Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

How many projects have you got on the go?

(76 Posts)
Witzend Sun 05-Jul-20 15:47:07

I’ve hardly ever had more than one thing at a time on the go, so I don’t know whether it’s the lockdown factor, but I’ve now got 4 in various stages - get a bit bored with one, get on with another. And another couple waiting to be started once one of the current lot is finished.

I dare say some of you will have a lot more than that!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 14-Jul-20 17:20:31

That's very clever, BeeWitch, I'm sure she'll love it. It looks so cosy.

Puzzler61 Wed 15-Jul-20 15:26:38

Do you all find when you get engrossed in doing one of your crafts time speeds by?
I tend to put off visiting the loo, making a drink, or as you say lovebeige - stretching. Doing desk work I was always told to get up and move about every hour to avoid back, shoulder, wrist and hand problems.
I need someone to remind me of that sometimes now.

The mermaid’s tail blanket is a lovely, jolly blanket BeeWitch with all the ‘nautical’ shades of blue ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 15-Jul-20 17:13:30

To answer your earlier question, Puzzler I'm hoping that the MND Association would like it to raffle to raise funds at one of their events but that won't be for a while as this year has been lost to Covid, which goes for many of us.

Puzzler61 Wed 15-Jul-20 17:18:42

I’d think they will be delighted that you want to gift it to them to raise funds lovebeige. ?
All charities are suffering from the cessation of fundraising events this year and we know how much they rely on them to keep going.

Witzend Wed 15-Jul-20 19:10:27

That mermaid blanket is brilliant! Is it going to be a birthday or C-word present?

Yes, @Puzzler61, I do tend to think, just x more rows, etc., so by the time I finally run to the loo I’m bursting. Also I’ll often have a cup of tea nearby when I start, take one mouthful and promptly forget about the rest.

AllotmentLil Thu 16-Jul-20 22:36:52

2 quilts
1 cross stitch
1 pair of socks
1 Father C****** (blame Witzend!)
1 wet felting “project” (ie don’t know what it will be yet!)
1 tote bag

EilaRose Fri 17-Jul-20 04:14:47

I only ever have one project going at a time, then when that one is finished I service whichever sewing machine was used then clean and tidy the sewing room. It's only a small room so must be kept neat and tidy.

Covid sewing has seen a whole new wardrobe, although the planned socks haven't been started yet but are near the top of the list. Jackets, jeans, bras, tunic tops, quilted jacket and a couple of handbags are just some and next week think I will make another pair of jeans...can never have too many jeans!!

Not sure when I'll get to an antique armchair that needs re-covering, the fabric and everything is ready but it gets pushed down the long list for something 'more important'.

;-))

vegansrock Fri 17-Jul-20 05:06:49

2 sets of scrubs and 20 masks for charity, 2 summer dresses started last year and still in the cupboard, loads of scraps for quilts...it never ends

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 17-Jul-20 08:42:23

You're very disciplined EilaRose, I've usually got at least three on the go, that's the amount I'm admitting to out loud, anyway.

Puzzler61 Fri 17-Jul-20 09:16:36

Eila your list of finished items is astonishing!
Is there anything you don’t make? You are practically self-sufficient in the wardrobe department.
Did you learn your skills when a child or is it something you came upon later in your life?
Where do you get all the fabrics from? Do you have a local supplier?
We had a lovely shop in Malvern but it closed down. More and more I depend on the internet ☹️

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 02-Aug-20 10:43:58

I will try to add my crinoline lady panel. I'm hoping to incorporate it into a bag.

DanniRae Sun 02-Aug-20 10:53:50

I have only two.
1. A multi coloured scarf for a homeless person then when I tire of that -
2. Hats for premature babies

Have done about twenty hats but not sure if I can take them into the hospital yet?

