Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Value in making your own

(61 Posts)
craftyone Sun 29-Sep-19 09:55:07

Is their monetary value in sewing. We all know it is a wonderful relaxing hobby but where is the value?

GabriellaG54 Mon 30-Sep-19 19:14:03

craftyone
At the risk of being shot down in flames for being envy, I do envy you that skill.
It must be wonderful to make something to fit you perfectly in a material of your choosing.
??

Grandmama Mon 30-Sep-19 20:46:43

In the 1970s I went to dress making classes, graduating to advanced at the local Further Education College. At one time all my clothes were home-made, including my wedding dress, coats, jackets, trousers and a suit, trousers and a duffle coat for DH. Then charity shops took off, and I started buying from them. I have a huge stash of lovely fabrics, many from Liberty's. Must get sewing again . . . .

Bijou Mon 30-Sep-19 21:08:17

I went to classes for lampshade making in the 60s. Then one bought a frame from John Lewis. This was bound tightly with tape. The lining material was pinned tightly to this. Lots of pin pricks! Then sewn. Then the outer material was pinned and sewn. Then braid sewn on to cover the stitches. Were advised to use natural material. I made some with quarter inch pleats using silk chiffon. Still have them.

GreenGran78 Mon 30-Sep-19 22:32:24

I much regret the passing of cheap evening classes, Bijou. Years ago you could learn almost anything, for a nominal amount. I learned shorthand/typing, creative writing, woodwork, English and French A-level and judo, among other things, and even ended up teaching a judo evening class myself. There is much less choice these days, and the fees are so high that many people can’t afford them.

Purpledaffodil Mon 30-Sep-19 22:56:10

Bijou your post reminded me that I too made lampshades but in the 1970s and much less elegant. A tube of fabric was gathered top and bottom with a frill of the same material placed so it went around the bottom of the frame. I think they were called mob cap shades? Last one I made was for DDs nursery in 1984. Air balloon shape with a basket suspended beneath with a small stuffed toy in it. Certainly was cheaper than buying one and I could make a basket liner for baby toiletries AND a cushion to match. Had totally forgotten all of this until this fascinating thread. ?

Lilyflower Tue 01-Oct-19 09:16:06

Its a pity that younger people, mostly, have no interest in learning"

I agree but my DD loves to sew. She won the craft prize in year nine and has always found sewing and mending both therapeutic and economical. When she was starting off in her first job she had little spare money but made cushions for presents for all her friends for Christmas. They loved them so much that one asked her to make cushions as a wedding present from some William Morris fabric she was left by a relative. They were truly beautiful and the DD learned how to pipe an edge to make them as well so she added a skill to her armoury.

Hetty58 Tue 01-Oct-19 09:23:37

Lorelei, I must admit that, although I can sew and have a good machine, I take things to the local dry cleaners for zip replacement or alteration. Lazy, I know. What I love about sewing is being able to copy (exactly) a favourite skirt or top in a fabric I've chosen. I can make cushions, blinds and summer dresses for the grandkids too!

LondonGranny Tue 01-Oct-19 13:00:41

Although I sew my youngest daughter is the really skilled one. I tend to do really pretty easy stuff (quilting, simple frocks, taking up trousers and repairs etc) but she decided to do a course about fifteen years ago because she couldn't find what she wanted in the shops.

I have a beautiful lined shot silk evening jacket she made for me. The collar took real skill and sits beautifully but can also be worn sticking up, if you see what I mean. Every time I wear it I'm asked where I got it from.

It's made from a peacock blue evening dress with a small rip that she found in a charity shop but shimmers with a paler turquoise. The lining is from an old dark blue silk kimono style dressing gown that was my mothers, given to her in the 60s by a friend who lived in Hong Kong for a few years.

She's got two sewing machines (one is an overlocker she got on ebay secondhand). I've just got a basic John Lewis sewing machine bought in the sales. £20 because it had a scratch on it. Bargain!

Stansgran Tue 01-Oct-19 14:11:02

Sewing is good for mental health. I just say I need a zen moment and disappear to sew. I have heaps of material waiting to be sewn.

Fennel Tue 01-Oct-19 21:18:31

This thread has made me want to start again.
Trouble is, I've 'lent' my machine to a young friend and I'm not sure that she'll use it productively.
A big problem is that it's difficult to find good quality fabrics these days. Such as Harris tweed, which costs a fortune now.
When we came back from Singapore in 1968 I made Harris Tweed coats for me and our 3 children. And daughter's Teddy. which she still has .