Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

It looked so simple on the box! Cross stitch [hmm]

(31 Posts)
bikergran Sat 17-Oct-20 20:22:41

Have been trying to think of a little something to dO.

Called in well know German supermarket thisaft and spotted this £3.99. thought ohh little simple project.

Opened the box and gosh! looks complicated, last bit of cross stitch I did was a letter "L" in a little 2 inch by 2 inch frame lol.

Will read the instructions then make a start when I retrieve my reading glasses from work smile (Don't wait up)!

Whiff Tue 03-Nov-20 21:37:49

Bikergran I took up cross stitch 4 years ago . Wish I had done it decades before. Could never understand how crosses would make picture. I love it it's so relaxing. I mainly use 14 count Aida. Have used 16 and 18. Tried evenweave but couldn't get on with it. I brought a little kit off Amazon . Made many mistakes. But was hooked. I then brought cross stitcher magazine and did the free kit that comes with every issue. The biggest thing I have made was a Triumph motor bike for my brother's 60 th birthday. Took me 3 months almost 28,000 crosses. No back stitch.

I know some people don't like back stitching but it's what makes the design come to life.

I subscribe to cross stitcher and the world of cross stitching.

I suggest you buy a magazine and try again. The world of cross stitching has readers work in it and has many small designs. I buy my Aida buy the metre of e bay as it's the cheapest but good quality and British made. I use DMC threads only 68p from lakeside needlecraft

Alishka Tue 03-Nov-20 21:14:00

I've chuckled my way through thisgrin Brilliant thread (see what I did there?)

bikergran Wed 21-Oct-20 14:59:19

Think I borrowed some books from the library and made these. Maybe as others have said, start off with little kit that usually has everything in, plus they are small enough to complete.

Callistemon Wed 21-Oct-20 13:03:12

Thanks lynx

I did once make a couple of cross stitch cards from kits that came with a magazine.
They looked a bit wonky when finished so I didn't send them to anyone.

lynx Wed 21-Oct-20 11:50:58

The comments above have given me a chuckle today, sorry and thank you! I have cross stitched for years but still remember the initial panics. Just follow the instructions and don't give up.
Aida fabric is woven with holes to put the needle through, 14 count has 14 holes per inch and is usually the best for beginners. Good luck to those starting new projects.

bikergran Sun 18-Oct-20 18:28:42

Luckylegs maybe have a google/youtube beginners cross stitch.

I'm going to have another go but something smaller.

I once made a little fisherman and a cat holding a mouse.I will look out for it, I found them in my mums photo album, I had forgotten I had made them many years ago.

Luckylegs Sun 18-Oct-20 18:07:46

Isn’t it funny how a subject comes up on GN just when you happened to have embarked on something? I have today been given a magazine and a small kit by a kind neighbour to try to interest myself in something other than cleaning and my iPad!

I’m going to go to a sewing shop to get the stuff. I have no idea what an aida is, or half stitches! Do I have to bone up on all this first?

twinnytwin Sun 18-Oct-20 17:42:51

I've just completed my first cross stitch project - my eldest GDs name, 5 letters, from a chart. I realised pretty soon that sewing the first letter without a magnifier thingy, together with a glass or two of wine in front of the tv is not a good idea. Off to Hobbycraft the following day. Trouble is the second GD has seen it, and wants one too.

bikergran Sun 18-Oct-20 17:20:32

Nanagem not really sure what the end product was, I did think I could make it into a doorstop. But seeing as though It's now back in the box, who knows lol.

Callistemon Sun 18-Oct-20 14:36:20

it looks to be about 14 hpi so shouldn't be too difficult to do half x stitches.
That sounds like a foreign language to me!

Sunlover Sun 18-Oct-20 12:42:40

I’ve been doing a cross stitch for my granddaughters bedroom. Finding it hard on my eyes. Just bought a magnifying glass that hangs round my neck to see if it makes things easier. Trying out later so will report back.

Chewbacca Sun 18-Oct-20 12:39:40

That looks a nice kit Callistemon, it looks to be about 14 hpi so shouldn't be too difficult to do half x stitches.
I nipped into a charity shop yesterday to look for a knitting pattern and noticed that their crafting section has a lot of half completed cross stitch kits and embroidery kits in stock! So we're not alone!

Puzzler61 Sun 18-Oct-20 12:35:12

That’s a cute one Cally. Give it a go. ?

Callistemon Sun 18-Oct-20 11:14:58

I bought this one years ago because it reminded me of DD.
I might try to do it for her 40th birthday! Occasionally I get it out and think 'oh, that's lovely', then it keeps getting put back in the box.

Nanagem Sun 18-Oct-20 10:40:46

It looks simple enough if a little daunting to start with, pick one panel,the easiest to start with, bind the edge of your fabric and run a running stick dividing into 4 so you get your centre and work from there out.

What is the finished item used for , it’s sweet

Chewbacca Sun 18-Oct-20 10:31:12

If it makes you feel any better bikergran, when DIL was pregnant with GD, I bought a kit for a sampler of the alphabet for the nursery. Every letter had a little picture to represent each letter. I got to H and put it away in despair. When GS was on the way, I dug it out again and got to L. Which is where it still is. GD is 8 and GS is 4. And I've no idea where the sampler is! grin

Puzzler61 Sun 18-Oct-20 10:21:49

Good Luck , and enjoy doing it. That’s the main thing. ?

DanniRae Sun 18-Oct-20 09:35:25

I'm about to go on the site named after a famous river (no not the Nile) to look for a printed cross stitch picture to do for my baby grandson's wall. I did one years ago and it turned out ok but the eyes aren't what they used to be.......wish me luck! smile

bikergran Sun 18-Oct-20 08:38:30

DanniRae it went back in the box within about 10 mins lol.Didn't realize how much work was involved, I shall try a smaller kit next time hmm

Puzzler61 Sun 18-Oct-20 08:38:23

If it’s counted cross stitch it’s a longer project. You could start with a printed cross stitch, where the pattern is already on the aida fabric.
I’m always attracted by the finished ‘picture’ and some can be painstaking work.

DanniRae Sun 18-Oct-20 08:30:41

I think as soon as I saw it was '3D' I would have walked away but you are probably more skilled in cross stitch than I am.
Having said that it is very cute.
Let us know how you get on smile

bikergran Sun 18-Oct-20 08:22:45

lol..

Chewbacca Sun 18-Oct-20 00:17:30

That's a shame bikergran, but if it's on smaller aida than a 14 hpi (holes per inch) I'd struggle now to see to do half x stitches without my magnifier and daylight lamp too. I've had several kits from that supermarket, the most recent being their needle felting kit to make a fox. The less said the better! grin

bikergran Sat 17-Oct-20 21:28:46

"realize"

bikergran Sat 17-Oct-20 21:28:12

Chewbacca Not sure what count it is I seem to think the tiny version. I have managed on row of half stitch then realized I had missed some holes hmm its gone back in the box lol, I think it may be on it's way to a charity shop very soon.

Next time I shall stick to smaller project.Didn't realize how much work needs to go into it.

But a nice little kit, they even included the stuffing.