Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What do you do with all the lovely things that you make?

(124 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sun 15-Nov-20 15:16:47

Well I am presuming they are lovely!
The time spent making them can’t equate to the price that they could be sold for and not all of you want to have a stall at a craft fair. There must be a limit to how many cushions, tapestries ect. that you and your families want.
I’m asking as I’m expecting another * from my sister for Christmas. I want to shout “it’s just fabulous but I don’t want another one”!
The things she makes are really lovely, thank goodness, and I feel very ungrateful but I can’t help it.

Unigran4 Tue 17-Nov-20 00:25:37

JaneRn: The Remnant House in Harrogate do a very wide range of fabrics. You can buy online, and don't be fooled by the name, you can buy as much as you like by the metre. Check out their website.

SueEH Tue 17-Nov-20 08:10:32

I've been crocheting blankets etc for my daughters for Christmas.... as well as the usual scarves etc. Was very excited to be asked to make mini blankets for a colleague's little nieces - and even more excited to be paid for them! She insisted so I asked for £10 each. Had I charged for the yarn and my time they would have been nearer £75 shock

Beechnut Tue 17-Nov-20 08:42:31

They’re lovely SueEH.

vegansrock Tue 17-Nov-20 08:57:27

You undercharged SueEH. Blankets are lovely .

Grammaretto Tue 17-Nov-20 09:22:16

WOW!! such a lot of loving and lovely work here.
I was told that the current generation is the third who are not taught to knit. I hope this is untrue.
I am a potter by training and try not to just give pots to the family. But I sometimes break my own rules. I make to order now and supply a couple of shops. It about covers my running costs. I used to teach community education but I have retired from that.

I also join a craft group once a week which is very friendly and sociable. We hope to re-meet this week in RL.
The knitters make things for all kinds of charities - already mentioned here (babies, sailors, homeless and to raise funds for various charities) Some are so good they knit samples for knitwear companies.
Others make lace, crochet, sew patchwork. I don't believe they ever run out of ideas or people to make for.
I spin and knit (a little) and learn new techniques from the others - in normal times.

Chardy Tue 17-Nov-20 11:01:46

I miss my weekly craft group meetings.

GardenofEngland Tue 17-Nov-20 13:08:06

Since giving up drinking I have rediscovered crafting! To the point hubby bought me a sewing machine. Have made 6 cushions (envelope) not ready to do zips yet! Knitted 2 hat and gloves sets 2 Christmas and dino jumpers for grandsons covered 6 old dining chair cushions, made 2 bench seats for toy boxes...its all getting a bit obsessive now using old scraps of wool to make pumpkins. Have to say all are greatly received by my daughters...all this in 107 days alcohol free!

Callistemon Tue 17-Nov-20 14:09:12

SueEH they are lovely.

I have a pattern for a blanket in that wavy style but the instructions look like Double Dutch to me so I am only managing Granny blankets so far.

fevertree Tue 17-Nov-20 15:12:03

GardenofEngland huge congrats on your 107 days!

I'm a bit obsessive too about sewing and reinventing stuff by re-using fabric. I do a sewing class on Zoom and I was also nervous of zips on cushion covers, until we did one by joining two pieces of fabric by sewing in the zip first, easy peasy, and then sewing around the edges. In other words the zip is sewn about two-thirds up on the back of the cushion (not on the seam).

Witzend Tue 17-Nov-20 15:39:25

Those ‘seascape’ blankets are really lovely!

dogsmother Tue 17-Nov-20 15:59:29

I envy you all, wish I could find something to be good at. I knitted a jumper for my 5 year old first born to wear for school and was so pleased with myself until he asked after a few wears if he could have the same as his friends wore ....
I haven’t made anything since.

GardenofEngland Wed 18-Nov-20 00:40:58

Thanks and for the tip on zips will give it a try when I work out the zipper foot on the machinewink

Witzend Wed 18-Nov-20 09:01:29

That’s the trouble with stashbusting projects, @Callistemon - so often there’s the one colour you don’t have enough of. Just before lockdown 2 I had to nip out and buy enough red for Gdcs’ stockings - I had enough of everything else, but was still in a tizz in case the green ran out - bit of a ‘phew’ moment when it held out.
(I wouldn’t dream of mentioning the NS!)

Callistemon Wed 18-Nov-20 09:46:01

Now, if I bought another very large ball of Aran, I could finish off that blanket properly. But I'd be left with three-quarters of a huge ball of teal Aran yarn. hmm

MagicWriter2016 Wed 18-Nov-20 21:15:05

Anything I make myself goes to a charity of some description, it makes me feel as though I am giving something back to those not as fortunate as I have been.

Grandmafrench Wed 18-Nov-20 21:48:50

JaneRN

stonefabrics.co.uk

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 10:16:48

Finished!! Started in the first lock down and finished in the second. They will be delivered to two offspring on 1st December along with the two father Christmases DH made and I’m going to make some Christmas German biscuits to pop in the parcel along with advent calendars for grandchildren (they are 16 and 20?)

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 23:10:03

Christmas German biscuits sound interesting, Whitewave.
How long will they keep?

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 23:12:44

Sorry, I should have said, the Christmas decorations are lovely.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Nov-20 04:58:36

Callistemon

Christmas German biscuits sound interesting, Whitewave.
How long will they keep?

In this case about half an hour once the boys find them!

Lebkuchen - normal biscuit keeping time, so I usually make a batch a couple of days before Christmas for over the Christmas period.

Mrst1405 Sat 21-Nov-20 15:17:13

I'm a life long knitter and the trick is to keep up with trends. Modern mums don't really do matinee jackets, they like crossover kimono tops. Beanie hats are loved and socks go down very well with nearly everyone. I've just sent some dolls and clothing to my dgd for Christmas.

Callistemon Sat 21-Nov-20 15:42:29

Ha, ha Whitewave!
In this case about half an hour once the boys find them!
I thought that would be the answer

I thought they'd be made for Advent but didn't think they'd last for all that time. ?
Now, I need to find a recipe without ginger or ground almonds.

Witzend Sat 28-Nov-20 19:42:09

Those wreaths are fantastic, @Whitewavemark2!

Ditto the dolls, @Mrst1405 ! I’m sure your Gdd will be very pleased.