Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Upcycling small furniture

(33 Posts)
RiebyG Thu 03-Oct-19 11:47:22

Anyone else made something old look stunning?

merlotgran Fri 15-Nov-19 17:30:46

DD2 was given some old wine crates. She wanted to make a bookcase out of them so we cleaned all the gunk off with a steamer, pulled out all the nails and staples and treated them with Danish oil. We then painted the insides with Annie Sloan Graphite chalk paint. The picture was taken before the paint was completely dry so there are a few streaks.

When we started to stack them together we noticed that the dates of the wines on the boxes corresponded with the years her three children were born!

Spooky!!

Callistemon Fri 15-Nov-19 17:33:34

Serendipity!

You are all so creative.

avajones77 Tue 24-Dec-19 07:35:39

Not yet, I am planning to work on something. ;)

SpringyChicken Tue 24-Dec-19 08:02:09

Husband transformed the dining room lights with a can of spray paint. The metal parts were a formerly a depressing dark brown (ahem, antique bronze). Now a creamy white

Welshwife Tue 24-Dec-19 08:30:43

I have done various things over the years - bedside tables and cupboards etc and used emulsion paint and then used clear Matt varnish.
I found the chalk paint although easy to use was notso good for wearing qualities unless waxes well.
If you want a hard wearing finish eggshell paint lasts for years and is very washable.

Sparkling Tue 31-Dec-19 16:46:58

Merlotgran. How on earth does paint stick to fabric without cracking ? The chair looks amazing.
I would like to know how you get wallpaper etc to stick to wood, do you use paste or glue and go you seal it with something, I have two old bedside cupboards with I would like to paint and add patterns too, if they turn out a disaster they can will go to the recycling centre,

NandiToBoys Fri 07-Feb-20 20:02:58

@Sparkling have you heard of mod podge? You can use that on allsorts of materials to add pictures ect. Have a Google.

I'm new to gransnet and this is my first post smile