Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

How many projects have you got on the go?

(75 Posts)
Witzend Sun 05-Jul-20 15:47:07

I’ve hardly ever had more than one thing at a time on the go, so I don’t know whether it’s the lockdown factor, but I’ve now got 4 in various stages - get a bit bored with one, get on with another. And another couple waiting to be started once one of the current lot is finished.

I dare say some of you will have a lot more than that!

Rosalyn69 Sun 05-Jul-20 17:09:04

4? Wow. Just two for me but materials for a third. I get bored easily.

Mrst1405 Sun 05-Jul-20 18:16:24

I usually have an easy and a hard knitting project and a couple of papercraft, cards or whatever on the go as well. I'm constantly looking in magazines and on Ravelry though!

Hetty58 Sun 05-Jul-20 18:29:43

How many? I'd say about ten at present. I'll flip from one to another, according to mood or the weather:

Half decorated room waiting for wallpaper on one wall.
Recycling of roof tiles as path in garden, all planned, materials there (waiting on weather)

Cleaning and lining of cupboards/drawers in kitchen - ongoing, bit by bit (too hated to do all at once)

Kitchen door to rehang (higher, as new floor, so frame alterations - bit daunting)

Filling after rewire - two more rooms to go

One door upstairs on trestles, waiting to be sanded and painted (since Christmas, when I bought new circular sander)

Window frame to adjust and finish so curtains can go up (must be at least two years since I had them made).

etc.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 05-Jul-20 19:19:54

Um, a few. 1: I've a hexagon patchwork quilt which I'm bored with but am determined to finish before the year end. 2: There's a 'crinoline lady' hand embroidery which I adore, maybe half way through, and 3: I've started a hinged box cover with 'telephone' embroidered on the top - obviously this will hold my little phone book.
This morning I finished (hang out the flags!) a 'crazy' double patchwork quilt which I'm pleased with as it's been knocking around for ages - I put it on one side as the final borders were a worry. If I was clever enough in the technology department I'd post a photo of it but I'm too thick.

threexnanny Sun 05-Jul-20 20:59:50

I have projects to do in the daytime because they require more energy or else natural daylight (cross stitch mostly), and either knitting or crochet in the evening if watching TV.
I try not to have more than two or three in progress, but usually lots more waiting to be started.

rubysong Sun 05-Jul-20 21:15:30

Lots in my head waiting for materials. I do have a muslin made for dressmaking which needs adjusting as I am obviously fatter than I thought I was. I have just bought equipment for starting to do linocut but the tools I have are a bit blunt and I haven't been able to sharpen them. I also have family history waiting to be written up and I have been trying to make fabric baskets but need some heavy duty interfacing. I have made the alterations to my Nativity stable and it now needs the ' new' walls colouring. (I have kept it up as DGD likes to play with it.). Beside me is a big box of paperwork I need to go through. It has been waiting two years. On the plus side I have completed my 'lockdown quilt, painted a Lloyd Loom linen basket and cleaned the oven. I haven't felt at all bored during these weeks.

Puzzler61 Sun 05-Jul-20 21:31:12

I have 2, counted cross stitch which is coming along very slowly, and I always have a jigsaw puzzle on the go.

B9exchange Sun 05-Jul-20 23:28:19

So far this lockdown I have knitted a sweater for 1 year old GS, a Sammy the Scarecrow for an 8 yr old GD, made a dress for another 12 yr old GD, and another for 11 yr old GD then with the remnants a baby dress for neighbour's child and a top for the scarecrow recipient. I had thought I could now make a dress for myself, and the material is sitting on the dining room table, but then one DiL asked me to make her a dress, so mine has been shelved.

I am feeling guilty, because friends have been making scrubs and scrub bags, but I get bored so easily and I just couldn't bear the thought of making the same things over and over again. I am lost in admiration for those that can churn out dozens of them!

Callistemon Sun 05-Jul-20 23:30:15

Well, there's the Nativity set .....

You did ask, Witzend!!
wink

And a couple of projects where I need more yarn but it has been out of stock for weeks now.

Westcoaster Mon 06-Jul-20 02:13:06

Only a single project on the go.

I'm hoping to finish off a cardy for DGD soon, then it's rest time for my poor trigger finger ... currently knitting with splint in situ which is not easy! Bought more wool recently to make sweaters for the grandkids and some socks for me, but it's going to have to wait.

Then it'll be some sewing of face-masks ... just ordered the nose bits from Amazon.

After that it'll be some card-making for approaching birthdays and when they're done, the dreaded C ones.

Witzend Mon 06-Jul-20 09:19:30

Goodness, some of you are so multi-talented, several craft-y skills on the go! Some v occasional plain sewing here, but otherwise just knitting - I can’t even crochet.

I do think about your poor old Nativity set, @Callistemon! Is it going to be languishing in dismembered bits for ever? (Though I suppose it’s not really ‘dismembered’, since it was never ‘membered’ in the first place.

I think of it at least partly because one of my on-the-go items is another - I was knitting Joseph’s hair last night! I’m doing the figures 2 at a time, so not too much stuffing and sewing up all at once. Not sure I could face it all otherwise.

Nearly all my current projects are ?things - I think because a) I wanted something cheerful to do during lockdown, and I had so many different coloured yarns to use up. Plus I thought it’d be nice to make things for Gdcs’ school ?fair raffles - 2 different schools come September.

So that means 3 of some things, 1 for Gdcs, 1 each for schools.

