Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Very simple stash-buster blanket.

(39 Posts)
Witzend Wed 30-Sep-20 09:30:26

I saw the idea on another forum and was wondering whether anyone else had made one. If so, how did it turn out, and any tips? Just 2 row stripes in garter stitch - seemed ideal for my vast stash of a mass of different colours.
As the person put it, mindless knitting while watching TV!

I’ve got 100 stitches of DK on 4mm needles - it’ll come out at about 55 cm wide so I’ll make the length similar, will need another 3 pieces similar or maybe more - will have to see - for Gdcs.

I’m not going to sew in all those ends! Will just knot to make a fringe. Will probably join the pieces visibly with a colourful chunky yarn, not sure what stitch, so any suggestions welcome.
This is it so far - given the sort of things I’ve been making, there aren’t many tasteful colours in my stash!

Grammaretto Mon 12-Oct-20 09:17:56

Well done witzend

My yarn group have been knitting patchwork blankets with no sewing in ends. The mitred square:
www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/335447872242188792/

However, it's not mindless enough for me so I think yours is easier.

henetha Mon 12-Oct-20 09:30:31

What a brilliant idea. I might copy it, if you don't mind.
A few years ago there was an organisation which wanted blankets for babies somewhere, so I used up left over wool for that. I don't know if they still exist.

henetha Mon 12-Oct-20 09:31:27

P.S The organisation, I mean.

Witzend Mon 12-Oct-20 09:37:08

Yes, I’ve seen a few mitred patterns, Grammaretto - they do look brilliant, and I’d love to be able to knit one without frequently going wrong, having to undo a row and cursing most foully, but alas I’m afraid it would never happen!

Callistemon Mon 12-Oct-20 10:07:43

Could you crochet them together Witzend? Instead of using invisible stitches, make them a feature?

You mentioned the 'N' word grin

Bathsheba Mon 12-Oct-20 11:55:18

I made one of those mitred square blankets several years ago Grammaretto. It was so lovely not having any ends to sew in! The only downside is you do have to be aware of colour placement because, unlike blankets made from individual squares, once it's done you can't change your mind!

Bathsheba Mon 12-Oct-20 14:38:03

Witzend

Yes, I’ve seen a few mitred patterns, Grammaretto - they do look brilliant, and I’d love to be able to knit one without frequently going wrong, having to undo a row and cursing most foully, but alas I’m afraid it would never happen!

After your fabulous 'N' word sets last year, you would have no difficulty at all - they are so easy to do. Seriously! Give it a try smile

Witzend Mon 12-Oct-20 15:53:41

Apologies for using the ‘N’ word, Callistemon - I hope it didn’t bring you out in shivers of dread of Things Left Undone (assuming they still are...)

Alas I never did learn to crochet, and I don’t feel like starting now, so that’s not an option. Looks as if it’s going to be a not very neat edge to edge stitch, then.

Callistemon Mon 12-Oct-20 16:43:52

I have Left Undone Those Things which I Ought to have Done!

Callistemon Mon 12-Oct-20 16:45:15

I only just taught myself to crochet last year, Witzend
Two different stitches only so far.

Witzend Mon 12-Oct-20 19:43:08

I should learn, I know, esp. since I inherited a whole set of crochet hooks from my mother, as well as her collection of knitting needles.

But dare I say I’ve got a bit of a Thing about crochet? I know it’s irrational, but it dates back to a housemate I had for a year or two before I was married - she was endlessly crocheting absolutely hideous ponchos in the most garish colours. She was lovely, but I lived in dread of her making me one, and not only having to pretend to like it, but having to wear it!

Nannina Thu 29-Oct-20 10:16:58

I’m a great fan of the mitred blanket. I belong to an online group which supports lots of charities who welcome blankets. The group received a large donation of yarn packs normally given free with magazines, 4 of which I used to make a very colourful lap blanket with no sewing up?

Callistemon Fri 30-Oct-20 15:01:01

Anything that doesn't require sewing up is fine with me!