Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Stash. Own up if you have any stash of any sort

(112 Posts)
craftyone Sat 06-Jun-20 11:57:08

I have stash and it is one of my life pleasures to add to my stash.

Callistemon Wed 17-Jun-20 16:05:24

Well done!

Revolucion Wed 17-Jun-20 15:44:01

I’ve arranged for the trendy royal Albert tea sets of China to go to an animal rescue charity!
Destash points to me! I’m thrilled because they are going to come and collect it tomorrow which is so convenient.

Lexisgranny Wed 17-Jun-20 15:17:20

Sorry thought first post hadn’t gone through

Lexisgranny Wed 17-Jun-20 15:16:43

I have piles of interesting notebooks and plenty of decorative boxes - I do love a nice box

TrendyNannie6 Wed 17-Jun-20 15:15:25

Oh yes I’ve lots of stash’s mainly books, which I read and re read, although I have then neatly away in bookcases can’t bear to part with them

Lexisgranny Wed 17-Jun-20 15:15:02

I have pretty notebooks and decorative boxes made of all sorts of material - I love a box!

Ashtree30 Wed 17-Jun-20 15:12:47

Anything creative is very interesting and wonderful to look back at as the years go bye

Callistemon Wed 17-Jun-20 14:55:06

Yes, mismatched is the fashion.
An eclectic collection is the posh term, I think!

Witzend Wed 17-Jun-20 14:13:11

Re collecting china, a wedding we attended last summer served afternoon tea after the ceremony - all in pretty, mismatched china from charity shops - the simple garden flowers were in teapots on the tables.
It was beautifully done, the tables looked lovely.
(There were bottles of wine on the tables too!)

Callistemon Wed 17-Jun-20 10:21:34

Some younger people are collecting vintage china, Revolucion.
Weddings are off at the moment but I now of at least two brides last year who were collecting it to use at the reception.
Tea shops?

Callistemon Wed 17-Jun-20 10:18:50

NanaandGrampy the problem with needing just one more ball of yarn during lockdown is that you can't just pop to the shops, you have to order online.
To save postage you have to order a minimum amount and then there are special offers...
And so the stash grows

Revolucion Wed 17-Jun-20 08:18:34

I am getting rid of my vintage China stash and my needle felting stash. Anyone in Cambridge who wants them? Still have a huge paper crafts and art stash and vintage nature books stash, smaller stashes of wool and fabric and a new lockdown macrame stash.

craftyone Sun 14-Jun-20 18:08:10

wooden cotton reels. Those were the days when we had 4 nails hammered in and got wool and a thick needle and did all that french knitting. We all did it, all the girls came to school with it and we would do it during our breaks

I love reading about the different stashes, now I don`t feel so guilty grin

making wine is crafting. Does anyone make wine? I used to and offloaded the whole massive stash onto son in law before I moved. I did tell him he could sell the stash, so I did not feel guilty offloading

NanaandGrampy Sun 14-Jun-20 17:28:45

I never thought of it as a stash but I do have a crafting cabin !

In the house is my wool stash which I try to use up often but there’s always a colour I need that I haven’t got !

In my cabin I’ve got vinyl both self adhesive and htv. I’ve got bags, t shirts, pot holders, cushion covers ready to work on .
I’ve got shelves of beads , stickers , embellishments for card making . Racks of paper and card like a little rainbow .

Add that to a die cutting machine, heat press and new sewing machine .

My newest addition to the crafting stash is fat quarters for face coverings for the family, grandchildren and friends .

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 14-Jun-20 16:45:31

Well, I was quite smug because I’ve been using my fabric stash, then I remembered that I have 5 sewing machines, about a hundred wooden cotton reels with the cottons still on, 3 crates of craft stuff paper, lace, used stamps and broken jewellery ready to be used.
Then I looked up at the bookcase and saw about 100 old ladybird books, upstairs I have about 40 jigsaws and in the garage on shelves about 30 crates of vintage crockery.
I’m going to stop thinking about it now.

craftyone Sun 14-Jun-20 14:53:45

loopyloo, making jam, bottling and pickles are such important crafts, saving bounty and saving money. I made 5 500g jars of bottled gooseberries the other week and the rest are almost big enough after the rain. I also have a big stash of jars for preserving fruit (and tomatoes later). I blame my mother, she used to save string and iron wrapping paper, in the lean times after the war was over

loopyloo Sun 14-Jun-20 12:15:50

A stash of jam jars with lids for all the jam I am going to make with fruit from the allotment. And there are cardboard boxes full of jars in the shed.....