So far I’ve made 2 Jolly Snowmen wreaths (1 to go)
2 Big Fat F*** C*****mases (1 to go), and half of a Nativity set (one and a half to go)

Plus one H-word ‘treat bag’ (to use up garish orange) - one down, one to go.

On top of all that I found a nice pattern for S**ta hats for Gdcs, have just done the fluffy white brim on one so far, waiting for red chunky to arrive. 3 in all, since pattern includes baby size too.

All that should keep me going for a while, and once they’re all finished I shall hope to use up some of the stash with a rainbow garter stitch blanket for Gdcs.

At any rate, it all beats cleaning and tidying - never my favourite activities anyway (why is there no lazy-baggage emoji?)

travelsafar Mon 06-Jul-20 09:26:03

I have a pair of trousers on the go which i am sewing. I am struggling with how to get the perfect finish with an elasticated waist. The pattern is very old but the trousers fit perfectly and in the instructions i have to put two rows of elastic using a safety pin to thread it through. I would like to use the more modern version of sewing elastic to the band but nervous about attempting it in case i mess up. Any advise would be helpful. I also am knitting a jumper for my great nephew for the autum, I have knitted two cardis and matching hats for him, a scarf for one of my daughter's in law and a cardi for myself. Always have knitting on the go.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 06-Jul-20 09:41:42

I am trying to add one I did earlier.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 06-Jul-20 09:44:45

I'm amazed, I've done it! It took a while and I must now go for a lie down.
Your sewing is lovely Puzzler and thanks for your words of encouragement.

Witzend Mon 06-Jul-20 10:24:16

Your Good Queen Bess is amazing, @lovebeigecardigans1955 !

I do so admire all GNers’ artistic skills - I don’t possess a single
artistic gene, can’t draw for toffee.

Puzzler61 Mon 06-Jul-20 12:26:37

Well done lovebeige , you’ve probably surprised yourself that it’s worked (uploading a pic) - it’s a bit of magic really and so nice to be able to illustrate what you’ve told us about your needlework.

It’s an absolute masterpiece, fantastic job you’ve done! ?
Do you call it a sampler? Will you hang it?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 07-Jul-20 09:58:53

Thank you for your compliments. I just call it a wall hanging. It is a mix of patchwork, applique and quilting with buttons, old lace and sequins. It is hanging on a door as it is illustrated in the pic but I'm aware that it needs a fancier hanger - plastic doesn't do it justice, does it? I will have to put my thinking cap on for that.

I got the idea from an interiors magazine which had a beautiful painting of the same subject for hundreds of pounds - so beautiful but I couldn't justify spending that amount of money on a picture so I thought 'if I can draw it I can quilt it'. I'm very pleased with it. It's probably the best thing I've ever made.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 13-Jul-20 16:57:04

This is the 'crazy' quilt @Puzzler61 if I've uploaded it properly. It weighs a ton but I enjoyed making it.

NotTooOld Mon 13-Jul-20 17:12:14

That quilt is amazing, lovebeigecardigans. You are very skilled. I've got back into dressmaking in the lockdown. There are lots of websites where you can get patterns and fabric. I made a matching straight skirt and sleeveless top first and when that turned out alright I made some trousers. They turned out well and are wearable but slightly too big so I've bought some different fabric and this time will make a smaller size. (DH cannot understand the logic of this!). Incidentally, the poster above who was having trouble with elasticated trousers. why do you need two rows of elastic? One should do it and you just thread it through with a safety pin then sew up the hole. Make sure it is the right size before you do that, though! Other lockdown projects have been writing a coronavirus diary which I did until the end of the clapping for the NHS. It's now printed out and filed with other coronavirus stuff ready for the great grandchildren one day. (They'll probably stick it in the bin.) I've also got into painting greetings cards. This was more out of necessity as we are not going to the shops yet but it is quite enjoyable. I hate it when I don't have a project on the go although I mostly like to be outside if the weather is good.

Puzzler61 Mon 13-Jul-20 19:03:42

Well done! The quilt is such a riot of colour lovebeige and the beauty of that is it will fit in with any colour scheme.
I appreciate just how many hours of dedication you’ve put into that - but so rewarding to produce such an original cover.
When you’re putting it all together does it make your eyes ache? I think I might go cross-eyed. ?

Have you made it for your own home or for a gift?

Puzzler61 Mon 13-Jul-20 19:08:44

NotTooOld I think it’s good for us all to have several projects on the go since we are spending so much time at home.
Your greeting cards sound lovely - I took the easy option, wrote a list of all the occasions I needed cards for and ordered them all together from funky pigeon .com (not advertising - there are other companies!).=

ladymuck Mon 13-Jul-20 20:53:45

I don't feel so guilty now that I know I'm not the only who has UFOs (unfinished objects). I have three separate cross stitch projects and I am new to English Paper Piecing so have half-finished hexagons gradually coming together. Last year I bought an Easter wall hanging to quilt and still haven't got around to doing it...plus some applique.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 14-Jul-20 07:10:48

Never feel guilty ladymuck as it shows we have a creative side and surely that's a good thing - we're never bored, are we? My eyes sometimes feel tired Puzzler but what is really troubling me at the moment is backache which is painful when I get a violent twinge. This has got worse over lockdown so I have resolved to move about more as I don't want to seize up altogether.

BeeWitch Tue 14-Jul-20 09:17:52

Just finished a mermaid’s tail blanket with different front & back for a friend’s little granddaughter, knitting another Memory Box blanket for the SANDS charity, got some cards to make and a mixed media project to complete....