Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Best knit blanket designs

(9 Posts)
KerrieReilly Thu 09-Jan-20 07:29:53

Been knitting blankets for a long time now, and I always buy from this store that has exquisite yarn for chunky knit blankets. Most of the time, I make blankets with just one colour or simple patterns like squares or triangles. Now I want to do something more creative and unique, and I need some great ideas for this. Can you give some easy designs that I can try out? Maybe you could suggest designs for both kids and adults. Thanks in advance.

tanith Thu 09-Jan-20 07:45:31

My GD was given a lovely blanket by her friend knitted with Pom-pom baby yarn (there are lots of makes) , being a knitter I was curious and realised that this beautiful thick but very soft blanket was knitted with this yarn but it was easy peasy but looks really complicated. I’m going to have a go next time a new baby joins the family.

Doodledog Thu 09-Jan-20 08:40:26

Have you looked on www.ravelry.com ?

You might need to register, but it is free, and the search facility is second to none. You can select the yarn weight you want to use, the number of colours, the yardage (ie how big you want the finished result to be) and add things like cables or fair isle if you know that you want to use those techniques. A lot of patterns are free, and it is easy to pay for those that aren't.

It's always my first port of call when I'm looking for a pattern. You can save anything you like for later, too, if you see something you might want to make another time.

Chardy Mon 13-Jan-20 20:19:52

I knitted a Tree of Life buggish baby blanket for newborn DGD. But I started improvising in the middle section (which was the tree) and the final section which a criss-cross pattern. That was fun

Grannyknot Tue 14-Jan-20 09:59:43

Hi Kerrie - I've knitted a few baby blankets that are slightly different - one starts with a couple of stitches and then you increase on both sides of each row so that the blanket grows from the corner, so to speak (diagonally). You simply knit until the halfway mark has been reached depending on what size you want, and then you start decreasing. On Ravelry, the pattern I use is Diagonal Comfort Blanket - there are other patterns on there if you search for 'diagonal baby blanket'. It makes for a very squishy snuggly blanket, very popular with the recipients!

Another way of making simple blankets more interesting is to knit using Andalusian stitch, it makes a waffle weave:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjMphgPTLKs

Spookwriter23 Sun 01-Mar-20 13:48:00

Good for Boris a fiancee and he's going to be a dad Good for him

whywhywhy Sun 01-Mar-20 13:49:59

What does Boris have to do with this post? Please don’t spoil my lovely Sunday afternoon knitting.

Callistemon Sun 01-Mar-20 14:37:03

whywhywhy grin

No doubt some kind soul will be knitting away already for Boris and Carrie's baby, as they do for new members of the Royal Family.

Whilst there are lots of poor little souls in refugee camps who are freezing cold.

Callistemon Sun 01-Mar-20 14:45:33

If you look at Deramores site, they often have free designs for knitted or crocheted blankets.
www.deramores.com/collections/all-free-knitting-patterns/free-pattern

If you join they will send emails regularly with patterns that you can download free of charge.