Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Is anyone actually achieving anything in this heat?

(72 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Tue 11-Aug-20 16:25:15

I am angry (hot) Sweat running down my back & I'm indoors! I've tinkered around the edge of jobs all day but I'm not getting very far. Are you finding it hard? I can't wait for the weather to break...

Witzend Sat 15-Aug-20 10:00:32

Last night in the blessed new cool, I finished the wreath bit of the H-word wreath I’m making for Gdcs.

Have made a bat to go on it, and a spider that needs sewing up plus 8 legs to attach, and a mini pumpkin, also needs sewing up and stuffing. Shall need 2 more items but still dithering over what. I have a witch pattern but it looks a) very fiddly, and b) as if TBH it won’t be worth the effort, since it doesn’t look brilliant even in the illustration.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 13-Aug-20 20:27:58

No storm but some rain and cooler. 20c at the moment 8.30pm, so should be a cooler night. I shall lay under the sheet tonight instead of on top.

So today I sowed the carrots and Chinese lettuce had my hair cut am sitting here perfectly comfortably. Phew at last!

TerriBull Thu 13-Aug-20 20:20:23

Here's to hoping the temperatures don't climb again to the unbearable 30s Puzzler smile

Puzzler61 Thu 13-Aug-20 19:46:05

Here in Worcs. similar too Terribull. Relief ! ?

TerriBull Thu 13-Aug-20 19:42:28

Yay! we've had a storm here in the south east, now a very comfortable 23 degrees thank God!

gillybob Thu 13-Aug-20 10:48:17

We have a cold and damp day here (again) on the North East coast. temperatures right now are 15 degrees. Summer? What summer?

henetha Thu 13-Aug-20 10:44:52

The weeds are growing madly and I just can't be bothered any more.

Tweedle24 Thu 13-Aug-20 09:26:52

Jaxjacky South Bucks.

The storms are so localised that one end of the town is getting the storms and the other is not. We had spectacular storms on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings and just the edge of one this morning. At least I have not had to water anything for a couple of days.

Lucca Thu 13-Aug-20 05:33:14

harrigran

What heat ? But neither did we get the storms.
I think it is time to turn the country upside down and let us northerners have some summer ?

I’m in Yorkshire and it’s been beautifully warm for days now !

MayBee70 Wed 12-Aug-20 23:28:19

I’m having the plastic roof replaced on a lean to shed next to the house so I’m having to clean it of several years of spider and wood louse habitation. So there’s no way that I can’t plod on with the cleaning process, plus moving everything out of there as well. Can’t do it early morning/late at night as I’m using a very loud wet or dry vacuum cleaner. I’ve also painted bits of the fence where the paint is peeling: can’t wait for it to cool down and possibly rain. However, instead of repainting all of the fences aI’m just painting over the bird poo splodges which really annoy me when I look out of the kitchen window. That’s the trouble with a dark brown fence, the bird poo really shows up. It’s quite satisfying though: a lot of gratification from very little effort. If only the spider web problem was so easy. I do feel rather guilty about all the little critters whose homes have been destroyed by me. Going to spray the shed with that chestnut spray in the hope it will deter them in future. At least one of my anti virus masks is coming in useful given that I’m still not going shopping.

Oopsminty Wed 12-Aug-20 23:10:01

I'm in the NW and yesterday and today it's been boiling

Clammy. Humid. Muggy. Hot.

Took my small dog out at 9pm this evening. Still oddly hot.

Will I sleep tonight? That is the question.

Evie64 Wed 12-Aug-20 23:00:34

PS: Filled a hot water bottle with cold water and froze it. I'm taking it to bed with me grin

Evie64 Wed 12-Aug-20 22:59:35

What have I achieved today? Had a cold shower, vacuumed downstairs, had another cold shower, watered garden, stuck head under the garden hose, cooked dinner, watched some TV, had another cold shower. It's been 32 here today with no wind and no rain. I'm thinking of going to live at the North Pole....... sunshine sunshine

Chewbacca Wed 12-Aug-20 22:54:23

Really harrigran? I'm in the NW and it's been exceptionally hot, sunny and humid for days now, with thunderstorms and torrential rain at night. It was 29 degrees this evening before this evening's storm burst.

harrigran Wed 12-Aug-20 22:47:22

What heat ? But neither did we get the storms.
I think it is time to turn the country upside down and let us northerners have some summer ?

NanKate Wed 12-Aug-20 22:28:18

You cheeky French minx Norstat ?This is either the Eiffel Tower or Blackpool Tower, take your pick.

Chewbacca Wed 12-Aug-20 21:57:01

We've got a 2nd night of thunder and lightening here now. I do love a good storm! ⚡?⛈

EllanVannin Wed 12-Aug-20 20:54:37

The sky here is the dirtiest orangey/grey you've ever seen. It's like Armageddon. Goodness me. The other side of the house it's fiery red. No wind to blow it all away.

Nandalot Wed 12-Aug-20 20:21:49

Well, apart from hiding from the heat, this morning I dropped a full cup of tea on the living room carpet. I sorted that out and washed the cover from the couch which had caught a splash or two, and then this afternoon dropped a whole glass of half apple juice and half water on the unprotected couch cushions. Blame the heat!

Puzzler61 Wed 12-Aug-20 20:17:28

I’ve been indoors Mary and hiding from it. A fan is blowing in front of my chair and it’s been bearable. The heat has been fierce and it’s drained my enthusiasm to do anything physical.
I think we have 1 more day of it before it cools.
Keep hydrated and do what’s necessary and not a lot more I’d say. ?

Callistemon Wed 12-Aug-20 20:06:51

We had a sudden strong wind about half an hour ago and now a thunderstorm.
It has cooled down a bit thank goodness.
I've been trying to deal with a glut of vegetables today, not very sensible in this heat but needed to be done.

lemongrove Wed 12-Aug-20 20:04:17

3nanny6

We finally got the rain about 2 hours ago but not much of it,
although it does seem a little bit cooler. Maybe I am just feeling cooler because I was so hot and sweaty I took my dress off.
I have fans all over the house but it is still humid so sitting here in my knickeroos with the fan blowing.
I think I better buy one of those portable air coolers as not the best of sights with hardly any clothes on.

I could have written your post? but I went one better and had a really cool shower as well.One in the morning and another one in the evening is the way to go.

mbmb Wed 12-Aug-20 19:41:20

DannieRae you're more than welcome!

3nanny6 Wed 12-Aug-20 19:36:02

We finally got the rain about 2 hours ago but not much of it,
although it does seem a little bit cooler. Maybe I am just feeling cooler because I was so hot and sweaty I took my dress off.
I have fans all over the house but it is still humid so sitting here in my knickeroos with the fan blowing.
I think I better buy one of those portable air coolers as not the best of sights with hardly any clothes on.

DanniRae Wed 12-Aug-20 19:21:09

Is there room for two on your sofa mbmb? - every room in my house is hot