Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Dressmakers dummy.

(12 Posts)
M0nica Thu 20-Feb-20 21:43:43

DD has a sewing book that actually advises how and where to pad a tailors dummy to fit your actual shape, it is considerably more complicated to d than one might at first imagine.

Lilypops Thu 20-Feb-20 20:57:45

I bought one from Amazon in my size but it's not accurate at all, I am a different shape in different parts of my body, I tried padding it out by putting tape over a bra on the dummy but it still wasn't a good fit, save your money and and space and maybe ask a friend to help you pin and fit your garments.
I just use mine as something to hang a project on,,

M0nica Thu 20-Feb-20 20:04:00

DD bought one to match DGD's shape, which will expand as she grows. It makes making clothes for her much easier.

When not in use it stands in the corner of the living room wearing a very pretty dress. In the winter she adds a cardigan.

craftergran Thu 20-Feb-20 17:04:42

www.handimania.com/diy/your-own-shape-sewing-mannequin.html

craftyone Thu 20-Feb-20 16:34:27

A don`t bother from me too. I bought a very good one, must have used it three times then it went under the stairs for 6 years. My figure had changed so I padded it very carefully, still only used it twice after that. I downsized and with regret it went but was not worth the space or the initial buying

ayse Wed 12-Feb-20 19:31:45

Thank you all

threexnanny Wed 12-Feb-20 15:26:24

I've got a basic one from Amazon and am happy with it. The only drawback is where to store it so it doesn't give me a fright when I haven't put the light on!

Doodle Wed 12-Feb-20 14:56:10

My friend bought one because she likes making clothes. She never uses it. More bother than it’s worth apparently.

Susie42 Wed 12-Feb-20 14:53:43

I would say don't bother as it is difficult to find one that will adjust to your shape, and to have one made to measure is extremely expensive.

Mine ended up as something to hang clothes until it fell apart.

PernillaVanilla Wed 12-Feb-20 14:31:04

Get one the size you are, not the size you want to be (my error)!

Ilovecheese Wed 12-Feb-20 14:17:54

Get the best you can afford. The cheaper ones can drive you mad.

ayse Wed 12-Feb-20 14:15:39

I’m thinking of buying one. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments to help me decide?