Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Making up knitting

(20 Posts)
pooohbear2811 Wed 10-Apr-19 07:41:09

I am currently knitting baby cardigans for the prem babies in my local hospital and find the sewing tedious especially with the ones that I have made multi coloured. These are doll sized so fiddly. But I have found a lot of free top down all in one piece cardis on www.allfreeknitting.com/ as well as a marvellous blog mariannaslazydaisydays.blogspot.com/ that does a lot of top down as well, at least this way you only have sleeve seams. This is the one I finished last night, will fir about a 4lb baby

teabagwoman Wed 10-Apr-19 07:23:52

Thank you BradfordLass, that’s something I’ll try. Been knitting for years but always hate making up. Currently knitting dolls clothes and they are sorely trying my patience.

BradfordLass72 Wed 10-Apr-19 04:36:32

Blimey! purl

BradfordLass72 Wed 10-Apr-19 04:31:04

I've just learned that trick where you put the needle into the first stitch as if you were going to pearl, but then slip it onto the other needle. It make a neat little loop, or a sort of herringbone pattern all down the edge of the garment.

When making up the garment, it's easy just to sew into the loops. The vid is here - but I guess all the expert knitters here know about it anyway. I'm just a learner.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKDdEgFHm1k

whywhywhy Tue 09-Apr-19 08:17:52

I hate sewing up as well. Years ago I used to give my knitted pieces to my mam. She did it beautifully neat. Sadly she died back in 2009. Sorry I'm no help but I will be looking at YouTube. X

loopyloo Tue 09-Apr-19 08:07:12

I prefer to sew up with cotton thread not wool. Makes thinner seams.

Firecracker123 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:02:21

My favourite all time seamless top down baby pattern is by Diane Soucy, Pure and Simply which is FREE on Ravelry which is also free to join. I have made it numerous times the collar one is seamless and the hooded one just needs the hood seam sown up.

SueDonim Mon 08-Apr-19 23:53:18

I love that Tin Can pattern, Fountainpen, thank you!

FountainPen Mon 08-Apr-19 23:40:49

One of my favourite seamless baby cardigans is the Garter Yoke Baby Cardi by Jennifer Hoel which is knitted top down. Here if you are a member and free to join if not.

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/garter-yoke-baby-cardi

Tin Can Knits do a lovely top down seamless sweater called Flax in sizes to fit babies to large adult. Also free. The other nice thing about this, apart from being seamless, is that the neckline is wideish so easy to get over baby's head without needing a shoulder or back opening.

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/flax

Callistemon Mon 08-Apr-19 23:16:14

neat finish - not need

Callistemon Mon 08-Apr-19 23:15:59

Mattress stitch and three needle bind off at the shoulders gives a need finish. Three needle bind off is not as strong for a seam but should be absolutely fine for baby clothes.
You can find baby cardigans which are knitted in one piece apart from the sleeves.

Damping the garment then blocking it out until dry leaves it looking more professional. Don't press with an iron, it flattens the fibres.

I'm sure your knitting will be most appreciated.

FountainPen Mon 08-Apr-19 23:13:12

Yes mcem, same thing.

www.stitchpiecenpurl.com/mattress-stitch.htm

mcem Mon 08-Apr-19 23:01:06

Thanks FountainPen.
Pleased to see the video as that's the way I 've always tackled seams but wondered if this might be a better way. Apparently not!
I call it ladder stitch so thought it might be different.

FountainPen Mon 08-Apr-19 22:36:15

The video is here. Weaving in ends around 24 minutes and seaming around 27 minutes. Worth watching all of it if you have time. A great project for using up scraps.

verypink.com/2012/02/15/log-cabin-scrap-blanket/

SisterAct Mon 08-Apr-19 22:18:48

Thank you for your replies and I’ll look at you tube ?

janeainsworth Mon 08-Apr-19 21:57:07

I’m making a bedspread at the moment which consists of triangles crocheted together.
If you pick up the very ends of each row it doesn’t seem too bulky.

SueDonim Mon 08-Apr-19 21:51:58

I've tried various methods of making up but for baby garments I've always gone back to a neat overstitch seam, picking up the row-ends.

FountainPen Mon 08-Apr-19 21:20:03

If it's knitting in stocking stitch then mattress stitch is best. Check out Staci Perry aka Very Pink Knits YouTube videos for tips and tricks for finishing including how to weave in ends. Her Log Cabin blanket instructions have a section which should help.

If you dislike the thought of any kind of sewn seam then you might try picking up stitches evenly along each edge and working a three needle bind off but that may also prove a little too bulky for a baby garment.

Chewbacca Mon 08-Apr-19 20:44:10

Can't be of any practical help, I'm afraid OP. I'm a reasonably good knitter but I loathe the stitching it together because it always looks so untidy and lumpy. I'd happily pay someone to do mine.

SisterAct Mon 08-Apr-19 20:27:02

Please can anyone give me advice on the neatest way to make up knitting Recently made baby cardigan but not pleased with sewing up. Knitting lovely but somehow seam look a little bulky ? and woven threads in. Is this right ?