Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Two strand knitting question

(37 Posts)
Baggs Sun 03-Feb-19 12:52:54

I'm about to knit a beanie that uses two strands of yarn together. Is it best to wind the two together before starting?

Nonnie Mon 04-Feb-19 13:31:53

Extreme knitting is back Fountain for huge scarves which have no ends, I think they call them infinity scarves. I knitted two for dil and hated it, can't get a proper flow on huge needles, would rather knit in 2 ply!

4allweknow Mon 04-Feb-19 18:27:01

I wouldn't. Don't think there is any need. Would be concerned you end up with one yarn longer than the other as some vary slightly in thickness and also stretch differently.

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Feb-19 19:41:58

I just wonder if it would be a bit hard on old fingers and rather painful thumbs?

JoyBloggs Mon 04-Feb-19 21:05:05

I made a hat using two balls of wool and found they kept getting twisted round each other and I had to keep stopping to untangle them, not happy! I've just done another one and this time I stretched a wide rubber band over the two balls of wool, so that the band just sat loosely round the two strands of wool. (I hope this makes sense, it's hard to describe.) It worked very well - they didn't get twisted... and I didn't get cross!

Bathsheba Mon 04-Feb-19 23:24:49

You used to be able to buy little plastic containers, holding one ball of yarn which fed through a hole in the top. Two of them would be perfect for keeping the balls under control and not twisting round each other. I wonder if they’re still available?

Bathsheba Mon 04-Feb-19 23:31:32

Just found this on Amazon , which would work well.
Lalang Knitting Yarn Storage Bag Wool Holder Storage Basket (Small) www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076HKQG59/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iRmwCb1DGKRHD?tag=gransnetforum-21

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Feb-19 23:43:06

Bathsheba I have looked for those, they looked like little beehives. In fact, I had one years ago.
They are 'vintage', on ebay I think and very expensive!

Bathsheba Tue 05-Feb-19 12:23:08

Yes, beehives! What a shame they’re not available any more.

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Feb-19 12:34:03

There are some on Ebay - at a price!

annab275 Thu 07-Feb-19 02:59:42

I have just finished a jumper knitted using a chunky pattern using 2 dk together, straight off the ball. It has worked out fine

OmaforMaya Sun 24-Feb-19 10:25:58

Is there a link for all the single initials used on these forums. Sometimes I struggle to work them out. ?? e.g. ITS AIM ???