Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

I need a bright desk lamp to help me do jigsaws.

(19 Posts)
Sophiasnana Fri 04-Dec-20 16:13:41

Help. I have now bought four desk lamps from Amazon, and each one turned out to be rubbish. Two only had an hour running time before the power ran out. Two were not nearly bright enough. I want something powerful and rechargable. Any ideas welcome!

MawBe Fri 04-Dec-20 18:17:13

Serious Readers - not cheap but the best out there. Recommended by my optometrist (who also gave me a voucher for 20% or similar, off the list price. )
Google them, they are excellent.

SpringyChicken Fri 04-Dec-20 18:20:31

Isn't it the bulb that's the problem, not the lamps? Daylight white led bulbs are very very bright and low wattage. What size bulb do your lamps take - I'll look for a bulb for you online.

PamelaJ1 Fri 04-Dec-20 18:22:46

A friend of mine, also an optometrist, also recommended that make for my DH. We chose the next to basic one. Can’t remember what that level was called though.

phoenix Fri 04-Dec-20 18:51:56

Why rechargeable?

Is there a reason you can't just have a plug in one, Sophiasnana?

Chardy Fri 04-Dec-20 19:03:06

For craft I bought a desk lamp, a matching floor lamp from Wilko and their own brand globe (??) bulbs (screw-in small), and they are so bright, really bright. Almost too bright!!
www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-2-pack-small-screw-e14ses-led-round-light-bulb-non-dimmable/p/0499141

Sophiasnana Fri 04-Dec-20 19:33:08

Phoenix, prefer battery operated rechargable, as none of the plug in electric ones seem to come with long enough cables to reach my power socket.

Sophiasnana Fri 04-Dec-20 19:36:22

Serious Readers look fantastic, but at £250 for a table lamp, are a bit out of my price range just for using to do jigsaws!

bikergran Fri 04-Dec-20 19:38:53

Sophiasnana I suppose I am stating the obvious, what about an extension or if you have a friend with knowledge you could maybe put a longer cable on a lamp.

lemongrove Fri 04-Dec-20 20:29:23

I only do online jigsaws now, so easy to see and don’t cost a penny.

Maggiemaybe Fri 04-Dec-20 20:37:15

We bought a Gladle LED cordless rechargeable table lamp on Amazon a few weeks ago for £30, based on its great reviews. It’s small, but that’s what we wanted. Easily adjustable brightness levels and poseable. It takes a few hours to charge, but we’ve only had to do it twice. I’d recommend it.

Witzend Sat 05-Dec-20 09:03:04

Would an extension lead not help?

Happysexagenarian Thu 24-Dec-20 11:34:36

I use Daylight lamps for crafting. There are various models, some with magnifiers if needed. They give a cool white light and ghe light units can be replaced. They are a bit expensive but worth every penny.

Alternatively Argos sell a Habitat clip on white LED light which is quite good (about £18), I bought one for DH to clip to his scroll saw and it lights up the cutting area really well.

Nagmad2016 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:39:20

I just bought set of 3 Auraglow rechargeable lamps from QVC, very reasonable and touch control so you can have low, med, or high each level lasts different times. If you got them all charged (usb sockets so I plug mine into computer so I can see the keyboard without putting light on). Would recommend these so far.

Susan56 Thu 24-Dec-20 12:39:01

My husband wore a headlamp whilst doing our latest jigsaw?

Ailidh Thu 24-Dec-20 12:46:33

I've got a set of bendy neck lights that I use for crocheting dark yarn when the day light isn't good. Cheap ish from Amazon. Hang on, I'll look www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071FJFGQY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_Y0i5Fb3JA93W8?tag=gransnetforum-21

Under £13, lightweight, Bright, directional ?

Dottynan Thu 24-Dec-20 12:52:31

If you look up replacement bulbs for serious reader why not a cheap lamp that takes the bulbs. It is only the bulb that gives you the light

Spangler Thu 24-Dec-20 15:07:19

Sophiasnana all you need, as others have said, is an extension cable, that's if the lamp cable is too short. If you look up Hobbycraft, you will find a very good illuminated, magnifying lamp. Perfect for jigsaws and so much more.

Blossoming Thu 24-Dec-20 15:47:57

Dottynan

If you look up replacement bulbs for serious reader why not a cheap lamp that takes the bulbs. It is only the bulb that gives you the light

It isn’t only the bulbs, it’s the spread and angle of the light too. A very bright spotlight might only illuminate a small part of the jigsaw.