greengran. I have a lot of DK in different colours to use up so will try one once I've finished my Captain Hook.
My mother had dementia for many years but I'd never heard of these while she was still alive. I dare say her very good dementia care home - she was there from age 89 to 97 - would welcome twiddle muffs. Or else the local hospital.

SueSocks Wed 09-Jan-19 16:49:51

In the final years at primary school, we had a lovely teacher called Miss Benson who taught the girls to knit and sew, the boys went off and did something else. We knitted a dish cloth with very big needles then a purse with a long over the shoulder handle.
I also think that we knitted squares in the Brownies.