Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Want to take up embroidery/crochet again but who will want the results? Recommendations please

(82 Posts)
giulia Sun 12-Jan-20 12:24:40

Nobody of a younger generation wants pot plant mats of milk jug covers any more. Nor does anybody want embroidered hankies.

Can anyone think of anything small but useful I can make, using crochet or embroidery? So far, have thought of making pefume sachets for drawers and embroidering them with a small motif.

I so enjoy the manuality of these activities but want to make things that my nearest and dearest can enjoy and make use of.

Whingingmom Sun 12-Jul-20 22:40:03

Some churches accept blankets etc for refugees - I think it’s called “Knit for Peace” - they accept all types - crochet/knitting etc.
What about local hostels? Women’s Refuge?

Magnolia62 Mon 20-Jul-20 23:49:49

Not crochet I know, but I have made three double bed sized throws over the last three years from knitted squares. ( The latest one I called my Corona blanket as I made it during lockdown.)
I knitted 99 squares for each. ‘Knitting on the net’ is a website that gives instructions for a variety of stitches/patterns. I chose ones with combinations of knit and pearl stitches as I am not very good at holding patterns in my head. Most squares had approx 45 stitches in each depending on the pattern. I chose multi coloured wools so every square was different with about 17 different patterns overall.
The three young people I made them for, one being my daughter, love them as they are so bright and colourful as well as being warm, though only acrylic yarn.
I vow never to make another but since it is easy to make at least one square an evening it passes the time as I can’t just sit watching tv.
If anyone can tell me how to post a pic from my iPad, I will post one.

travelsafar Thu 08-Oct-20 12:15:19

I have just made a long cardi for my daughter. She saw one i had made for myself and loved it but wanted hers longer. I have also had a request from another family member for one so i shall be kept busy. Yes i agree yarn can be expensive but it does affect the finish of a garment. I tend to look out for sales in the online shops and try to buy the best i can.

Antonia Thu 08-Oct-20 13:02:26

Another one here making cross stitch cards. With a small design, words 'happy birthday' and the person's name.

Fennel Thu 08-Oct-20 18:12:31

Something no-one has mentioned yet - proggy mats. You keep old clothes etc, cut them into small strips and insert them into a sort of coarse mesh to make a floor covering.
All the rage in the 40s-50s grin.
More seriously, when my fine finger and visual controls were declining I made some wool tapestries which I had framed. I drew the pictures first and researched different embroidery stitches to use appropriate for the various details.
We still have them hanging on our dining room wall.

dontmindstayinghome Mon 12-Oct-20 11:44:54

I crochet baby blankets and donate them to our local 'baby bank'.

Very simple - just a rectangle in any stitch you want, then finish off with a row of a lacey edging.

I do much more elaborate lacey ones for babies of family and friends.