Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Blankets for Australian animals

(7 Posts)
Greenfinch Fri 17-Jan-20 14:11:26

We have a local collecting point near us and I was wondering if anyone had a pattern for the blankets ie what size they need to be.I was directed to Facebook but it is a closed group which I do not want to get involved with.Any other patterns for these poor animals would be gratefully received . Thanks

notanan2 Fri 17-Jan-20 14:14:35

Havent vets been asking for people to STOP sending knitwear. A lot of the animals have open wounds and diseases are spreading and they need things that can be boil washed only. Plus the volume of knitwear arriving is causing them logistical problems

Ngaio1 Fri 17-Jan-20 14:15:28

If anyone has info, I would also like to help.

Greenfinch Fri 17-Jan-20 14:18:23

I had not realised that notanan.Perhaps I will go to the collecting centre and have a word with them to try and find out more.

Chestnut Fri 17-Jan-20 14:21:38

Knitwear seems a ridiculous thing to wrap them in. It's probably better to send money to the welfare organisations who can then purchase suitable materials for their wounds. I have posted a link on another thread.

notanan2 Fri 17-Jan-20 14:27:22

People are still setting up collection centres regardless. It has been in the news. Vets who are there have been asking people to stop. They dont have the man power to deal with the deliveries of knitwear they cant use. They are short on storage/resources as it is.

Esspee Fri 17-Jan-20 14:38:56

My granddaughters have been making “mittens” and “bootees” for koala bears at school. (California.?). They were so excited at the prospect I said nothing, even though I knew from an Australian that they weren’t wanted/needed.
The humane treatment which is being used is euthanasia as there is no natural habitat for them to return to. There is also a major cull going on of kangaroos and camels - nothing to do with the fires.