Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Bright ideas, please!

(20 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Sat 01-Jun-19 21:01:35

My sister brought me a bag back from holiday all covered in owls. I stuffed it too full and eventually the eyelets gave up, one by one, so the rope handles were no longer secure. She was kind enough to get me a replacement which I stuffed way too full and the lining came away. I have taken both bags to bits but I can't think of anything to do with the fabric. The owls are too cute to throw out! I have two pieces about 22" by 16" and two 18" by 13". It's quite a loose weave sort of canvas that had a rubbery interfacing attached but I've pulled that off. The photo shows what I've salvaged. Any suggestions?

lizzypopbottle Sat 01-Jun-19 21:02:56

If you open the photo, you can see my feet in the shot! Doh!

Scribbles Sat 01-Jun-19 21:43:30

Cushion covers?

Humbertbear Sat 01-Jun-19 22:31:29

I cut up several jackets and made small bags out of them for me and my daughter. They hold a phone, passport, hanky, credit card. I have also made several friends phone bags on a cord which they wear cross body all the time.
If you knit you could make a bag for your knitting.
Or you could make a bag with pockets to hang on the side of your chair and hold your pen, newspaper, book and remote control.

BradfordLass72 Sun 02-Jun-19 04:36:09

I would buy some firm, strong fabric, a light canvas perhaps, and some matching lining enough to make a bag you can stuff to your heart's content, and make another.

Many craft shops sell ready-made handles, so all you'd need to do would be double the fabric, sew the square of owls onto it, add a handle and e voila! A new bag.

DoraMarr Sun 02-Jun-19 09:25:13

Or, you could buy a cheap but robust hessian bag, cut a shape out of the owl fabric ( an owl?) hem it and stitch/ stick to the outside of the hessian bag.

wot Sun 02-Jun-19 10:49:20

Perhaps make a cushion cover?

HazelGreen Sun 02-Jun-19 11:04:29

Now that plastic bags are precious, I would suggest a bag for bags. It is like a sleeve, cylindrical but with elasticated top and bottom to keep bags tidy as they are stuffed in. All needed on addition is a hanging loop.

Fernbergien Sun 02-Jun-19 11:29:24

If you use a tea cosy use fabrics to cover old one.

Evie64 Sun 02-Jun-19 11:46:56

Some great ideas on here. How about a peg bag? You could sew it attached to a small hanger, like those ridiculous ones you get M&S knickers on wink.

ReadyMeals Sun 02-Jun-19 12:05:41

My bright idea is next time you get a new bag, don't overfill it ;)

Spanisheyes Sun 02-Jun-19 12:26:18

Pin it to a canvas and hang it on the wall.

lizzypopbottle Sun 02-Jun-19 12:48:18

All of these are great ideas. Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, even the tongue in cheek ones! (Yes, ReadyMeals I mean you! ???? and you're right!) I'll post on here when I've done something worthwhile with the lovely little owls ☺

Pippa22 Sun 02-Jun-19 13:38:23

Just throw the bits away and buy yourself a larger, stronger bag. Is that an acceptable option ? The most practical I think.

Llamedos13 Sun 02-Jun-19 13:44:05

Cut out an 8 x10 piece and pop it in a frame, would make a colourful and pretty picture.

jacqui67 Sun 02-Jun-19 14:32:23

Could you line a basket with it, or use it to make a hanging large pocket with attached small pockets on the front for jewery etc maybe a bag for underwear when traveling.
The other one I have done is use old material stiffened to cover exercise style books as travel journals.

Hm999 Sun 02-Jun-19 17:09:28

Following on from BradfordLass, places where you buy handbag trim (or Amazon?) you can get stiff backing if you're thinking of making a purse/bag or any of Humbertbear excellent ideas

granbabies123 Sun 02-Jun-19 20:50:54

Why don't you make one of those weighted door stops that are very popular just now

GrannyLiv Sun 02-Jun-19 21:21:26

Notebook slipcovers
Keyfobs
Bunting
Cover buttons and sew them onto your coat/cardigan
Make a collar and cuffs and add them to a plain blouse
Pot pourri scented pouches for your knicker drawer!
Padded coat hangers

Let us know what you eventually did!

Diggingdoris Mon 03-Jun-19 10:28:22

How about making a tote bag the sizes seem ideal. You could make some handles from a plain coordinating fabric. If the fabric is too flimsy you could line it with a plain fabric or if you are really clever how about lining with the other owl fabric and making it reversible! Good luck. Let us know what you do and give us a pic of your creations.