Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

The Sewing Forum

(11 Posts)
Lisalou Sat 21-Sep-19 05:45:06

Over the last years there have been people who belonged to the Sewing Forum who were sad about the fact that it had disappeared. Some of you may know, but it is back, although it is now called The Sewing Place: thesewingplace.org.uk

I found it a few weeks ago and I am sooo happy. This new forum was started some years ago (2017 I think) but I only just found it. Anyway, hope this helps

chelseababy Sat 21-Sep-19 08:10:31

Thanks Lisalou I've just joined. If you are on Facebook there is a friendly group called sewingintheuk. They also have local groups eg sewing in the UK bedfordshire.

Nannarose Sat 21-Sep-19 08:42:23

Lisalou, I know it very well, and I have to say that it didn't occur to me to signal it here, so thank you for being thoughtful!

Lisalou Sat 21-Sep-19 12:49:33

So, my nickname on that forum is Lisalou 1965 - what is yours?

MsSalander Sat 16-Nov-19 21:48:58

Hi, I’m new here and was looking for advice or sign posting to help with my new shiny sewing machine.

I’ve used a machine about a hundred years ago at school so Im not a complete novice but I could do with a back to basics course or book.
Can anyone suggest anything?

Ive taken a quick look at the sewing site mentioned above but it seems quite advanced and for experienced sewers only.

I live in North Staffordshire so unfortunately there are only fields and cows around me, no cities or classes.

I’m not looking to do anything too technical really, just soft furnishings and basic clothing alterations. I’ve used local companies in the past for this and the quality has left a lot to be desired.

Thanks very much.

Farmor15 Sat 16-Nov-19 22:02:50

I’ve been sewing a long time so can’t help direct you to books or websites. However, I’d suggest you start by trying a few things that just involve straight sewing- maybe cushion covers or hemming a piece of fabric for table cloth.
The first thing is to get used to your sewing machine - it probably came with a manual. Did you buy it from a shop or online? Some sewing machine shops offer a few lessons.

Nannarose Sat 16-Nov-19 22:16:25

If the shop where you bought it are not offering lessons, then I would look to see if any lessons are available locally. We still have 'adult education' classes that include sewing.
A number of people offer sewing classes and if you Google, you may find something. I think you are not too far from Leicester, where Michelle Pye (English Couture Company) offers lessons. Her advertised ones are for more experienced sewers, but she does individual sessions.
You can also ask on The Sewing Place for recommendations.
Hav just seen your post Lisalou - I'm annierose.

MsSalander Thu 21-Nov-19 17:25:04

Thanks very much both of you.

I’m 70 miles from Leicester unfortunately & I bought my machine from Argos.

The only sewing classes available locally are in the morning and I work full time.

The machine (Janome) did come with a manual, which I have read, but it’s very basic. I think I’ll just have to play around and find some books and look at YouTube.

It’s annoying because the manual doesnt identify things properly (e.g. which feet are which) and assumes a lot of sewing knowledge is already present. The last machine I used was a Singer with a manual foot treadle from the 1950s.

Lisalou Sat 30-Nov-19 07:25:17

Hi MsSalander! I would really recommend you have a chat on the forum - yes, there are very experienced sewers on there, but they are extraordinarily kind and helpful. You may not have noticed, but there is a section for soft furnishings, if you want to start with cushions and things like that.
On the other hand, you tube is also your friend. I only started sewing a few years ago. I have no courses near me, and I can happily say that I have learned a great deal watching tutorials. It really depends what sort of thing you want to make, as to where you get help. I love quilting too, and use tutorials from a lady called Jenny Doan at the Missouring Quilt Company.
The other idea is if you have a hobbycraft nearby - they often know of local courses you could attend

Hi Annierose - what sort of sewing do you do?

J52 Sat 30-Nov-19 08:12:06

Hi, it’s lovely to return to sewing. You’ve chosen a good make of machine, they’re pretty easy to use. I’ve got two, a lighter basic one and one with more advanced stitches. I’ve found the manuals very helpful. It’s also a good idea to equip yourself with extra needles, apart from breaking, a bent or blunt needle makes sewing difficult.
When I started sewing again, after a 30 year gap, I found the ReadersDigest book of sewing a help. Probably out of print noe, but I came across it on a charity book shelf. They often have sections of craft books and sewing books.

overthehill Tue 31-Dec-19 14:29:15

I am a member of Sewing in the UK on FB. As others have said loads of advice if you need it.
I have always done sewing but it drifted off over the years as you could buy clothes cheap but material was/is expensive. I used to sew my children's clothes for next to nothing but you can't do that anymore.
I live near a market so can still get bargains. Bought a new Janome machine about 4 years ago now and have used it a lot. I make stuff for myself and have made dresses for my granddaughter to.
Going on the Sewing FB page gave me the idea to take a pattern from something that fitted OK, a top and to make others from that. I altered the sleeves, neck line, added ties and collars just to make them all different.
I also plucked up the courage to try knitted fabric and mainly use that now.
Anyway good luck bet you'll enjoy it once you're into it.