Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What can I make with this.

(49 Posts)
Teetime Thu 26-Mar-20 10:09:08

I have one ball of DK wool and a pair of needles - any ideas what I can make with it plse?

granfromafar Fri 27-Mar-20 12:53:46

no2dragon - have sent you as pm.

Callistemon Fri 27-Mar-20 12:55:28

no2dragon I think you may be better starting a new thread, as your enquiry could get lost on this thread about crafts.

smile

ShewhomustbeEbayed Fri 27-Mar-20 13:07:43

Prem baby blankets 40 x 50cm, would you get that out of 100g ?

Madmaggie Fri 27-Mar-20 13:09:14

If you have a cat you could make a pom pom to suspend in a doorway for its amusement. Or a teapot cosy or cafetiere cosy. Patterns free online.

Camelotclub Fri 27-Mar-20 13:12:15

How about a mobile phone cover. if grandson sneers tell him Stormzy has one!
www.makeallthethings.co.uk/pattern-knitted-phone-case/

MagicWand Fri 27-Mar-20 13:13:46

Marpau, I had also wondered if the midwives were mentally bracing themselves for 9 or 10 months time! grin

I'm having a go at all the tricky knitting stitches I'd like to be able to master. Just knitting them up into squares and then moving onto the next one once I can do it without the pattern. Keeping my brain alert and a great sense of achievement once I've understood it.

Vintagegirl Fri 27-Mar-20 13:54:59

I have done a few projects to use up odd amounts of wool.
1. Small hats to go on Smoothie bottles sold once a year with amount going to Help the Aged for each one sold.
2. Items for premie babies or 'born too soon'
3. small cuffs to go over IV tubes on babies arms
4. Squares of knitting for a charity in S Africa where they make up into rugs. I ended up keeping the rug I made this way, it was a lot of work and not very professional finish. I sewed up the mismatched 'squares' and lined with a velour rug.

Vintagegirl Fri 27-Mar-20 13:56:02

Also attempted a 'fiddlemuff' for dementia sufferers but still have it... work in progress!

Mogsmaw Fri 27-Mar-20 14:10:59

@Teatime
Join Ravelry, you ask to sign up and they send you a link. There are thousands of groups eager to help and chat and access to thousands of free (and paid) patterns.
Give it a go, I’m sure you will find inspiration.
If you do, don’t forget to friend me, guess what my username is!

Alexa Fri 27-Mar-20 14:14:12

A crocheted snood for someone so fortunate as to have long thick hair.

Farawaynanny Fri 27-Mar-20 14:42:42

If you are on Facebook, search The Warm Baby Project. Knitting for prem baby units with lots of free patterns available. It’s helping to keep me occupied whilst being confined.

justwokeup Fri 27-Mar-20 14:57:27

I remember making a pot holder at school and would still find that useful. As Alexa's suggestion, I'm planning to make a striped snood with my odd bits of wool.

Teetime Fri 27-Mar-20 15:14:06

Thank you for al these suggestion but what I love the most is a hat for after I have cut my own hair. Seriously I shall be looking at the charity projects.

inthewrongroom Fri 27-Mar-20 15:23:29

Hi there
I am NO knitter! but was asked to knit some poppies for a WI Remembrance Day display a couple of years ago (I am not a member of the WI either)! Anyhows I thought why not! It really is easy peasy.
Hopefully I am attaching the pattern for you.
I adapted it to make it smaller and less floppy but, I have to say I was very pleased with the end result. You can obviously do it in any colour and just add a button in the middle.
www.thewi.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/277369/Poppy-Patterns.pdf
Good luck

sylviann Fri 27-Mar-20 15:32:51

You can knit a baby cardigan a bobble hat mittens there are lots of free knitting patterns on the internet

okimherenow Fri 27-Mar-20 15:39:20

Hospitals are still having babies.

And our nearest is appealing for shawls for tiny premature babies 60cm square.

Knock one out in an evening

Post a brown paper parcel to your nearest prem unit..

Auntieflo Fri 27-Mar-20 15:55:27

I did knit, with my bits and pieces, several cuffs for babies IV's, but since all this business blew up, I wasn't sure if the hospitals would take them. So have kept them all sealed up until later.

paulinecnd Fri 27-Mar-20 16:40:27

@no2dragon

We are booked self catering for May. I said to husband, you haven’t paid the final balance yet, have you ?yes, I have just paid it, he said. Because if I hadn’t paid it I wouldn’t be able to claim it back on cancellation policy. At which point I despaired of any logical conversation and the cancellation policy doesn’t cover pandemics as I thought. I contacted the company and hopefully asked for a refund of money paid No, they said, which I expected. So I have transferred the booking to May 2021

Flytothestars Fri 27-Mar-20 17:14:03

Knitted Knockers - very worthwhile: www.knittedknockers.org

rosenoir Fri 27-Mar-20 17:14:47

Davida1968 Fri 27-Mar-20 17:28:44

Oh rosenoir, that has just made me and Mr 1968 laugh out loud! Thank you!

Lioness68 Fri 27-Mar-20 17:34:25

I knit the little hats for Innocent smoothie bottles. I did over a hundred last year and have just started again this year. One of my FB friends works for Age UK, she looks after service veterans of which I am one as is my husband. Just Google "The Big Knit". There are hundreds of ideas on there.

Kim19 Fri 27-Mar-20 18:21:59

Start as a skull cap and keep going until the wool finishes.