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 02-Aug-20 11:10:12

Hate to think how many I have on the go. About 45 years ago I started making patchwork quilts for my DDs - they are not quite finished!!! This Lockdown has made me think of my mortality (I'm not ready to go anywhere yet!) I have started sorting the thousands of photos in the attic, to give to my DDs if appropriate (got to wait for cooler weather, attic stifling hot just now). Have been making face masks, using play pipe cleaners for fitting over the nose. Yesterday made a pocket hanger for DH to keep pruners in hanging on the shed door. Then I have some painting to do. DGS as a toddler walked over one of my oil paintings and knocked some paint off it - that's waiting for me to patch up. (I normally use acrylics these days so don't know what state my oils will be in). Hoping to join a watercolour zoom class this week - should be interesting, I'm hopeless with watercolours! Trying to sort out my laptop is another project. Is that enough to be going on with?

Witzend Sun 02-Aug-20 11:44:17

That’s lovely, @lovebeigecardigans - is it your own design?

Stansgran Sun 02-Aug-20 11:53:56

I'm trying to use up all my scraps and as we have moths ,or so my husband says in his wardrobe,I'm making lavender bags. I've made a couple of baby quilts as I think there will be a baby boom post pandemic and some cushion covers and tote bags from scraps. I still have scraps , I've got a quilt to finish that I started some years ago from some kimono lengths that my husband got me in japan. I was interrupted by life in general so I'm getting it out again.k

Stansgran Sun 02-Aug-20 11:56:21

Lavender bags

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 02-Aug-20 11:56:54

Look up 'Harrogate & Nidderdale Art Club', click on
'Spring 2020 Online Gallery'. You'll find 4 of my paintings quite near the end (look for red poppy and red toadstools)

timetogo2016 Sun 02-Aug-20 12:02:08

None whatsoever.

grannysyb Sun 02-Aug-20 12:27:13

I finished re covering my sofa, and am now making a pair of trousers. Went back to my sewing teacher last week thank goodness, after I've finished these I have another two pairs to make, one of which is a UFO!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 03-Aug-20 09:16:56

No, I didn't design it Witzend it's an embroidery transfer - I inherited quite a few and some were given to me by a friend who is decluttering. I like the effect of French Knots but I swear while I'm sewing them as it's a nuisance if they decide to tangle themselves up. I think I must be a bit of a masochist.
Hope your lovely lavender bags work Stansgran.
It sounds like we creative types are transforming our homes during lockdown Grannysyb, a sofa cover is ambitious but it keeps us out of mischief.

henetha Mon 03-Aug-20 09:26:14

I've taken up painting again and am half way through one.
I've been experimenting with Aboriginal dot painting.
And I'm trying to write more poetry.
Also still trying to tidy my paperwork which is disgusting
as I was a secretary all my working life and should know better!
And now I 'm making Covid masks.

Puzzler61 Mon 03-Aug-20 09:32:18

grannysb Please explain connection between ? and a ?
I’m intrigue!
Or is it spellchecker doing its worst again?

Henetha your dot painting sounds wonderful - when you finish one could you post a photo of it? Love to see it.

Puzzler61 Mon 03-Aug-20 09:33:52

By the way the only new project here is a jigsaw puzzle which is a comedic picture of pleasure boats with gaily dressed people in hats and things visible through all the portholes. It’s a fun one.

Witzend Mon 03-Aug-20 09:56:56

I recently found a load of leftover material from our bedroom curtains (made maybe 10 years ago - you can tell how often I clear out cupboards!) - and have no idea what to do with it. There’s quite a lot - I think I bought extra thinking I might make a covered headboard for our bed to match, but that’s never going to happen - a project too far for me now.

It’s no use for cushions downstairs - colours just don’t go, and I’m not a fan of cushions on beds, or decorative throws - anything you just have to chuck off at night.

I did make a knitting needle roll, see pic, early in lockdown, but that was from a much smaller piece, and in any case none of my friends or relatives knit! Either can’t or don’t want to, or fingers too stiff now.

Maybe a charity shop would be best, at least someone might be able to use it, but I wish I could think of something. In the past I’ve made those long tube things for plastic shopping bags but they’re more or less defunct now.
Any ideas, O wise crafty ones?

Rosalyn69 Mon 03-Aug-20 10:51:13

Three crochet blankets.
I must start the DIL’s Christmas blanket soon. Last Christmas I ran out of time. ?