Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Socks - shall I bin them

(56 Posts)
mary51 Sun 19-Jan-20 13:40:25

I managed to knit a pair of socks for a toddler and Kitchener stitch the toes (with the aid of Youtube) and then I tried a pair of adult socks. I have just picked them up after two months and tried to Kitchener stitch the toes ( with the aid of a book this time) and feel like giving up. I was so pleased to get this far but thinking life's too short to knit socks. Its all getting into a terrible tangle and they may well go into the bin or just languish around for a while!

They sere knitted on ordinary needles and joined up the back seam. Does anyone else have abandoned socks (UFOs)

Callistemon Sun 19-Jan-20 19:36:08

Goodness!

I can't manage with four

Off to knit square for charity, don't have to think so I can watch CTM at the same time.

CocoPops Mon 20-Jan-20 02:48:46

I joined a knitting group when I first immigrated to N.America. The majority of the members were making socks and on 4 needles. I thought "why knit socks?" Decided to have a go but I didn't want to faff about with 4 needles. I bought a book called " Toe-up 2-at-a-time socks" by Melissa Morgan- Oakes. (Amazon.co.uk 8 Pounds 63p) which I recommend.
2 socks are knitted at the same time on one long circular needle. The instructions are very clear with photos and includes 15 patterns for kids and adults. The socks are "made to measure". There's a simple formula given to measure the toe to gusset length. There's no sewing when you're done. So I made a pair and got "the message"! They are SO comfy and fit like a glove. I have since made a few pairs for my adult children and they just love 'em.

TwiceAsNice Mon 20-Jan-20 06:12:01

Have never made socks I can’t get on with a circular needle never mind four at once! I do knit other stuff all on the usual two needles. I have found that that Boden glitter thread socks for me better than any others I have ever bought. The glitter is not on the inside they are made of some material that is so comfortable, and they look SO pretty.

notanan2 Mon 20-Jan-20 06:47:08

I love knitwear but cannot understand knitted socks! I need a layer of cotton under knitwear I dont like it against my skin. Ive been given a few pairs of knitted socks but cannot bear the feeling. Socks are underwear, knitwear should never be underwear IMO. I would room 101 ALL knitted socks!

I think it must be about the technical challenge. Maybe thats why they end up gifted? There are much better types of thermal socks out there

BlueSapphire Mon 20-Jan-20 07:25:16

I too had never heard of Kitchener stitch so I googled it, and found that it is the way I join shoulder seams on hand-knitted jumpers etc. I never knew it had a name and thought I had invented the method myself! Certainly never seen instructions for it! It does give a beautifully invisible and smooth seam.

Marelli Mon 20-Jan-20 07:53:02

I just love knitting socks - (4 needles and lovely, self-pattetning yarn).
I have never tackled Kitchener stitch, though. I just follow the pattern that I always use, turning sock inside out and grafting remaining stitches together at the toe. Always works out fine. ?

Persistentdonor Mon 20-Jan-20 09:06:17

Annodomini I don't mean to be rude, but I am fascinated that knitting was actually taught in schools - dare I ask WHEN (and where,) that was please?

Also odd socks is a fashion thing that goes round and round - I remember it was popular in the mid 80's when wearing odd fluorescent socks was really trendy!!

Chewbacca Mon 20-Jan-20 09:12:37

I was taught to knit in school too. Only on 2 needles though. Must have been around 1960/1961. Very glad too because its a skill that's lasted me a lifetime and one I've just passed on to my GD.

Persistentdonor Mon 20-Jan-20 09:43:37

Interesting Chewbacca ....
I was taught many sewing skills at primary and senior schools, including smocking, but I don't recall any knitting at school, though I did learn from mother & grandmothers.

Persistentdonor Mon 20-Jan-20 09:45:00

Should add I started primary school in the mid 50's. smile

lucywinter Mon 20-Jan-20 09:51:37

I learned knitting in primary school. Made a little pair of pink baby mittens. I remember standing at the teacher's desk while she picked up dropped stitches. I must have been about nine or ten. Around 1950.

