Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Want to take up embroidery/crochet again but who will want the results? Recommendations please

(82 Posts)
giulia Sun 12-Jan-20 12:24:40

Nobody of a younger generation wants pot plant mats of milk jug covers any more. Nor does anybody want embroidered hankies.

Can anyone think of anything small but useful I can make, using crochet or embroidery? So far, have thought of making pefume sachets for drawers and embroidering them with a small motif.

I so enjoy the manuality of these activities but want to make things that my nearest and dearest can enjoy and make use of.

M0nica Sun 12-Jan-20 16:32:04

Good God, no criticism of anything anyone previously posted. I did read the thread, but I am suffering from gold fish mind today.

I am deeply apologetic if I sounded as if I was criticising you, I wasn't.

Grannytomany Sun 12-Jan-20 17:18:01

No offence taken, hence the lol. No good at smileys.

tessagee Sun 12-Jan-20 17:30:57

I too used to belong to a knitting group but stopped about three years ago as there was no longer any market for even exquisite knits for babies not to mention clothing and hats for older people. One woman said in my hearing that it 'all ended up in landfill anyway'. Not very encouraging, especially given the cost of yarn. That said, I'm still knitting for charity shops and they do seem to like getting the results. So onwards and upwards!

CraftyGranny Sun 12-Jan-20 17:50:30

I have stopped knitting sweaters etc for family now. The young ones seem to prefer labelled clothes!
I love to crochet/knit toys, Christmas tree decs and am currently making clothes for my Great Grandaughter's "babies". Anything to keep my hands busy.
Last year I was asked to knit some premature baby hats to send abroad to undeveloped countries. They are always very grateful. Toys would always be welcome there too.

M0nica Sun 12-Jan-20 18:09:26

DD is the knitter/dressmaker/crocheter/rug maker/any craft you care to mention maker in our family - and her good are in high demand.

It was fingerless gloves all round at Christmas, mostly commissioned and she has a Victorian sock knitter which churns out bed socks on demand, all in the colours of our choice. DDiL commissioned a pullover from a vintage knitting pattern, after one DD had made for DS had been much worn - and much admired. She has knitted her own crib set and has made some magnificent wall hanging.

She has now returned to work on her stair carpet to a pattern found on a period carpet sample.

It all started with a cross stitch kit.

DazedAndConfusedByLife Sun 12-Jan-20 18:11:42

The craft group I belong to are currently crocheting, knitting and sewing for the Australia Animal Rescue, as linked by pps.

Otherwise we make hats and blankies for the local hospital preemie unit.

giulia Mon 13-Jan-20 15:15:20

Grannytomany You are so right about yarn being expensive. Have always used Swiss 100% cotton yarn.

I too aim to keep my fingers busy rather than make money.

Goodness! What a lot of suggestions - thank you everybody.

giulia Mon 13-Jan-20 15:20:23

lavenderzen Have never tried to sell anything on Ebay as don't know how.

I have a recipe against moths, which includes Citrus rinds, cloves, grated marseilles soap, which I could put into embroidered sachets. Everyone says the smell is wonderful. That might be the most practical thing to make in bulk.

Again, thanks for the encouragement.

pinkquartz Mon 13-Jan-20 15:28:39

There is a charity for the "fish and chip babies"
It is for babies in Africa born with Aids or other issues.
I have a friend who belongs to a group that knit for them.
In that case the group provide the yarn
There are patterns on the net of what to knit. It is a lovely thing to do.
She knits jumpers, very small. blankets and little hats.

"The term ‘chip shop babies’ began when it was discovered that often new born babies mostly in developing countries arrived into this world and had no clothes to put on. As a result the newborns were wrapped in newspaper, just like a fish supper, to keep them warm. News of this reached knitters up and down the UK who developed a simple vest pattern, with additional hat sometimes, which even a novice knitter could cope with. As a result tens of thousands of vests have been knitted and sent out to needy babies around the world."

agnurse Mon 13-Jan-20 15:32:02

Some hospitals have a "friends of the hospital" organization, and sometimes one of the things they do is to provide knitted or crocheted hats for the new babies. You might check with your local hospital to see if that's something they would like.

IME, many cross stitch magazines have a number of wonderful ideas for what you can do with embroidered or cross-stitched items. You can make cards, pillows, needle cases, scissors cases, and even embroidered boxes. I have a book at home that details a number of different projects. One of them is even a desk set made out of plastic canvas.

GrannyLaine Mon 13-Jan-20 15:40:22

Giulia are you wanting to sell your items or give them away? Many good ideas on these posts but if you're selling, perhaps take a look at the Etsy website to see what is current. If you simply want to keep your hands busy, maybe donate to a local baby bank?

rosecarmel Mon 13-Jan-20 17:57:14

Crocheted scrunchies are a thing again, I sold the ones I made long ago at local boutiques and antique shops- They're small and don't involve too much investment -

Chardy Mon 13-Jan-20 20:08:31

Has anyone mentioned lap blankets and shawls for the elderly? Individuals or care homes or geriatric wards?

supergabs1960 Sun 19-Apr-20 08:11:13

I love crocheting and I find that amigurumi decorations/figures/toys are very popular. Also bunting. I do baby blankets for work buddies' new babies that are always well received and have made special blankets for each member of my family.
My daughter made me smile when I gave her a much admired rainbow ripple blanket. "Mum!" she said, "This is amazing! You could sell these for at least £30 each". £30 wouldn't even cover the yarn, let alone the hours of work involved. Hence large blankets for loved ones only wink
I also crochet blanket squares for Brighter Futures Blanketeers. These get made into blankets for 'end of life' patients at our local hospital. The blanket goes on their bed and when, sadly, they pass it is offered to the family to keep. Obviously at the moment this is on hold but as soon as things get back to normal there will be a supply of squares winging their way to the Great western Hospital.
My latest fun things to crochet are little plants/succulents. I made one for a work buddy whose houseplant died. She loved it.

