Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Lurkers' week: calling crafty gransnetters!!

(44 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Mar-20 15:00:27

We’d love to know what creative projects you are in the middle of - or have finished recently. Be it knitting, sewing, art, upcycling… tell us more. Or better still, show us.

For those who haven’t added a photo to the site before, this is how you do it…

1. Click ‘add a comment’
2. Type any text you want to include in the box that says message
3. Click on the ‘choose file’ button (next to the word ‘Images’)
4. Select whichever file you want to upload from your computer
5. Press ‘post message’

(And before you ask where our creations are...let’s just say it’s a pretty poor show at GNHQ. One of us - ok, me blush - had to be cut free from a chair during their only attempt at knitting and that seems to be par for the course round these parts.)

Nannytopsy Wed 08-Apr-20 23:27:50

Mopsx4 I made the same resolution! So far I have knitted 2 snoods and finished a child’s cardigan, made a bag for DGD and finished the repairs on DHs trousers then planted 7 packets of old seeds ( well they may come up!). I am halfway through another cardigan but have been told DGD wants a knitted blanket like her brother has. That will put a stop to using up left overs! Keep it up girls!

Auntieflo Wed 08-Apr-20 22:40:38

I made this Spring wreath to hang in the window, crocheted flowers and then fixed to a small embroidery ring

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 17:59:48

We are being told off on another thread for ordering craft materials so perhaps we shouldn't be encouraged.
Although I do have many UFOs to complete.

So many lovely items on here, well done all of you.

jdga Wed 08-Apr-20 17:10:16

I really enjoyed looking at all yr lovely items!
Mostly I do Christmas scenes for jar lids.
This is a “North Pole reindeer barn” .

aggie Wed 08-Apr-20 16:48:39

I did these for one of my granddaughters

grandMattie Wed 08-Apr-20 16:05:15

My craft group suggested making “something useful” using the colours of daffodils, hyacinths and tulips. This is my effort...

Sandycat Wed 08-Apr-20 15:59:12

Virgin poster here. made and sent this card to my 9 yr old granddaughter.

Witzend Sat 04-Apr-20 10:54:21

Gaunt47, I might well make one of those for a dd - the one who, when we were seeing her often ?, was endlessly saying, ‘Has anyone seen my phone?’
More than once I’ve said I’ll glue it to her head!

Gaunt47 Thu 02-Apr-20 12:29:36

By popular demand, I'm going to be making more little phone bags for ladies using walkers or sticks as they move around their flats/houses.
The strap pops around their neck and their phone is safely in the bag.
We have found that because the needlepoint designs I'm sewing are flowers, and they can chose the design they like, they are more likely to use the phone bag and, we hope, stay safer.

GagaJo Thu 02-Apr-20 12:26:20

Not proper crafting, but am currently cutting down a double duvet cover to make a single cover. The cut offs will be turned into a curtain border, and added to a flat, white sheet for the rest of the curtain.

This is part of a project for my grandsons bedroom, for his birthday in 2 weeks. He’s obsessed with dinosaurs, even talks in his sleep about them!

His mum (an artist) has painted a 4 food dinosaur to be cut out for his door. She also cut out dinosaur card shapes, and I’ve sewn them into bunting. The other bunting is last years, hand-cut and sewn by me, but coordinates with the new bedroom.

Last years bedroom decoration was Hungry Catepillar, with painted leaf, sun and caterpillar, now donated to our local library for the children’s section.

Schnauzer1 Thu 02-Apr-20 12:10:12

Why didn't I look at the Arts and Crafts forum before ??????? There are obviously so many very talented people on here. Love these items you have all been making.

My latest makes are this chair I recovered and a painting to match done on an old canvas from a charity shop. Not an expert at either but I muddle through.

Purplepixie Thu 02-Apr-20 10:49:05

Wow!!!! So many clever people on this wonder site. I love doing crafts with knitting being my favourite. I knit dog blankets for Battersea Cats/Dogs home. At the moment I am making large Patchwork cushion covers and waiting until all of this virus is gone and getting some stuffing from The Range. Also I am making myself a knitted wool jumper for next winter. I have a stash of wool and thought it would be a good idea to get some new jumpers made for me as I always knit for others. I’ll try and send a photo later.

