Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Great British Sewing Bee!

(71 Posts)
H1954 Wed 22-Apr-20 16:23:14

Yay! Back on the TV tonight! 9pm on BBC 1!

Calendargirl Sat 13-Jun-20 19:13:44

I’d like to see Claire win.

DanniRae Sat 13-Jun-20 16:05:41

I also loved Nicole's skirt - such beautiful colours!

Callistemon Fri 12-Jun-20 20:08:30

I've enough for two tops but no confidence in my sewing skills any more to make tops, dresses etc.
I have made five masks.

Nandalot Fri 12-Jun-20 20:07:12

Callistemon, it is my understanding that in the made to measure the contestant would be responsible for either the purchasing or ordering of the materials. However, I did think Nicole’s skirt was spectacular.

etheltbags1 Fri 12-Jun-20 19:59:41

I love this programme , always watch it. I've dragged my sewing machine out and a bag of material, I'm going to make some more face masks the n see if I've enough for a dress.

Callistemon Fri 12-Jun-20 19:41:49

Yes, it was spectacular!
And it was not her fault that the braiding did not quite match as they should have been prepared and provided sufficient trimmings.

I have her down as the winner.

Millie22 Fri 12-Jun-20 19:29:27

Did anyone see this week's programme and Nicole's flamenco skirt. I think she may win.

Calendargirl Thu 28-May-20 11:08:17

Thought Therese might be the one to go this week.

JessK Thu 28-May-20 10:17:23

Agree it was a good show this week. Loved the old jumpers challenge. Some of the finished garments were really good. I'm feeling like having a rummage in my wardrobe and having a go.

DanniRae Thu 28-May-20 08:48:11

I really enjoyed this weeks show except for the storage bag challenge.
I loved seeing all the recycled knitwear dresses - I thought the one that Esme liked best was amazing - The one that Patrick preferred was, I felt, very well made but I didn't like it.

Callistemon Wed 27-May-20 22:29:55

I liked Nicole's jumper dress, it looked easy to wear too.

Chewbacca Wed 27-May-20 22:24:56

My favourite was the beautifully styled dress that Claire made. The bomber jackets were a disaster!

BlueBelle Wed 27-May-20 22:23:05

I loved the two winning recycled. Jumper dresses both were worthy winners
I think Joe Lycete (not familiar with him before this) is a waste of space I can’t see why he or any third person is needed Not him in particular just the role

threexnanny Wed 27-May-20 22:17:23

I thought the storage bag challenge was ridiculous. As has been said it's just a waste of good bags. Also thought there was a lot of waste from perfectly good jumpers although I did like some of the finished dresses.

Callistemon Wed 27-May-20 22:13:41

I could do with some of those bags to store my winter clothes, including jumpers!

ninathenana Wed 27-May-20 22:09:39

I thought some used a bizarre combination of fabrics for the bomber jackets. I did like the recycled jumpers, very clever.
As for the bags.......words fail me.

annodomini Wed 27-May-20 22:02:01

They might as well have been given bin bags. Nobody could possibly wear those bag transformations. There were some good ideas on the recycled knitwear, though I can't see myself cutting up and re-imagining a couple of cardies that the moths managed to get to.

Callistemon Wed 27-May-20 21:30:13

They are taking it all very seriously!

No-one has started giggling.
DH, however, is snorting with laughter.

Callistemon Wed 27-May-20 21:28:03

I've seen some daft things on the Swwing Bee, as well as some good ones, but tonight's transformation of large zip storage bags into garments really is beyond parody!

Why would anyone cut up a perfectly serviceable zipped storage bag with handles into a garment?
Why would anyone make a wedding dress out of them?

Potty.

LondonMzFitz Mon 11-May-20 16:56:15

It's a lovely bit of evening viewing, those fabrics they source are so beautiful! I'm loving the 1940's influenced Doctor, like her style a lot. And Joe Lycett is fun.

It's filmed just a few steps from my office in Bermondsey Street, I keep looking at the exterior shots in case I see one of my colleagues.

Millie22 Mon 11-May-20 16:29:32

I quite like Esme and remember there was something about a motorbike. The sleeping bag challenge was a bit silly though better left as a sleeping bag.

DanniRae Mon 11-May-20 16:15:34

I seem to remember Esme being on "Would I lie to you?" and her story was something to do with years ago being on the back of a motor bike minus her underwear! (Sorry Esme if I have got this wrong!!)
And it was TRUE grin

Purplepixie Mon 11-May-20 09:39:57

I just love and Esme is great. X

Calendargirl Sat 09-May-20 18:48:06

I think Esme is good, I prefer her to the former lady judge.

SuzannahM Sat 09-May-20 18:24:40

Nina - I think of him as a presenter really, mildly funny but I can't say he really makes me laugh. He seems a nice young man and as I say he seems to be good with the contestants.

I have no idea who he is though - he may be a well known comedian but I only know him from this programme and he has never interested me enough to look him up grin