Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting novice needs help please :- Part 2

(35 Posts)
NotAGran55 Fri 03-Apr-20 12:22:21

Thanks again for the help on my earlier thread .... my stuff has arrived and I think I have messed up ?

I was going to start by making a cushion cover in Super Chunky yarn with size 10 needles .

The cover measures 41cm x 41cm and my needles are 30cm smile
This isn’t going to work is it ?

Help !

Doodledog Tue 14-Apr-20 16:25:49

Newbie knitters might think about ordering things like sewing up needles and other 'notions' (bits and pieces grin) to make up the minimum order to get free postage with online orders. They get expensive otherwise.

Also, when this lockdown is over, it is worth asking in charity shops if they have a knitting box. Some of them are not allowed to keep sharp items on display, so keep them in a box at the back of the shop. As nobody who is not 'in the know' about this ever gets to see the box, you'd be amazed at what you can pick up for next to nothing.

It is worth getting things even when you might not need them immediately. It is so annoying to have almost finished a project but be unable to make progress because of lack of a bit of equipment you didn't know you needed!

Kalu Tue 14-Apr-20 15:49:18

My knitting project increases to 181 sts. at one point. I noticed on YouTube, examples of using circular needles, sent off for a pair and what a difference with no more bunching up on straight needles.

Good stuff NotaGran I always have knitting and crochet on the go which I find is great therapy just to enjoy at leisure.

Callistemon Tue 14-Apr-20 14:54:55

Someone I know was knitting hats for premmie babies at RUH, Bath.

The hats were all in white but needed different coloured bobbles, red, orange and green. A 'traffic light' system to denote the level of care required, red obviously denoting those babies in need of most care.

I think other hospitals use this as well.

grannysanny Tue 14-Apr-20 14:43:00

Try youtube for instructions on how to cast on and off, excellent for learning

NotAGran55 Sun 12-Apr-20 07:48:54

Mary

I read somewhere, can’t remember where, that some hospitals use a red/ orange/green hat system .

Might be worth a google ?

mary51 Sun 12-Apr-20 07:42:42

I've made three of those prem hats this week and thought the same . Heart breakingly small. No more pale colours left only reds. Would these be suitable?

NotAGran55 Sun 12-Apr-20 07:09:33

Update .

Sewing needles arrived at last ( thank you Mr Postie )

A few mistakes in the rib with my prototype baby bonnet and I need to improve on sewing - up to get rid of the nasty ridge inside , but overall I’m quite pleased ?.

Very very shocked at how tiny it is though .

Callistemon Tue 07-Apr-20 19:10:36

They should be fine, the stitches will be a bit bunched up at the start and end of each row.
For super chunky a 10mm needle is just OK, not a size 10.

I see I am a bit late with advice though, as you are well on the way. 10mm will give you a tighter finish which is what you need for a cushion.

Shirley Wools is a good firm to use too I think they are in Southampton but online too.

NotAGran55 Tue 07-Apr-20 18:52:13

Thank you for the recommendations ladies .

Had a quick look .

Wilco won’t deliver online - the same as JL , presumably ‘ dangerous’ item ?
Wool Warehouse delivery is 2 weeks at the moment
Laughing Hens have a pack of 25 ! , £10 including delivery . I only was one smile

I’m hoping the ones I have ordered ( twice ) will turn up ....

curvygran Tue 07-Apr-20 18:25:31

I agree with craftyGranny, wool warehouse excellent , also laughing hens .

mary51 Tue 07-Apr-20 13:56:42

I saw the large eye wool needles im Wilko half an hour after finding them in JL last month. So your local Wilko may have them!

CraftyGranny Tue 07-Apr-20 13:47:57

I like to order from Wool Warehouse, they have everything for knitting, crochet, sewing, cross-stitch etc. They have lots of different brands too. Give them a try....

Witzend Tue 07-Apr-20 13:44:53

If you google ‘darning needles’ OP, there are several suppliers coming up.

Sussexborn Tue 07-Apr-20 13:39:51

Covers for intravenous needles are also needed for babies in incubator. Has to be specific non fluffy wool though.

NotAGran55 Tue 07-Apr-20 13:29:31

Thank you Schnauzer1 smile

I now have a technical hitch - I don’t have anything to sew my creations with !

I never thought about that at the beginning when I bought my yarn and needles , an eBay order for 2 wool sewing needles has gone astray and JL don’t sell them on -line !? . ( I was going to add some to a larger supplies order .

Fingers crossed ? my second eBay order arrives sometime..

Schnauzer1 Mon 06-Apr-20 12:44:11

Looks good. Lovely even knitting.

NotAGran55 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:33:06

Thank you ?. Next is going to be bonnets for premature babies . Something useful , charitable and hopefully quick ! I don’t have a huge amount of patience...

curvygran Sun 05-Apr-20 14:07:54

Looking good ! Thanks for the photo, a blanket next maybe?

NotAGran55 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:57:36

Pic didn’t attach

NotAGran55 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:56:11

Hi Curveygran .

Well, I followed the pattern casting on 33 stitches and I knew immediately that it wasn’t going to be the 41cm that it was supposed to be ! I think the tension is quite loose .
It’s working out as 36cm so I have ordered 2 new cushion pads that will fit.
I’m really enjoying it , particularly as it grows fast smile

curvygran Sat 04-Apr-20 17:40:41

NotAGran, how are you getting on ? I look forward to seeing the finished article!

curvygran Fri 03-Apr-20 21:10:20

There are really great knitting tutorials on YouTube .

Schnauzer1 Fri 03-Apr-20 14:45:40

Go for it @notagran55. 10mm needles are ok for super chunky and as said before just bunch it up. As you are a novice it would help to do a tension square first, that will let you practice on fewer stitches and check whether your knitting is going to come out the right size. Your pattern should suggest that. Post a pic when you finish. Tomorrow ??? ?

curvygran Fri 03-Apr-20 14:42:47

That’s absolutely right . You’ll find UK 000 quite big !

NotAGran55 Fri 03-Apr-20 14:01:56

NonnaW they are mini telegraph poles smile

Sarahmob Thankyou , I think I will give it a go ... just need to learn how to cast on first !
I can always abandon it and start with something else if it’s not working out.

Curveygran I had no idea it was so complicated. As I child all I remember was one number size . My pattern says 10mm UK000. USA15 .