I kept the mittens in tissue paper and they went on all three of my babies, even the baby boy.

whywhywhy Mon 20-Jan-20 09:57:20

I learned to knit at the age of 9 and have taught 2 of my 4 grandkids to knit just lately. I love knitting. I have knitted just one pair of socks in my life and I didn’t enjoy the experience one bit, so I will never knit them again. If I was you I would pull them out and use the wool for something else. You could always add it to some chunky wool and make squares for charity blankets. Just a thought. Have a lovely day. X

Persistentdonor Mon 20-Jan-20 10:03:17

That's brilliant Lucy. Well done you.
I remember stuggling through creating a heart shaped cotton dishcloth to give as a Christmas gift for one grandma, and making a pair of baby mittens to gain my Brownie knitting badge.

annodomini Mon 20-Jan-20 10:08:32

Persistentdonor, we started to knit in primary school and continued into secondary school. This was in Scotland in the 1940s - 50s. I was lucky in that my aunt taught me to knit when I was 5 and had measles and had nothing else to do. So I had a head start. When my DS1 was little, I taught him to do simple knitting and he made a scarf for his teddy, but that's as far as it went. I don't think he ever picked up the knitting needles after that - now getting on for 50!

Kalu Mon 20-Jan-20 10:15:45

We were taught to knit socks and gloves with four needles at school. I did enjoy it at the time but it wasn’t something I continued. Managed a couple of Aran jumpers at one point.

I find knitting and crochet therapeutic too and always have something to pick up when I’m in the mood.

Would it be worth looking a the YouTube method again Mary51?

Persistentdonor Mon 20-Jan-20 13:09:54

Perhaps they stopped teaching knitting in English schools during the late 50's??
Or perhaps my teachers just couldn't knit. smile

notanan2 Mon 20-Jan-20 14:24:35

They currently teach knitting and sewing in my local primary

mary51 Mon 20-Jan-20 14:34:54

That's a lovely story Lucy.

Witzend Mon 20-Jan-20 14:44:00

I can beat the 56 odd socks - at one point I had over 70 of dh’s in a bag, waiting for their other halves to turn up.

They hardly ever did - God knows what happened to them all. In the end it was a case of Good Riddance, and into the bin.

mary51 Wed 22-Jan-20 15:01:10

KItchener stitch or grafting I managed this time in just 15 mins in front of you tube so so first sock just needs to be sewn up. Then second sock half done to be finished.

Good to hear all your versions of sock knitting! That's what I love about Gransnet. {smile}

Greta Wed 22-Jan-20 15:49:51

We learnt to knit socks and mittens in school at the age of about 10; with 5 needles and a lot of perseverance. A few years later we learnt to weave on a floor loom. This was in a Girls' Grammar school. I found some balls of cotton yarn not so long ago and knitted a couple of wash mitts for my young grandsons. The boys chose the colours. The mitts were fun and really easy to knit and I now have a request for some more. Cotton yarn also lends itself to dish cloths.

Mrst1405 Mon 03-Feb-20 21:01:54

I could knit as I went to school and we knit a jumper and made a simple sewed skirt at about 11. We had to made our grecian dance tunic and knickers at 12. My favourite socks are on 2 circular needles with a 3 needle cast off. It's a great Christmas present and only special friends get them.

JackyB Tue 04-Feb-20 10:33:05

I am a hopeless knitter and have just spent over a week making a scarf for my DGD's teddy bear. Socks? Don't think I'll go there!

Callistemon Tue 04-Feb-20 14:46:13

I should try socks as I really dislike sewing up.

Alishka Fri 28-Feb-20 10:46:38

@CocoPops - to clarify...you knit socks from toe to gusset?
confused
That's damned near a pair of tights to megrin