Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Advice please

(15 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 05-May-19 18:38:14

I've just finished a pullover for DH which is lovely but he says he'd like it a bit longer in the body.
I do have enough wool but if I just pick up stitches from the bottom it will show. How can I add a bit of length ?
The rib is simply k1 p1.

Witzend Sun 05-May-19 18:43:35

Undo the rib, add some body, body, re do the rib? A fairly major faff, but can't really see any other way that won't look wrong.

Gonegirl Sun 05-May-19 18:47:20

You could use a contrasting colour wool. Make it look as if it's meant to be there as part of the design.

Gonegirl Sun 05-May-19 18:49:13

It would be a longer rib.

aggie Sun 05-May-19 18:51:24

How do you undo the rib ? The only time I tried I pulled a long bit of wool across the top of the rib and cut it ,you can't undo knitting from the bottom and if you do that and pick up the stitches it shows as upside down

mrsmopp Sun 05-May-19 19:06:41

Oh what a nuisance.
Perhaps I could wet it and stretch it somehow. ☹️

MiniMoon Sun 05-May-19 19:10:30

I know that crochet is different from knitting, but if I've needed to add length, I add to it by using a contrast yarn. I then crochet a row of double crochet around the neck in the same contrasting yarn.
I've done it more than once for the grandchildren, as they grow so quickly.?

mumofmadboys Sun 05-May-19 19:31:32

Get your DH to wear it for a while. Maybe it will stretch a bit. Most jumpers loosen up with wear.

Maggiemaybe Sun 05-May-19 19:37:46

A nice bit of fringing? grin If it was my DH I'm afraid he'd just have to live with it. I'm such a cackhanded knitter that when I dropped a stitch the other day and tried to undo a row to retrieve the situation I ended up unravelling hours of work and starting again. Thank goodness it was just a baby jacket!

mrsmopp Sun 05-May-19 20:13:43

It's his own fault for being six inches taller than anyone else.
I just followed the pattern. ?

Auntieflo Sun 05-May-19 22:52:46

MrsMopp, if you look on You Tube, there are several videos on how to add length to a sweater. Lots of clever hints and tips. Good luck.

Humbertbear Mon 06-May-19 08:36:51

I think the only way you can do this is to pick up the stitches at the bottom of the rib and knit more on, probably in a contrast colour as previously suggested. My husband has a very long back and I have to add 7 inches to a sweater when I knit for him.

Humbertbear Mon 06-May-19 08:37:46

Sorry just had a thought. Maybe you should wear the sweater and knit him another one

Bathsheba Mon 06-May-19 08:59:07

The only way I can think of is to undo the rib from the top, as aggie has described above, and then knit down a much longer rib. You won't be able to knit the main body of the sweater downwards, because the stitches you pick up will be the threads 'in between' the proper stitches, IYSWIM, so the join would show and it would look very odd. But if you only do rib, but much longer, it won't notice.

mrsmopp Wed 08-May-19 21:55:24

Well I was all set to undo the rib as described then I thought before I do that I'd just try something. Got some warm water, some Comfort and swished it about. Spread it out on a bath towel and eased it into shape. Covered it with another bath towel till it dried. It worked a treat. Fits perfect now. Maybe the Comfort just relaxed the fibres. Whew. Thanks for all your help. I'm very grateful. Maybe someone else may find this useful.