Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Simple craft ideas wanted

(16 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Tue 13-Oct-20 01:46:48

Hobbycraft and similar, have lots of suitable little kits. You have little to lose and plenty of time if things do go wrong along the way.
Just choose something you fancy!
Good luck!

GogoTJ Mon 12-Oct-20 23:07:58

I'm about to start needle felting, I want to make little animals. Always wanted to try.

Missfoodlove Thu 18-Jun-20 23:48:33

I am not particularly crafty but bought a £100 sewing machine from Hobby Craft and got 4 free 1 hour lessons thrown in.
I’m well away now and love to get my machine out for simple things such as cushion covers, dribble bibs etc.

Claretjan Thu 18-Jun-20 21:29:44

Thanks. Washi tape (I had to Google it!) looks fun

Schnauzer1 Thu 18-Jun-20 19:31:23

I did this baby picture for my S & DIL and the elephant card that they are going to frame. Both easy, lots more similar on pinterest and you could add the name and d of b.

shysal Wed 17-Jun-20 16:53:57

Washi tape is available in numerous patterns, from Hobbycraft or Ebay etc. It would be easy to make a picture to be framed, using a silhouette shape from a Google image search. Lots of easy ideas on Youtube or Pinterest.

Claretjan Wed 17-Jun-20 10:47:18

Thank you for all your suggestions. Some interesting ideas and I'll have a look on Pinterest too.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 16-Jun-20 14:44:54

Lots of easy craft makes on Pinterest site

Kalu Tue 16-Jun-20 14:37:54

A simple one I have done is a large first letter of baby’s name with DOB underneath placed in whatever size frame you decide.

Namsnanny Tue 16-Jun-20 14:15:42

Sounds like a good idea trisher, I might watch yt recommendation, and maybe make one, even though I haven't anyone to give it too atm! smile

trisher Tue 16-Jun-20 14:10:31

You could make a mobile, loads of instructions on You tube. They only involve cutting and sticking Try this one www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibD8xR_8ZWc

Claretjan Tue 16-Jun-20 13:11:45

Thank you Namsnanny - that sounds like it would be within my capabilities!

Namsnanny Tue 16-Jun-20 12:45:07

Also put the date of birth on keepsake.

Namsnanny Tue 16-Jun-20 12:43:31

Hearts are a good shape if animals dont suit

Namsnanny Tue 16-Jun-20 12:42:34

Claretjan ...welcome! Hiw about papercraft?
A frame with an appropriate animal shape cut out, in an appropriate colour, stuck on a contrasting background.
Then write witha good silver, gold or appropriate colour pen, the name of child?

Or buy a paper mache animal from HCraft. Paint how ever you wish then put name on as above?

Love to hear what you decide to do.
Congrats BTW

Claretjan Tue 16-Jun-20 12:32:30

Hello I am new to gransnet. My daughter is expecting her first baby in August and I would love to be able to make a small keepsake. Unfortunately I don't knit or sew- I'm all fingers and thumbs! I can draw fairly simple things. I know I'm not giving you much to go on but can anyone suggest something I could make? Just something small and personal. I'm so envious of crafty people and love looking in shops such as Hobbycraft but lack the confidence to try things. Any suggestions welcome.