Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Tapestry

(87 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 27-Jan-19 15:30:39

I have to finally give up cross stitching, arthritis in hands and low vision. I am sooo bored. Thought of tapestry , wool much thicker and canvas have much larger holes, but -
Have looked on line , saw cushions and some kits which seem to be cotton threads .
Would tapestry be kinder to hands and can someone recommend a site selling tapestry kits
Thank you

MamaCaz Sun 14-Apr-19 13:47:24

Petra

Your cushion looks beautiful!

cascats Sun 14-Apr-19 18:01:57

Hi Anniebach, just an idea but if you really like the Roses tapestry kit but not the ' no stitch' background. What about filling the background in with a neutral colour, maybe a pale cream? Have done this successfully once with cat tapestry.
Good luck with your new hobby.

Anniebach Sun 14-Apr-19 18:48:24

cascats I didn’t think of doing that , my younger daughter so wants roses , as it’s a kit I assume any tapestry wool would be suitable?

cascats Mon 15-Apr-19 09:11:48

Hi, Guessing the kit is standard tapestry wool, so yes any should do, If you are buying the kit online, could you email them and explain you are planning to fill in the background and asking them to recommend a suitable wool and possible colour choices?
Lol, this talk of tapestry is reminding me I still have one packed away to finish! (mind you have 3 partially finished knitting projects on my side table to do first! )

Anniebach Mon 15-Apr-19 09:15:55

cascats. it’s a Twilley kit , will check if I can buy the same wool.

shysal Mon 15-Apr-19 12:19:49

If you are looking for a small tapestry project you might be interested in a doorstop kit to cover a house brick. They appear on various websites. I made an oak-leaf one years ago which was much admired.
mariescrossstitch.co.uk/tapestry-longstitch/tapestry-cushions-and-kits/doorstop/

MamaCaz Mon 13-May-19 14:03:52

Petra
Regarding your post from 13 April, showing your beautiful bargello work - I don't suppose that is from a free pattern available on the Internet, is it?
If not, I will have another search to see if I can find something similar, as I've been longing to make a cushion similar to that ever since I saw your photo.
I've finally finished my latest project, this morning (two cathedral Windows cushions for my mum), so I am already itching to start something new ?

petra Mon 13-May-19 19:27:38

MamaCaz
That one is from a book called ' Florentine Embroidery' by Barbara Muller. Available on Amazon £3.08p.
Very simple to understand instructions.

MamaCaz Mon 13-May-19 21:54:01

Thanks, * Petra*

Actually, I've just had another look at your photo and think I can work the pattern out ?

MamaCaz Tue 10-Sep-19 17:10:51

Petra

Recognize the pattern?

The judge obviously liked it too, as it's just got a first in the village show. smile

justme2 Fri 13-Sep-19 01:43:06

Question, please. Is tapestry like what is called needlepoint or petitpoint in the States? It uses a half stitch rather than a cross. If so, I do a lot but use blank canvas and stitch from a pattern.