Ginny42 Sun 19-Apr-20 08:27:08

I want to take up crochet again to stay busy. A friend has made a lovely rainbow to hang in her window. I want to make one too.

There's a pattern and the materials on the website in Doodledog's post upthread, although I think the colours rather dark. I'm trying to order wool on line.

It's basically a circle folded in half I think.

Oldbutstilluseful Sun 19-Apr-20 08:27:10

In the group I belong to the people who crochet make little octopus with tentacles which are put in incubators for the babies to hold rather than pull on the tubes. If you google Octopus for preemies all the details are there. Hospitals never seem to have enough. A word of warning, there are strict criteria which have to be followed to ensure the items are safe to go in with the babies.

FindingNemo15 Sun 19-Apr-20 08:33:34

This is part of the reason I do not have knitting etc., as a hobby. The youngsters seem to want designer labels, some charities have strict criteria and materials can work out expensive.

I love going to craft fairs, but often wonder if the sellers actually recoup their efforts and outlay.

Lilypops Sun 19-Apr-20 08:53:33

There was a thread earlier this week from PurplePixie about baby sleeves , these are worn by babies who have a cannula in their arms, to stop them trying to pull them out , , I have made a few to keep me busy and it uses oddments of dk wool and you can knit a few in an evening. 26sts and 30 rows of garter stitch .
I used to knit for my Granddaughters. But they want bought jumpers and cardis now, I have crocheted baby blankets as gifts and they seem to be appreciated as I have seen them used,
It’s all about keeping busy in these unknown worrying times ,

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 09:52:34

Ginny42 the Deramores site has a free download pattern for making a crochet rainbow.

I'm smiling at your post supergabs about the cost of making blankets - even using up a yarn stash and charging for time would be cost- prohibitive!

FindingNemo I have only knitted for charity for a while now as I realised that children here don't want to wear knitted garments after they reach a certain age.
Children freezing in refugee camps are very glad of warm hand knits and blankets though.

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 09:56:49

I did knit things in the latest fashion for DGC but, after hugs and thanks I never saw them worn! Now I could do with them back to unravel to make a blanket; knitted or crocheted blankets seem to be 'in'.

NotSpaghetti Sun 19-Apr-20 10:16:24

Like others, can I just repeat the need for hats for the Neonatal Intensive Care Units?

Not only are they useful but they are the only little bit of “ordinaryness” in that scary world.
My little granddaughter, with all her tubes and lights had this one human touch, made by someone who would never know her. Someone who had reached out to provide a tiny gift of love to a frightened and desperate family.
I know that little hat will always be precious to my daughter.
Thankfully, our little darling survived and is well and happy but for some families those little hats may have been the only non-medical item their baby has ever had.

rockgran Sun 19-Apr-20 10:30:06

I love to make things but try not to get too hung up on where they will end up. I consider them to be jigsaws and puzzles that keep me entertained and eventually they go to charity shops or are given to friends. I'm about to embark on yet another quilt and it will give me a lot of pleasure. Eventually someone else (or someone's pet) will enjoy it too. I could spend as much money on other pastimes with no end results...and my bedcovers always looks fabulous! (I have also made some scrubs bags for the NHS.)

Nellie098 Sun 19-Apr-20 10:51:26

I am part of a crochet group but our projects are just about learning techniques and our teacher has given up attending craft sales as it is not worth while. What I did like when I went to the Stitching show in London last year was a lovely crochet and stitched hoop on display, A lady had stitched wavy lines to make waves and then had added a crocheted fish. Looked better than it sounds. I would have bought it had it been for sale. What I am hoping to make are some 6 inch red hearts as our local hospital are going to give them to families whose babies have died. I am making a small star stitched purse in red which looks different from your usual doubles and trebles and is really simple.

Carillion01 Sun 19-Apr-20 11:13:08

Giulia,
I am full of admiration for people who can crochet and knit.

I have 'made things' all my life from four years' of age when I watched my grandmother magically make me some ballet 'slippers' from shoe inner-soles and scraps of gold coloured satin fabric left over from upholstering a child's armchair.

No matter what I've made I've never been able to crochet. (My knitting although even after trying my best had the tension of a fishing net - true).

I want you to know, many buyers and friends and other recipients of your lovely products would still be very keen on crocheted milk jug covers and the beaded, embroidered decorative tops for jars of preserves.

I can tell you also many quilters are looking for embroidered pieces (shaped like handkerchiefs). Being a quilt fanatic I can tell you it's great to find these pieces of embroidery to use as motif pieces in quilt making.

I am not suggesting you don't make the lovely garments for little ones in need at maternity hospitals for example. I just want to encourage you in what you like to make, especially as crafting of many sorts is becoming a life-saver at these times.
Xxx

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 19-Apr-20 12:32:12

www.bliss.org.uk/support-bliss/volunteer/knit-for-premature-babies

Patterns on this site.

Need to check with local maternity hospitals/wards that they will take garments for the babies.