Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Stuck Zip

(14 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Mon 29-Jun-20 18:49:28

My default setting is to shove things in the freezer overnight and try again when they have thawed out next day.

I don't know if it will work, but it is easier than unpicking it!

Puzzled Sat 23-May-20 15:51:05

Have you tried turning it inside out to see if a little of the fabric is caught in the teeth of the zip?
Sometimes, possibly with the aid of a needle or something small but blunt, it is possible to work the fabric out, one tooth at a time.
How do I know?
I have a coat, which I wear almost all the time, and the inner wind flap gets into the zip, unless the zip is pulled outwards as it is pulled up.
Whatever you do, DON'T force it!
HTH

Lolo81 Wed 20-May-20 23:24:55

Silver linings and all that wink

Luckygirl Wed 20-May-20 22:36:39

.....haven't......

Luckygirl Wed 20-May-20 22:36:16

But you haven's been bored! grin

Lolo81 Wed 20-May-20 22:24:33

He was wearing it for about an hour before we managed to get him out of it - there was a lot of giggling and grumping and groaning - I dread to think what the neighbours heard lol blush. Brute force has got me nowhere! I’ve tried fairy to no avail. Will try a few more remedies tomorrow and if all else fails I think I might have to unpick the stitching and replace the zip. It’s been one heck of a day! Thanks again folks

Grannynannywanny Wed 20-May-20 21:07:11

Is it possible to pull it upwards just a fraction more and it might just get it to bite?

If all else has failed to get a start on it I would now go for the tried and tested brute force method.

Missfoodlove Wed 20-May-20 20:58:00

Is he wearing it?
If so it’s been hot today, poor thing.

EllanVannin Wed 20-May-20 20:43:04

Run a lead pencil up and down the zip.

Lolo81 Wed 20-May-20 20:37:57

None of the fabric is stuck and the teeth of the zip seem to be aligned so it hasn’t gone off the track. It’s baffling! And was a production trying to get him out of the bloody thing without causing him any physical harm grin. Thanks for the suggestions I will finish my cuppa and have another go at it.

Kate54 Wed 20-May-20 20:37:07

Hope the poor man’s not still
in it by the way....

Redhead56 Wed 20-May-20 20:34:44

WD 40 tiny amount using the red straw attachment or graphite powder.

Kate54 Wed 20-May-20 20:31:30

Is any of the coat’s fabric caught in it, either inside or out? If so, you should be able to pull it free little by little.
Failing that - candle wax? Little bit of washing up liquid? Soap?
Good luck!

Lolo81 Wed 20-May-20 20:26:38

My DH has managed to get the zip stuck tight on his coat and I cannot get it to budge an inch. The zip is fully closed. Any suggestions to try and wiggle it free? If I didn’t know any better I’d swear it was superglued. All suggestions gratefully received, Thanks