Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

UFOs (unfinished objects)

(33 Posts)
Witzend Mon 01-Apr-19 10:05:08

Another poster has reminded me of mine.

My worst was a long black cardigan I was making for a sister in the US, since I knew she wanted something of the sort.

Having knitted all the major bits, I then went nearly mad/blind, trying to 'pick up and knit' the right number of umpteen stitches all round the front and neck edges, for the ribbed edging.
After trying for ages - it was so hard to see black anyway, even with a good light - I finally gave up.

Never again will I embark on anything with more than a very small pick up and knit section.
Luckily the yarn was not too expensive! Had to be tumble-dryable for sister (in the US) who tumble dries absolutely everything.
What's your worst/most guilty UFO?

phoenix Mon 08-Apr-19 17:35:37

Yes, UFO's are also "unidentified frozen objects" here too, BBbevan in fact I started a thread on the very subject not that long ago!

Why don't you all decide to put "PHD" after your names, and if it gets questioned, you can say it stands for "Project Half Done" wink

whywhywhy Mon 08-Apr-19 20:33:18

PHD sounds good to me.

Chewbacca Mon 08-Apr-19 20:36:53

A cross stitch sampler, started for my CD, before she was born. She's nearly 7 now and its Still not finished.

A cardigan started for my CD when she was 5. The yarn was horrible to knit with, really thick and difficult to work with. It's still on the needles......

Grammaretto Mon 08-Apr-19 20:51:03

I joined a yarn group with the sole ambition to finish UFOs. I finished 3 and was very pleased with myself. The blanket begun for DGS 1 now aged 12 was ready for DGC 6.
Unfortunately I seem to have another 3 projects.
Can anyone use a viyella baby gown?. The pieces are all cut but I don't think babies wear nightgown any more.

grannysyb Tue 14-May-19 10:23:49

A dress which I did finish, but the neck never looked OK, it gaped . I took the sleeves out and then it sat better, I was going to turn it into a pinafore dress, then thought possibly a skirt so took out long concealed zip. It sits forlornly sleeveless and zipless in the cupboard!

Witzend Fri 17-May-19 18:32:40

Grammaretto, nearly 40 years later I still have one of the lovely little newborn Viyella nightgowns dd2 wore - embroidered with bunnies on the yoke. She was born in Abu Dhabi, where I bought them - it was too hot for babygros.
Shame they've gone out of fashion, but I've seen modern versions of newborn nightgowns in John Lewis - in cotton jersey, I think, but alas no bunnies!

Thorntrees Sat 18-May-19 13:54:09

The mention of nightgowns reminded me of the ones I made for DD1, all complete with embroidered bunnies. By the time number two daughter came along babygro s were the thing. I remember my Mother saying they were a new fangled idea that would never catch on!