Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Squares- knitting advice

(7 Posts)
MawBe Sun 22-Nov-20 12:48:07

I am knitting a throw made up of 36 x 10” squares which I am knitting diagonally, corner to corner, in three shades of Icelandic wool - a darkish beige, light beige and winter white, 12 of each .
Do you think I should have the diagonal rows going at right angles to each other as was my original thought or, as there is a mix of colours, might that just look busy and untidy and would it look better to have them all going in the same direction?
(First pic is the same direction, second, going in different directions )
I know I can lay it out on the spare bed when I have finished the squares but hoped your collective knowledge might be helpful in advance!

Namsnanny Sun 22-Nov-20 13:10:28

Lovely colours Maw. I might try laying them as in picture one, but grouped in colour blocks.
But to be honest it would look good what ever you did.

B9exchange Sun 22-Nov-20 13:11:30

I prefer the alternative herringbone effect, but that is just me. It is gorgeous Maw, I admire your dedication on taking on a project that size, lovely colours!

Doodledog Sun 22-Nov-20 16:03:39

I prefer the herringbone, too.

I also like the muted colours. It will be a lovely blanket when it is finished.

Callistemon Sun 22-Nov-20 16:15:35

I've just downloaded a knitting pattern for a blanket made of squares, not sure if I can share it (it cost all of 50p but it may have a copyright).
I was going to try to adapt it and make mitred squares, picking up the stitches so that I don't have to sew the squares together, but they are arranged a bit differently which I liked.

It would work with fewer colours too, I think.

www.deramores.com/products/autumnal-merino-blanket-knitting-kit-and-pattern-in-deramores

Callistemon Sun 22-Nov-20 16:19:20

I think either way would be fine, herring bone or otherwise but I'd prefer herringbone.

With a mitred blanket the line through the middle goes in the same direction.

SueDonim Sun 22-Nov-20 16:24:47

I prefer the herringbone. Such lovely warm colours, too!