Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Making face masks.

(57 Posts)
Witzend Wed 08-Apr-20 10:50:35

I’m not at all sure how effective homemade ones are - better than nothing I suppose - but dh so clearly wanted one that yesterday I found a pattern online, on the crafty quilter website, and made him one out of 2 layers of an old pillow case - very high thread count satin cotton.
It didn’t take long at all, and luckily I had thin elastic for the bits to go round lugholes.

After asking dds and their blokes whether they’d like any, I now have 4 more to make - 5 if I do one for me, too.

I’d been pleased with myself for using up out-of-date gluten free flour and yellow split peas - never thought I’d be using up old pillowcases too!

shysal Tue 29-Sep-20 16:21:15

I have made dozens of pleated masks in Liberty print and plain fabrics, suitable for males and females. I have offered them free with a charity donation, I made them to suit my own preferences, i.e. 3 layers with nose wire, plenty of depth to fit well under the chin and soft elastic. I had a rest for a while but am now starting a few Christmas ones, with more different fabrics on order.
A lot of the recipients have come back for more, so I think I have hit on a good design for most.

Just a warning about using vacuum cleaner Hepa filters - I have read that they can have harmful fibreglass particles.

boodymum67 Sun 01-Nov-20 14:10:46

During the first lockdown, I stayed home for 9 weeks and made around 60 fabric masks.

I gave them all away to family, friends, hospices and local hospital.

Just made 3 today....looks like more will be needed...although the disposable ones seem to be everywhere.

Stansgran Sun 01-Nov-20 14:20:43

I’ve made some from men’s handkerchiefs with long tapes to tie when ears get sore. Cotton is very fine close weave so should be ok.

Callistemon Sun 01-Nov-20 14:30:45

Ours need 3 layers here and a fine interlining is recommended for one layer.
They can get rather hot.

PamelaJ1 Sun 01-Nov-20 16:31:48

We discovered that the Mack I made for DH matched the furnishings t the hotel we stayed in

ginny Sun 01-Nov-20 16:41:17

I’ve made lots like this, Inptefer the shaped ones. Now making them in Christmas fabrics.