Maggiemaybe Sun 14-Jun-20 11:18:11

Tapestry wools, embroidery thread and canvas, fabric remnants, fat quarters, buttons, beads, embellishments, reels of cotton, scrapbooks and scraps, calligraphy pens and paper, watercolour paints and sketch books. All undisturbed for quite some time (the paints not even opened). Knitting wool, but I am at least using that now for making preemie baby clothes while I watch TV.

It all pales into insignificance when compared to the stash of lightly used fitness gear - stepper, hula hoop, rebounder, yoga mat, weights, Zumba shakers, balance ball, and the shoes for hiking, running, Zumba, ballroom etc, etc, that all gather dust in our cellar.

I’m a bit of a hobby tart butterfly.

craftyone Sun 14-Jun-20 10:17:06

I was going to throw some pretty lawn out last, leftover from making a quick cover for my dressform, I got as far as the bin and turned around, thinking pockets. Then today I ordered a pattern with pockets, must have been serendipity smile

Callistemon Sat 13-Jun-20 10:20:29

I tidied up my fabric stash in about January and wish I hadn't because some of the larger scraps of fabric (given to DH for rags) would have been large enough to make face masks.

As soon as you get rid of something you need it

AllotmentLil Fri 12-Jun-20 23:27:35

Fabric, knitting yarn, embroidery thread, Aida, tapestry wool, felting stuff, quilting rulers, scissors, unpickers (!), needles (every sort), paper, card, beads, buttons, ribbon, vintage linen tablecloths, sea glass, more fabric, more yarn ...
My lockdown activity, as well as doing the actual crafts, has been to organise it all - so satisfying to be able to find everything I need!

Coolgran65 Fri 12-Jun-20 08:14:36

I have a stash of some of my Medications in case one of them isn’t available.

craftyone Fri 12-Jun-20 07:59:44

ahh, travelsafar smile

I have finger joint ache this morning, from cutting out 4 layers of thick woven upholstery fabric at once. The scissors were just right, very heavy tailoring scissors by wrights. All my scissors are hanging on a pegboard in my sewing room ( was a bedroom} I have a stash of scissors, 15 pairs kept only for fabric. All sorts including curved scissors. I also have 3 roller cutters and 3 cutting boards, two of which can clip together to make a board long enough to cut a dress piece. Pattern weights galore, many home made like this and filled with dry sand
www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=home+made+pattern+weights#kpvalbx=_4ybjXp6NL-WK1fAPrZGRiA429

I have a big stash of sewing needles, I remember getting them from america and even so they were very much cheaper. Schmetz for all sorts of different fabrics.

lovebeigecardigan, I did the MK deed with my mugs and dishes a few months ago, then I discovered denby and am now building up a denby stash. Tactile and lovely, they will never go. I need to ignore the denby sales e mails grin

Anyway stash is a good method of saving, everything I have would be way more expensive nowadays

BlackGrannie Thu 11-Jun-20 19:18:18

You got me there, huge fabric stash, I am of the firm opinion that fabric buying and sewing are two separate hobbies! I also have a fair amount of colouring books and pencils...oops forgot to mention the button collection

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 11-Jun-20 13:21:24

I admit to a stash of fabrics as I love patchwork, dressmaking and sewing in general. I've also a small case of those embroidery transfers which are considered old-fashioned, but I don't care - I think they're lovely.

When I've finished one of my projects I'm going to sew one of those 'crinoline ladies' for a bag front.

Oh heck, in my kitchen I've got a stash of mugs, cups and saucers - I don't really need 20 plus, do I? They give me 'joy' as Marie Kondo says - so I won't be thinning them out anytime soon.