Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Tapestry

(87 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 27-Jan-19 15:30:39

I have to finally give up cross stitching, arthritis in hands and low vision. I am sooo bored. Thought of tapestry , wool much thicker and canvas have much larger holes, but -
Have looked on line , saw cushions and some kits which seem to be cotton threads .
Would tapestry be kinder to hands and can someone recommend a site selling tapestry kits
Thank you

wildswan16 Mon 28-Jan-19 10:15:11

I think you would enjoy tapestry anniebach. You could start off with a "children's kit" to see if it suits you. I found some of the more expensive cushion kits to be very hard to read or follow, and the canvas very hard so you definitely have to have a frame.

Hope you find something you enjoy. I only have one painful joint on one finger but it really interferes with my knitting.

Anniebach Mon 28-Jan-19 10:21:06

I am sure I will wildswan, I am left handed and can only use my thumb and forefinger, other three fingers are in the palm of my hand but I can still manage a needle
Thank you x

Anniebach Thu 31-Jan-19 21:51:23

Sorry another question . I can’t use a floor stand , no room,
Have to sit on sofa, suggestions please

M0nica Thu 31-Jan-19 21:52:08

A table stand that you can rest on your knee.

Anniebach Thu 31-Jan-19 21:57:25

Thank you MOnica , didn’t want to hold one in my hand , will look for a table stand,

Anniebach Fri 01-Feb-19 09:16:19

Feeling realy stupid now, have looked for stands, looked on uTube at tapestry being worked, does one buy several stands to fit the size of the canvas one is working on ? It was so simple with a hoop !

M0nica Fri 01-Feb-19 10:01:08

Most stands are adjustable, you can twist knobs at the top of the frame to make the working area larger. If you are making something that is too long for the frame, you roll the excess fabric onto the roller at the bottom and relase that and roll up the top as necessary

The following very amateur YouTube clip shows how
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVuOf_iAu5U.

This better one shows you the basics of putting a canvas on a frame www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5NMpLFXIYs

Anniebach Fri 01-Feb-19 10:08:29

MOnica, I am most grateful, not able to get to a craft shop, don’t know anyone who works tapestry and have to consider costs.
I got rather carried away looking at sites selling tapestry kits,
A case of ‘ I want to do that and that and that ‘ ,

Anniebach Fri 01-Feb-19 10:14:44

Got it, explains all, thank you so much

Jessity Fri 01-Feb-19 10:36:57

Anniebach you might like a form of tapestry called 4-way bargello. If you search "4-way bargello" it shows not just websites but also images so that you can see what it looks like.

I've done lots and have never used a frame. Mine are all cushion covers so not too big.

The stitch is just a long one over, say, 4 holes. The next stitch is two holes lower, the next stitch another two holes lower. This creates a wave pattern.

As you can perhaps see from the images online, the design you're creating is in four parts, one for each corner, meeting in the centre. It really is easy to do, it's not complicated and the holes and wool are larger than, say, cross stitch embroidery.

Anniebach Fri 01-Feb-19 10:47:29

Jessity, never heard of it, whole new world opening up for me , and I thought I would spend day after day playing Killer Suduko, thank you

jusnoneed Fri 01-Feb-19 13:10:41

You can get seat ones too Annie, you place on your chair and sit on the base. There are also lap ones shown on this site.

mariescrossstitch.co.uk/accessories/lap-and-seat-stands/

Anniebach Fri 01-Feb-19 13:37:40

Thank you jusnoneed , a choice there

SueDonim Fri 01-Feb-19 14:17:05

Seeing the mention of Killer Sudoku, Annie, have you tried Kakuro? It's a different type of number puzzle but just as engrossing.

Anniebach Fri 01-Feb-19 14:26:48

No I haven’t SueDonim, will look at it , thank you

M0nica Fri 01-Feb-19 16:53:14

Annie I started with bargello and am (very, very slowly) making a bargello chair cover. It is quick and easy, although I always do it on a frame.

M0nica Fri 01-Feb-19 16:56:33

There are a huge range of bargello patterns. Just google 'bargello patterns'

What I enjoy is choosing the pattern to follow and then choosing my range of colours, not necessarily following the colours used in the example.

Anniebach Fri 01-Feb-19 17:38:37

MOnica, so many amazing patterns, thank you

Anniebach Sat 02-Feb-19 11:53:47

Sorry me again. Looking on Amazon for lap stands, there was a question about canvas wider than a lap stand, the reply was - I fold each side of my canvas so it fits .

Can this be done successfully?

M0nica Sat 02-Feb-19 17:05:17

I prefer to attach one side as normal and then tack the second side part of the way across the canvas, leaving the excess canvas loose, but then fold and clip it with clothes pegs, then when you have done the work on the frame, undo the tapestry and attach the remaining unstitched canvas to the frame as normal and tack the stitched canvas to the side part way across and fold and peg as before.

If the tapestry fits top to bottom, but is too wide, for example a long narrow cushion like a bolster, then turn the tapestry through 90 degrees so that the pattern is sideways on the frame. If you are copying a pattern rather than working on a canvas with the design painted on, then make sure you use the pattern at 90 degrees as well. Ifit is in a book, photocopy and put in an acetate cover.

Anniebach Sat 02-Feb-19 17:15:59

Thank you so much MOnica, my younger daughter has bought me a lap frame from Amizon, I read the questions and answers but was puzzled about folding each side, surely one would have double canvas each side.

So the stand arrives Monday and I am looking forward to getting back to having a hobby again, I have been lost without stitching.

I so grateful for all the help and advice x

M0nica Sun 03-Feb-19 15:17:37

8Annie* I do hope you enjoy it. I do. I took it up because, being cack-handed it was something I could do and have a pleasing result. My knitting is visibly uneven and my embroidery equally so.

Ironing over a damp cloth when a piece was finished to get it into shape for (usually) a cushion always made it look good

Anniebach Sun 03-Feb-19 15:50:36

I knitted for many years, took orders, knitted for a wool shop then designed and sold knitwear at craft fairs, I loved doing that, used yarn from Italy. When I semi retired I took up cross stitching , entered my work in local shows, even won a couple of times, I loved stitching ‘All our Yesterdays,

Then wretched arthritis and low vision made stitching too difficult. I am so looking forward to my next hobby , my younger daughter has already chosen cushions she wants

Thank you so much

Fennel Sun 03-Feb-19 16:29:41

I used to enjoy tapestry with wool. There's an old fashioned craft stall in the indoor market in Newcastle which has all the things you need. But you can't get there Annie.
Why don't you order the canvas and wools online and draw your own picture?
I'm no artist but made a basic picture of a stone cottage in a valley with a few trees and flowers, and a few sheep in the foreground. Had it framed and it's hanging in our dining room.
I might take up tapestry again.

Fennel Sun 03-Feb-19 16:36:31

ps sheep are easy - lots of french knots in white wool smile.