Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Socks - shall I bin them

(56 Posts)
mary51 Sun 19-Jan-20 13:40:25

I managed to knit a pair of socks for a toddler and Kitchener stitch the toes (with the aid of Youtube) and then I tried a pair of adult socks. I have just picked them up after two months and tried to Kitchener stitch the toes ( with the aid of a book this time) and feel like giving up. I was so pleased to get this far but thinking life's too short to knit socks. Its all getting into a terrible tangle and they may well go into the bin or just languish around for a while!

They sere knitted on ordinary needles and joined up the back seam. Does anyone else have abandoned socks (UFOs)

PernillaVanilla Fri 28-Feb-20 11:01:59

My father was taught to knit socks in the army, he was very proud of the skill and kept a pair on the go to show off to female relations. he never tried to knit anything else though.

Auntieflo Fri 28-Feb-20 11:56:37

Well done Mary on mastering your socks and finishing them.

I love knitting, it is so therapeutic to be able to have something to pick up and put down.
I think Mum must have taught me to knit, I don't remember learning as such.
In my teens I made a knitted suit and was so proud of it, but then I was tall and skinny then, so could get away with it.
The Christmas before last, I bought some beautiful, random patterned, paired socks for my 2 GGC. There were 3 socks in each 'pair', no doubt to account for the ones that go missing. I was so taken with them that U found a pattern and knitted more for the little boy. He uses them as welly socks, as I think they were on the big size.
At the moment I am using up odds and ends and making cannula sleeves/ socks for a baby unit.

Witzend Fri 28-Feb-20 12:00:44

As you said, life’s too short.
I’ve more than once binned things where the pattern proved too frustratingly complicated.

One was a big black cuddly cardi I was knitting for my sister. Mostly within my abilities, but oh, the ‘pick up and knit’ God knows how many stitches for the border all around. I nearly went blind trying to see to do it - black yarn certainly didn’t help. After a great deal of effort I gave up.

Luckily the yarn hadn’t been expensive - it was acrylic, for a sister in the US who will never in a million years hand wash anything - and everything goes in the tumble drier.

mary51 Fri 28-Feb-20 13:27:36

Alas Auntieflo I spoke too soon on last post of 22nd January,
Thought I had it perfectly done but on closer inspection there was a thread crossing on top of sock which meant a few rows undone and reknitted and waiting for kitchener stitch again. And now it's back on the back burner or the bin or something!!

I too find knitting very relaxing and usually do in front of a good film or rugby match. Have recently made a hen and just finishing off a rooster! {smile}

Elegran Fri 28-Feb-20 14:14:16

I found one use for odd socks when I injured my hand. The white dressing never stayed clean for five minutes - until I cut the foot off an odd sock and cut a hole in the remaining ankle bit at a suitable place for my thumb. I wore it over the dressing, with my thumb through the hole, ribbed top round the base of my fingers and cut edge tucked inside my sleeve. It went into the washing when it got grubby, and was thrown out and replaced when it got too scruffy. The dressing stayed clean.

It kept my hand warm while I couldn't get a glove on, too.