Auntieflo Tue 31-Mar-20 10:17:35

Thought I had posted, but don't know where it went!

Love the cushion cover Nortsat, and your shawl is beautiful GrannyLaine

Here are my latest makes, a Tiger Beanie for GGS, and cushion covers I knitted last year.

MiniMoon Tue 31-Mar-20 09:59:50

I crocheted this summery cardigan recently. I sent it to my sister for her birthday. She loved it.
I might make one for myself in a different colour, I really dont suit yellow.

Witzend Tue 31-Mar-20 09:27:10

What a beautiful shawl, ditto that cushion cover. So many lovely things. I do admire your patience, GrannyLaine! If I’d ever embarked on that, it would have ended up as a UFO (unfinished object) after a lot of very unladylike rude words.

I’m using up some of my vast, multicoloured stash to (very prematurely!) making these. (Very easy.). I think the stash will run to half a dozen, so I dare say some will be going to Gdcs’ little friends eventually.
I’m even thinking of a suitably time-consuming 3rd Nativity set (apologies for unseasonal references!) - the 2nd went down very well at their pre-school/reception but the elder will be at a different site for year one in September - assuming things are back to some sort of normal by then...

Mopsx4 Tue 31-Mar-20 08:56:24

What lovely things you have all been creating. I will try my hand at most crafts but my new year resolution last year and this is to use up my stash of craft materials. I have made cushions for my outside benches - one using jeans my daughter left here- and have just dragged out a quilt I started about 40 years ago that is small hexagons out of scraps it is now about the size of double bed so am going to repurpose an old blanket and sheet for the batting and back- well that is the plan.
My sewing group has been making blankets for the local hospital out of 6 inch squares so easy to use left over wool to crochet or knit them. When we have enough we see it together and crochet a border.
Love seeing the photos will have to take some on my iPad and can then post.
Happy crafting everyone.

Happysexagenarian Tue 31-Mar-20 00:20:50

I'm making a Christmas Village landscape (complete with train) to display my collection of Lilliput Lane buildings accrued over the past 20 years. I used to display them every Christmas but since we moved they've stayed in the loft. So enforced house arrest prompted me to create a better landscape for them. It's fun to do - and very messy!

I'm also about to start making a quilt for our newest grandchild, born last week, just waiting for the fabrics to be delivered.

Also have a couple of upcycling projects in mind, if I have time.

Antonia Fri 13-Mar-20 13:13:04

For a while I made knitting bags, here is one I still have. I loved this fabric!

Yorksherlass Fri 13-Mar-20 11:29:05

Latest production ?

joolzy Fri 13-Mar-20 10:29:03

I'm just learning crochet so my projects have all been small, some hand warmers, a neck warmer, coasters and a bowl. On with a soap bag for my daughter at moment

Farmor15 Thu 12-Mar-20 12:58:45

My first attempt at rag-rugging.

Chewbacca Thu 12-Mar-20 12:55:06

I do card making, scrap booking, knitting and counted cross stitch. These are a couple I did a little while ago.

Tricia247uk Thu 12-Mar-20 12:22:58

That's beautiful Angelwings. You've inspired me to try something similar. The wallpaper is exquisite, where is it from? And what paint did you use?

Nortsat Thu 12-Mar-20 12:11:41

I enjoy counting cross stitch and making cross stitch cushion covers. It only requires low grade concentration and I can chat/listen to music/watch television and keep my hands busy with cross stitch.
(Beautiful shawl GrannieLaine and teddy made me howl ...)

Angelwings Thu 12-Mar-20 10:44:06

I upcycled this bentwood coffee table. It was chucked out in a car park just as I was parking up and was offered to me for free.
Originally it was plain wood with chips out of the edges and colourful scribbling from felt tip pens on the top.
I painted it and covered the top in a wallpaper which I then lacquered, and now it’s back in use.